testtest

Primitive skills overnight.

Sld1959

Hellcat
Well it's that time again, a nice overnight practicing primitive skills. Not much snow which will be a plus. But right now it's 8 degrees. My plan is testing a new voyager canoe ax I made, yes it's rusting already but that's because I wiped it down with lemon juice. I am taking a saw and a machete to test it against along with my belt knife. Taking the first black powder kit rifle I made just in case I see some yotes, or in case we see sasquatch. It's a 58 and one of the most acurate muzzleloaders i have ever shot.

The area is a very large private tract of woods. We will walk in pulling a homemade dog type sled. Plan is to make shelters but there is a primitive trapper shack if we are forced inside.

20220115_113746.jpg
20220115_092626.jpg

It's me and two like minded fellows. One is trying out a new oil cloth tarp he made, very heavy for back carry its something you only take in a canoe or by horse or sled.

Provisions are slab bacon, jerky, corn meal, salt and pepper, chocolate and cone sugar for hot chocolate. They are bringing various other things. The one concession to modern is a water filter pump. One largish barrel canteen of rum, for fighting the cold weather.

It's me and two like minded fellows. One is trying out a new oil cloth tarp he made, very heavy for back carry its something you only take in a canoe or by horse or sled.

Provisions are slab bacon, jerky, corn meal, salt and pepper, chocolate and cone sugar for hot chocolate. They are bringing various other things. The one concession to modern is a water filter pump. One largish barrel canteen of rum, for fighting the cold weather.

Sounds like fun brother. And I should have read the title then I would know it's overnight. Have a good time and if I may make one small suggestion ? Sneak a phone and a .45 into your pack for emergencies.

Sounds like fun brother. And I should have read the title then I would know it's overnight. Have a good time and if I may make one small suggestion ? Sneak a phone and a .45 into your pack for emergencies.
We actually might make it two nights, as none of us work Monday. We shall see how we are all feeling later tomorrow. Yeah it's smart to drop a phone and handgun in for emergency.

I remember reading in the Muzzleloader magazine about guys that would go camping in the dead of winter dressed in period clothing from the 1700's. They would build shelters much like the early explorers would have built to spend the night in. Primitive might be fun, but it would be more fun in warmer weather. :)

I remember reading in the Muzzleloader magazine about guys that would go camping in the dead of winter dressed in period clothing from the 1700's. They would build shelters much like the early explorers would have built to spend the night in. Primitive might be fun, but it would be more fun in warmer weather. :)

My wife's cousin and his son do all the civil war re-enactments. All period correct ( except the liquor) and in all weather. I invited him to come out to my club with me sometime. He said the only guns he has are black powder. No inline with sabots either, cap and ball.

I have two Thompson Center Hawken .50 cal kit rifles I haven't shot in many years.

In my library...
  1. Tom Brown's Field Guides,
  2. Primative Wilderness living & Survival Skills - J&G McPherson
  3. Outdoor Survival Skills - L.D. Olsen
  4. Roughing It Easy #1 & #2 - D. Thomas
Also, Traditional Bowhunter magazine.

Back