testtest

Prioritizing Survival Knowledge and Gear

SATRP

Master Class
Founding Member
When I think survival, I think wilderness survival. Dangerous felons aren't a concern. When I hunt big game, I carry only a big game rifle. I will, not often, sometimes have a handgun close by while I'm in camp. I've never carried a handgun while hunting. I have no plan to start.

From a perspective of deep wilderness survival, my priorities are ranked as follows:

Knowledge of first aid and CPR and First Aid supplies (infection can become certain death)
Satellite phone (cell phones are not reliable for calling a sheriff for helicopter extraction)
Flare gun (signal approaching sheriff helicopter)
Waterproof matches (warmth and signal)
Water and food for at least two days (Gatorade is excellent hydration)
Flashlight (check wound status at night)
Knowledge of navigation

I have no clue of how many times I've been in deep wilderness and miles from camp. If I had broken a leg, I'd have stayed where I was injured. Cell phone reception in deep wilderness is a prayer. A sat phone will make contact with a sheriff's office. When gutting big game animals, I focus upon my knife. Slicing an artery miles from camp would be all she wrote. I'd have been a day old corpse by the time a sheriff's helicopter found me.

In contrast, my urban/suburban survival is simple: avoidance.

When I hunt, i always leave my wife and my hunting camp buddies with a satellite map picture with an ‘X’ on the area I plan to hunt. Marked are also my alternative hunting areas in case I switch for lack of game animals. We keep a map at camp for this reason and what times we plan to hunt. If someone fails to show, at least everyone know where to go looking.

Good Morning KillerFord1977,

That's an excellent strategy.. I have used it. However, as we know, we have to hunt where game is. I've often left camp with a location in mind and have found myself miles from it. Now I leave a compass heading/GPS coordinates, but more often than not, what I leave and where I'll wind up are miles apart.

There are many injuries and health conditions that can result in quick death. Slicing an artery while gutting an animal should be of primary concern to all hunters. My knife stays in its sheath until I have to use it. I don't whittle wood with it or take it out unless I have to gut an animal. It's good policy to not distract a hunter while he's gutting an animal. A compound fracture could be fatal. Hypothermia is certain death without immediate rescue.

I've been deep in Rocky Mountain wildernesses. Prevention reigns supreme. Knowledge of sustaining life would fall in line behind prevention. Right on its tail is a sat phone. A hunter with a life threatening injury will need immediate help. The problem there, as we know, is no sheriff will risk his deputies' lives to save a hunter's life if dangerous flying conditions were to exist.

Good Morning KillerFord1977,

That's an excellent strategy.. I have used it. However, as we know, we have to hunt where game is. I've often left camp with a location in mind and have found myself miles from it. Now I leave a compass heading/GPS coordinates, but more often than not, what I leave and where I'll wind up are miles apart.

There are many injuries and health conditions that can result in quick death. Slicing an artery while gutting an animal should be of primary concern to all hunters. My knife stays in its sheath until I have to use it. I don't whittle wood with it or take it out unless I have to gut an animal. It's good policy to not distract a hunter while he's gutting an animal. A compound fracture could be fatal. Hypothermia is certain death without immediate rescue.

I've been deep in Rocky Mountain wildernesses. Prevention reigns supreme. Knowledge of sustaining life would fall in line behind prevention. Right on its tail is a sat phone. A hunter with a life threatening injury will need immediate help. The problem there, as we know, is no sheriff will risk his deputies' lives to save a hunter's life if dangerous flying conditions were to exist.
I hunt Texas on 2000 -3000 acres
They can find me around

Unknown to many is that Pedialyte is way more effective at replacing electrolytes and helping with hydration than Gatorade and can be consumed in smaller quantities there by the volume of Pedialyte you bring with you will last longer.
Also pedialyte doesn’t cause kidney stones or kidney disease like Gatorade or power aide. Wish I would’ve know that years ago. I used to drink Gatorade like it was going out of style.

Also pedialyte doesn’t cause kidney stones or kidney disease like Gatorade or power aide. Wish I would’ve know that years ago. I used to drink Gatorade like it was going out of style.
I did the same thing on a motorcycle trip in 2006, me and two other guys 2,500 miles riding the Gaspe in Canada. Came home and 3 weeks later had kidney stones. Got them again a year later. Never touched Gatorade again.

Back