testtest

Powder accuracy for .223

Hello,
I have been waiting for 5 months for Varget powder for my AR .223 w/16" barrel. Another option is 4064. No luck, Got the rest, including Hornady 75 gr BTHP. and Sierra 69 gr HPBT.

I have been using Hornady Black 75 gr loaded cartridges, and Frontier (Hornady) 62 gr (both HPBT) until I can find powder for 75 gr. I'm getting a 2-1/2" group at 300 yds with my Vortex 4 - 16 x 40 scope.

My Lyman manual said Varget was their powder of choice, with 4064 running a close second for accuracy.

So I wrote Hornady, and simply asked them what type of powder do they use in their 75 gr Black cartridges. They were working so well for me. I probably should have inquired about the primer as well. No sense pushing my luck.

Their response was that they "blend" all their own powder mixes for different cartridges, but suggested I try CFE 223, BL-C2 or Win 748 for the 75 gr BTHP.
Maybe he was being kind by insinuating that their blend for this cartridge came from a combination of those three I mentioned, I have no way of knowing.

The burn rates of the powders mentioned are all very close to each other, CFE-223 being the farthest out on the list, a slower powder in a group of 12.

So I'm asking if someone shooting heavier bullets like 69 - 75 gr in .223, has had good luck amongst the group of Win 748, Varget, 4064, or BL-C(2)

I'm shooting 200 yds to 500 yds for now.

Thanks,
Robert

Hello,
I have been waiting for 5 months for Varget powder for my AR .223 w/16" barrel. Another option is 4064. No luck, Got the rest, including Hornady 75 gr BTHP. and Sierra 69 gr HPBT.

I have been using Hornady Black 75 gr loaded cartridges, and Frontier (Hornady) 62 gr (both HPBT) until I can find powder for 75 gr. I'm getting a 2-1/2" group at 300 yds with my Vortex 4 - 16 x 40 scope.

My Lyman manual said Varget was their powder of choice, with 4064 running a close second for accuracy.

So I wrote Hornady, and simply asked them what type of powder do they use in their 75 gr Black cartridges. They were working so well for me. I probably should have inquired about the primer as well. No sense pushing my luck.

Their response was that they "blend" all their own powder mixes for different cartridges, but suggested I try CFE 223, BL-C2 or Win 748 for the 75 gr BTHP.
Maybe he was being kind by insinuating that their blend for this cartridge came from a combination of those three I mentioned, I have no way of knowing.

The burn rates of the powders mentioned are all very close to each other, CFE-223 being the farthest out on the list, a slower powder in a group of 12.

So I'm asking if someone shooting heavier bullets like 69 - 75 gr in .223, has had good luck amongst the group of Win 748, Varget, 4064, or BL-C(2)

I'm shooting 200 yds to 500 yds for now.

Thanks,
Robert
I haven't checked any groups, but load for 5.56 only. I've used cfe223 mainly for speed and win748 has been my 2nd choice. I don't have or used and imr4064 so I couldn't give any thoughts about it. I do use 62 and 75gr hp and fmj from barrel lengths 11.5" to 24". I do have bl-c2, but haven't used any on 5.56 loads yet.

Robert, I'm pretty old school and maybe even over cautious when working with modern smokeless powders, but I'm going to suggest to you he was not in any way recommending you blend/mix those three powders, or any other powders. I think he was suggesting you try either/each of them and see what results you get with them when using them with recommended and tested charges.

"Recommended and tested" charges is the key phrase here ...... you have absolutely no way to test any blends of powders to ensure that blend is safe. If in fact they use a blend, you can be certain they have the proper testing facilities to ensure safety.

I won't pretend to tell you how to load your ammo, but by your own words in relating what he told you, you said he said this: "suggested I try CFE 223, BL-C2 or Win 748 for the 75 gr BTHP." Note the word 'OR' in your statement. That would certainly indicate he was not recommending you blend/mix those powders, but try them individually. (emphasis is mine)

Can't say for sure what results it'll get you ..... but can guarantee it'll be safer !!! (y)(y)(y)

No, I didn't assume he was suggesting blending.
But with powder so hard to get, I'd like to hear from someone shooting the same cartridge/Bullet style to see the results he obtained. Lymen uses a machine to test powder/bullet combinations with a 24" barrel, so the human side is left out for the most accurate result.
That's why I've been waiting for Varget for so long. I don't like to buy 1# containers of powder. I do research first from other competitors, event statistics and shooters, whether it's pistol of long gun, then buy 8# of it.

Once the hoarders feel like they have enough, there will some left for the rest of us.

And Lyman tested all three of those and they were low in the rankings.

Robert

Back