testtest

Precision Rifle Choice

10mmLife

Staff member
Founding Member
I'm looking at getting a 6.5 Creedmoor precision Rifle but I'm undecided on a brand or model. I'm looking in the sub $1500 range. Any suggestions?

Currently I really like what I've read about the Ruger Precision and the Savage MVP but there's others I'm contemplating also.

Hit it before it can hear it!

I'm looking at getting a 6.5 Creedmoor precision Rifle but I'm undecided on a brand or model. I'm looking in the sub $1500 range. Any suggestions?

Currently I really like what I've read about the Ruger Precision and the Savage MVP but there's others I'm contemplating also.

Hit it before it can hear it!
I currently own the Ruger Precision Rifles Chambered in .308; 6cm; 6.5cm; and .338 Lapua. I also have a Savage A10 Ashbury 6.5cm. I like the RPR's but haven't shot them all nor the Savage (too many guns and not enough outdoor range time). All the RPR's came in at $1300 or so (the 6.5 was $1250 with bi-pod thrown in while the .338 was $1400). The Savage was $1500 but they ran a rebate offer and I got $150 back. Then came the next phase of buying scopes for these beauties which can cost more than the rifle themselves.

The Ruger is a solid offering, but shop around because you can find it a lot lower than list. I found one in 308 for just over 800. It is accurate, but its a bit cheap feeling for a precision chassis rifle. I don't care for the trigger or the stock, but it is easy to upgrade and a solid value for the price. Also fairly easy to swap barrels on it.

Ashbury Precision has had some excellent rifles for sale under 1000 lately, and anything made by Howa is usually inexpensive but good quality. Bergara is another one and the BMP is within your budget and a seriously under rated gun.

If I were buying another bolt gun in 6.5 the two that would get my attention are the Tika T3 Tac A1 and the other is the new Daniel Defense Delta. That thing is made for swapping barrels so its a good fit for the 6.5.

Remember that the barrel wear on 6.5 on any high pressure wildcat is significant. Folks have reported POI shift in as little as 1k rounds out of the 6.5, so if you are a high volume shooter keep that in mind. Course that's one of the reasons I still run a .308. Does everything I need it to do out to 800 yards and I don't have to change barrels every year.

The Ruger is a solid offering, but shop around because you can find it a lot lower than list. I found one in 308 for just over 800. It is accurate, but its a bit cheap feeling for a precision chassis rifle. I don't care for the trigger or the stock, but it is easy to upgrade and a solid value for the price. Also fairly easy to swap barrels on it.

Ashbury Precision has had some excellent rifles for sale under 1000 lately, and anything made by Howa is usually inexpensive but good quality. Bergara is another one and the BMP is within your budget and a seriously under rated gun.

If I were buying another bolt gun in 6.5 the two that would get my attention are the Tika T3 Tac A1 and the other is the new Daniel Defense Delta. That thing is made for swapping barrels so its a good fit for the 6.5.

Remember that the barrel wear on 6.5 on any high pressure wildcat is significant. Folks have reported POI shift in as little as 1k rounds out of the 6.5, so if you are a high volume shooter keep that in mind. Course that's one of the reasons I still run a .308. Does everything I need it to do out to 800 yards and I don't have to change barrels every year.
I was contemplating .308 because it's tried and true. I'm breaking into the precision rifle world soon.

I currently own the Ruger Precision Rifles Chambered in .308; 6cm; 6.5cm; and .338 Lapua. I also have a Savage A10 Ashbury 6.5cm. I like the RPR's but haven't shot them all nor the Savage (too many guns and not enough outdoor range time). All the RPR's came in at $1300 or so (the 6.5 was $1250 with bi-pod thrown in while the .338 was $1400). The Savage was $1500 but they ran a rebate offer and I got $150 back. Then came the next phase of buying scopes for these beauties which can cost more than the rifle themselves.
I appreciate the input! Do you have any experience with the Thompson center LRR?

I appreciate the input! Do you have any experience with the Thompson center LRR?
No, but I believe I looked into them once. I even looked into a custom company Marcus Luttrell recommended for long range shooting that he buys from. I forget the name, but the cost was very high as it all custom made guns. My wallet and Credit cards are starting to say "no mas" to my current buying spree, so I'm trying to cut back to save a little (I emphasize trying :confused:).

No, but I believe I looked into them once. I even looked into a custom company Marcus Luttrell recommended for long range shooting that he buys from. I forget the name, but the cost was very high as it all custom made guns. My wallet and Credit cards are starting to say "no mas" to my current buying spree, so I'm trying to cut back to save a little (I emphasize trying :confused:).
Yeah I can see why! You seem to have a decent collection already. I'm just trying to get into precision rifle. I would prefer a bullpup.

