testtest

Priming~~~~ Hand or Press?

SMSgtRod

Professional
Founding Member
I like to hand prime. Once the primer is seated I can run a finger across it to insure it's below the base.
Plus I get to spend time with the wife watching a little TV while doing it.

I have two RCBS hand primers. One that I started out with that requires the use of the shell holder to secure the case.
The other is a Universal, supposed to hold everything which it doesn't. 45cal, 454 will pop out of it.
So, I purchased an extra 45 shell holder and dedicated it to the first hand unit and prime all the other cals
with the Universal.

I use to prime using the press during case expansion. Now I expand prior to washing that way if a case mouth is
going to split I can get rid of it and avoid the possibility of putting a new primer in a bad case.

Want to hear what you are using, how well you like it and any tips you might care to share.

When I did reloading, I used a Lee hand primer, never cared for the priming system using the primer arm on the press.
Using the press I'm never sure if they are seated correctly and have had some FTF.

I use both! I use the hand primer while I'm watching a good program on TV. Doesn't get used much anymore.:)
I find Science channel is still something good to prime too!!

I always prime with the RCBS hand primer. It gets me away from the bench, as I can sit in the living room , or do it outside. The hand primer gives me a good feel for a seated primer as well.

We are sure two peas in a pod. I can prime 1K to 1.2K and then I have to break for a while.
I think hand priming has the advantage of strengthening the handgun grip.

I'll decap, size, expand, wash, dry (air dry for day or so, or oven for an hour)
Then I'll hand prime.

In the case of the 300BO, I'll give them a quick wash at first as the die is steel
and easily scratched.

A good friend of mine was using a Hornady progressive reloader, after some time when he was priming, one went off and a couple of others did so to, reason, few of the primers were put in wrong side up, lesson here, always make sure you have primers in the priming tube all in the same correct way, could have been disastrous.

Design of the primer tube position on a press and position of the tray on a hand unit should prevent multiple firings.
When hand loading make sure the case mouth is pointed away from you and others.

Back