testtest

Portable Shooting Action Target

KLGunner

Staff member
So i'm building a portable shooting target and i'd like y'alls help. To give you a little backstory 3 years ago strong winds took the roof off of my neighbors house and landed it on the tailgate of my truck damaging it beyond repair. So with the help of a carpenter friend we made a wooden tailgate for my Ford F-150. The idea came to mind to make that wooden tailgate a detachable portable shooting action target all in one. The layout idea i have is to make it have fold outs holding spinner targets and one large silhouette target holder in the middle. So here what i need help with. i want ideas for material to use and which targets to put on it spinners and all. The truck is a short bed so i'm working with 6' long. Links to sites are good or even just tell me brand names. Tell me how you'd design it.

For the targets, I would incorporate AR500 steel plates. That way you get longevity out of the target system. Perhaps utilize springs that deploy arms that hold the targets and barrings to help them spin. I would also make an attachment point to the tailgate handle. That would enable the tailgate to be used standing up on one side with a support beam at a 45 degree angle at the handle point and on any surface to stand it up on.

I have made something some what along the same lines. Three 26x1x2 tube steel welded to a garbage disposal flange, using the angle set the flange weld iron to the flange like a pin wheel. Then some nuts at the far out side ends and half way in. Now that the base is done spray it with bedliner and use a section of chicken wire in a loop as the upright portion. Attach the wire with zipties. This works for paper, cardboard, balloons or just tape targets. The wire itself is very resilient and easily replaceable.

The set up does great against wind as it can weighed down in the center or anchored with a ground auger.

It breaks down fast and is easily stowed.

Last edited:
For the targets, I would incorporate AR500 steel plates. That way you get longevity out of the target system. Perhaps utilize springs that deploy arms that hold the targets and barrings to help them spin. I would also make an attachment point to the tailgate handle. That would enable the tailgate to be used standing up on one side with a support beam at a 45 degree angle at the handle point and on any surface to stand it up on.
i don't plan on the truck being attached at all. im wanting to be able to back into the range and drop the whole setup as one. then pick it up when i'm done shooting.

I have made something some what along the same lines. Three 18x1x2 tube steel welded to a garbage disposal flange, using the angle set the flange weld iron to the flange like a pin wheel. Then some nuts at the far out side ends and half way in. Now that the base is done spray it with bedliner and use a section of chicken wire in a loop as the upright portion. Attach the wire with zipties. This works for paper, cardboard, balloons or just tape targets. The wire itself is very resilient and easily replaceable.

The set up does great against wind as it can weighed down in the center or anchored with a ground auger.

It breaks down fast and is easily stowed.
What targets did you use? Any spinners or action targets?

Im having a hard time thinking of how this will work. Is the gate removable? If so how heavy do you think it will be?
It's fixed ATM. But i plan on making it detachable by using quick clamps or something along those lines. i also plan on everything stowing in the bed of the truck all the time if not at range.

What targets did you use? Any spinners or action targets?
Nothing of the sort yet, the base was the first thing to get sorted. Now I am looking at how to make varried attachments to enable different targets.

I have a few bits of AR500 that I have been saving, i just havent had a chance to get to it.

i don't plan on the truck being attached at all. im wanting to be able to back into the range and drop the whole setup as one. then pick it up when i'm done shooting.
Yes, I was thinking you would take the tailgate off. Stand it up on one side. Deploy the arms that extend to the left and right side of the tailgate. Utilize the spinning targets outside of the actual tailgate frame. Then add a standard size target in AR500 steel in the center that slightly canted down so that you don't get rounds bouncing back at you. The mount that attaches to the handle would allow a pole of sorts to attach to the handle. At the end where the pole sits on the ground, that should be in the shape of an upside down T. That would stabilize the tailgate when it's being shot. Hard to describe without making you schematic diagram.

Yes, I was thinking you would take the tailgate off. Stand it up on one side. Deploy the arms that extend to the left and right side of the tailgate. Utilize the spinning targets outside of the actual tailgate frame. Then add a standard size target in AR500 steel in the center that slightly canted down so that you don't get rounds bouncing back at you. The mount that attaches to he handle would allow a pole of sorts to attach to the handle. At the end were the pole sits on the ground,that shout be in the shape of an upside down T. That would stabilize the tailgate when it's being shot. Hard to describe without making you schematic diagram.
i understand what your saying now! hey i don't mind a schematic diagram. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 might make my job easier.

Sorry I misunderstood...lol
Thought you wanted turn your tailgate into a mobile target system.
i do but the wooden tailgate would be my base that sits on the ground and everything else would be facing upward once its on the ground. this way when i stow it it would all lay flat in bed of truck. without having to detach anything from it. if that makes sense.

i do but the wooden tailgate would be my base that sits on the ground and everything else would be facing upward once its on the ground. this way when i stow it it would all lay flat in bed of truck. without having to detach anything from it. if that makes sense.
Absolutely does. I will draft a few ideas up tomorrow and send them to you to better explain what I would imagine it is that you asked about and what I interpreted...lol

Here's a pic
Resized_11e87943-487e-4366-a470-e68631d30bd4_91134042307473.jpeg

Back