testtest

Problem seating RMSc on Hellcat OSP

EvilElmo

Operator
Hi All,
Has anyone who's tried the Shield RMSc run into this issue? The sight won't sit flush on the recoil lugs on my Hellcat OSP. I've tried a Swampfox in the past and it fit just fine, but this RMSc won't. This picture shows the best I could manage. This is without the screws, it's just sitting on the slide.

I'm waiting on a replacement sight so hopefully this one's just out of spec. But while I'm waiting I thought I'd ask just in case I'm clueless and doing something wrong.

0120210635.jpg

Mine was tight and took a slight forward tilt, some slight wiggling, and a little pressure to fully seat. It snapped in securely after a few seconds. I was careful not to apply excessive pressure. As you stated, it might be out of spec. If that fails, you might try a tiny drop of oil applied with a cleaning patch on the lugs. If it snaps in, remove it and thoroughly clean the lugs and the holes in the sight with Q-Tips and alcohol then dry completely and reinstall. Torque to 15 inch lbs. After 4 months, no problems! I chose the polymer RMSc after an email to Shield as it is less likely to crack than glass according to them and has a hard coating over the polymer. I bought a LensPen Law Enforcement Kit to keep it sparkling clean without scratching in seconds. Here's a link: https://lenspen.com/product/lenspen-outdoor-pro-kit-for-law-enforcement/

Edit to add link

Last edited:
Do the holes and posts actually line up? If they do, it might just be a little extra coating on either the sight or on the pistol. Like Lock n' Load said, it may just be a really tight fit and a little lube may be enough to get it on. Or maybe take a scotch pad and smooth out the posts and the holes. Not sure I'd use sandpaper unless it's a REALLY fine grade, but sounds to me like it just may be a thick coating issue...

I can't speak to the RMSc, but I do have the SMSc on my HellCat and with no issues. It fit right down onto the pins and bottomed out as it should. As Lock n' Load said ..... 15"lbs and a tiny dab of blue "Locktite".

I can't speak to the RMSc, but I do have the SMSc on my HellCat and with no issues. It fit right down onto the pins and bottomed out as it should. As Lock n' Load said ..... 15"lbs and a tiny dab of blue "Locktite".
I would imagine the SMSc may be more consistent with tolerances. It’s polymer with no coating. The RMSc is aluminum and has a coating (paint or some such coating) and a little extra coating may make it just thick enough to have a hard time going on. Just speculating here. :)

Putting the RMSc on the Hellcat takes a slight forward cant. Seat the first two lugs then rock it back into place and lock it down with the screws.
I tried that but no go. I tried every cant option there is and no luck.

I returned the sight and I'm waiting for the replacement to arrive. Hopefully I'll have better luck with the 2nd one.

Helpful tricks?
If still have issues with sight mating on gun, try pencil & paper "rubbing" on both slide & sight to see which impression is off & by how much. - Number 2 or another soft lead pencil works best. (Place paper or surface checking then lightly rub with pencil.)

Measure raised rubbings, compare surfaces. Will at least tell you how much's off where so know which direction to direction to go or if can. Is "low tech" method but pretty effective. Another is an aluminum foil method that can work too. Place flat foil on surfaces to be transposed, gently press down to expose raised or recessed areas. Result is about same procedure/method/result except can use another tool to press down foil to transpose surfaces. Hope that helps get your sight on. Usually works better than getting a bigger hammer?

I tried that but no go. I tried every cant option there is and no luck.

I returned the sight and I'm waiting for the replacement to arrive. Hopefully I'll have better luck with the 2nd one.
I'm having the same issue.. Did you get the replacement and if so how did it go?

Back