testtest

PMAG .308 25 rounders any good?

308Lover

Operator
Founding Member
Anybody have any experience with the PMAG 25 rounder 7.62 mags? I was looking at some of those ones with the window https://www.magpul.com/products/pmag-25-lrsr-gen-m3-window?ProductColor=VO343, but wanted some feedback before I bought any. I own a bunch of their 20 rounders and really like them, but have tried the longer ones. I wonder why they did not make any 30s? Just too long, or wonder if there were functioning issues...

They are excellent. I have never had an issue with them over multiple AR10 guns, or even in the Galil ACE. They are my go to 308 AR mag.

I think length and weight are the reasons they are not as popular, and why there are not 30's. A drum, and they make a great one, is probably a better option at that point. I had some 30 round FAL mags back in the day and they were both heavy to use, and very hard to load. That spring tension for the last few rounds is a beast!

I bought some Pmag 25's for my Ruger SR762 AR10 & RPR .308 Bolt action rifles. They all functioned without any problems whatsoever. I shoot from a bench with the rifles using Bi-pods. But I do find that the lower capacity Mags allow for shooting with the bi-pods lower, allowing a better position for scope viewing (at least for me). I do the same for my slew of AR15's & AK47's where I originally used 30's & a coupled 40 round mag(s), I now use 10 round mags. I preload 10, 10 round mags for 100 cartridges and find with the lower bi-pod legs setting I can get a better position on the scope with good accuracy.
But as I say, the 25 rounds were fine for both rifles. I haven't seen any 30 rounders, but perhaps they exist.

Some good stuff, at the minimum buy a couple and see how it works for you.

Yes, I have six 25rd pmags, and three 20rd pmags all in 7.62, all run flawlessly, I keep the 25 rounders with my SHTF plate carrier rig on a HSGI X2R taco shingle. Fits great.

IMG_20191122_172901.jpg

I haven't seen any 30 rounders, but perhaps they exist.

Magpul doesn't make 30rd pmags for the 7.62x51 but I do believe they - or someone else - makes 50rd drums for AR-10 / SR-25 rifles, depending on what exactly you're running.

I bought some Pmag 25's for my Ruger SR762 AR10 & RPR .308 Bolt action rifles. They all functioned without any problems whatsoever. I shoot from a bench with the rifles using Bi-pods. But I do find that the lower capacity Mags allow for shooting with the bi-pods lower, allowing a better position for scope viewing (at least for me). I do the same for my slew of AR15's & AK47's where I originally used 30's & a coupled 40 round mag(s), I now use 10 round mags. I preload 10, 10 round mags for 100 cartridges and find with the lower bi-pod legs setting I can get a better position on the scope with good accuracy.
But as I say, the 25 rounds were fine for both rifles. I haven't seen any 30 rounders, but perhaps they exist.
So true on low cap with bipods!

I wouldn't mind a 50+ mag, but it does weigh a bunch! The 25s are a good weight. How about +5 and 10s for them! The price on the 50s aren't cheap!

Thanks! Its a Colt CM762 Modular Carbine .308. It has an Eotech Vudu 1-6x in an Eotech prs mount and the Magpul D50 drum with RailScales G10 dragon rail panels. Its my baby! 🤘
For some weird reason I see my 2020 gun budget growing this year.

For some weird reason I see my 2020 gun budget growing this year.
Thats a good thing brother! 😁💪🏻🇺🇸 If you do go to find one, You may have to resort to gunbroker. Almost everybody got wiped out of them back in August. I got mine locally for 1720 after taxes, but they were 1499 for a while. That was a total steal. I personally would have even went higher if I had to, but I really wanted one. The hard thing to find atm is the bcg and the adaptor for running 5.56 uppers.

Back