Last edited:
Have you looked at any Steyrs?
I have a 308 Elite (discontinued) that is a laser out to 1k yd. It may be a little more but it is well worth it. I can imagine the 6.5 would be more so.
I believe the THB has the same action.
My best group was 8 inches @ 1011yd.
You cant beat the fit finish and performance for that price.

My reasoning was why not pay what I will inevitably end up paying (if not more) to get a comparable rifle.

THB 308 $1,200
Or a scout if you want to go light weight in 6.5 $1,512

Last edited:
I have a 308 Elite (discontinued) that is a laser out to 1k yd. It may be a little more but it is well worth it. I can imagine the 6.5 would be more so.

My reasoning was why not pay what I will inevitably end up paying (if not more) to get a comparable rifle.

THB 308 $1,200
I've been always been intrigued with the old Jeff Cooper designed Steyr scout from the 90s with the bipod foregrip. That video you posted definitely peaks my interest. Thanks for the response!

I had two rifles that shot sub MOA groups. The first was cheap. It was an Interarms Mark X in 30/06. A carbine in a Manlicher stock. It shot groups the size of my hand. Threw the stock away and glass bedded it in a cheap Bell and Carlson fiberglass stock with a kit from Brownells. Put in a Timmney trigger. Mounted a Leopold 3x9 scope. It would shoot anything you fed it sub MOA. Of course that rifle is just a modern Mauser.
The second was a Ruger 77 with a tang safety, and old gun, 300 Win Mag, other people did the gun barrel, trigger, stock, with a Burris signature scope. I once put two bullets in the same hole at 100 yards. It would shoot 3 hole groups the size of dime at 100 yards off of bags. Of course that also is a modern Mauser. Both of my grandsons now own those rifles.

I had two rifles that shot sub MOA groups. The first was cheap. It was an Interarms Mark X in 30/06. A carbine in a Manlicher stock. It shot groups the size of my hand. Threw the stock away and glass bedded it in a cheap Bell and Carlson fiberglass stock with a kit from Brownells. Put in a Timmney trigger. Mounted a Leopold 3x9 scope. It would shoot anything you fed it sub MOA. Of course that rifle is just a modern Mauser.
The second was a Ruger 77 with a tang safety, and old gun, 300 Win Mag, other people did the gun barrel, trigger, stock, with a Burris signature scope. I once put two bullets in the same hole at 100 yards. It would shoot 3 hole groups the size of dime at 100 yards off of bags. Of course that also is a modern Mauser. Both of my grandsons now own those rifles.
This is all great feedback which will weigh on my final decision.

THB 308 $1,200
The scout is under 7 pounds sounds good to me! I do prefer lightweight.

I've been always been intrigued with the old Jeff Cooper designed Steyr scout from the 90s with the bipod foregrip. That video you posted definitely peaks my interest. Thanks for the response!
If I could get away with it I would snag one of those Scouts. It was what I originally intended to get but I found a sale and the Elite was only 100 more and has a bull barrel (that was 2008).

If I could get away with it I would snag one of those Scouts. It was what I originally intended to get but I found a sale and the Elite was only 100 more and has a bull barrel (that was 2008).
I got a decent bonus from work that's burning a hole in my pocket for a new rifle.

I got a decent bonus from work that's burning a hole in my pocket for a new rifle.
Just keep in mind, the scout has a thin barrel. Unless its been upgraded with a bull barrel. So it may start stringing after a long session. The Elite is basically a Scout with a bull barrel. So if you are willing to add a little weight its worth it. I like that they all come with threaded barrels now, saves you a little. Like I said, if you run the numbers at the end of the day you most likely spend less with one of these. No stock and trigger to replace, and you dont need to thread the barrel.

I'm glad there is no mention of a rem700! I've heard that tikka and ruger are good, but ruger have been having recalls. I have been enjoying all 3 of my savages 110s, 2 300wm and 1 338lm!

I'm glad there is no mention of a rem700! I've heard that tikka and ruger are good, but ruger have been having recalls. I have been enjoying all 3 of my savages 110s, 2 300wm and 1 338lm!
As much as i enjoy learning from others we have enough ND/AD stories. Not about to recommend a 700, besides you need to spend another $1k to get them right.

Tikka & Bergara are pretty good too. Look up the BA 13. I ran across one in Europe and fell in love with it. Its too bad they dont import them here.

Any who, back to my candy stick.

https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/elite-308-sniper/

Great article on the Steyr Elite.
Heres a pic of a 3 round group @ 1011yds on a 12x12 inch target. The other 2 shots were just off to right. (Nosler 168 Custom Competition) IMG00363-20110626-0839.jpgIMG00299-20110530-0618.jpgIMG00381-20110704-1744.jpg

Last edited:
Back