testtest

“Pulled the trigger” on a Springfield mil spec 1911

neil0311

Master Class
Have been wanting a decent replica of a WWII era M1911A1. The Springfield Defender Mil Spec parkerized model has been highly reviewed and is American made with a stainless match grade barrel.

Saw one available, at a discount from MSRP, with free shipping. That’s like Kryptonite to Superman. My credit card was spun into action immediately.

Curious for opinions from anyone who already owns one. It won’t change my mind about buying, but interested in what others think and any gotchas that may not be immediately obvious to a new owner.

Mine should arrive at the FFL early next week. 👍

Have been wanting a decent replica of a WWII era M1911A1. The Springfield Defender Mil Spec parkerized model has been highly reviewed and is American made with a stainless match grade barrel.

Saw one available, at a discount from MSRP, with free shipping. That’s like Kryptonite to Superman. My credit card was spun into action immediately.

Curious for opinions from anyone who already owns one. It won’t change my mind about buying, but interested in what others think and any gotchas that may not be immediately obvious to a new owner.

Mine should arrive at the FFL early next week. 👍
Here is a full in depth review I did in Feb 2020 on this 1911.

i have countless rounds and hogs down with this firearm.
Fantastic 1911
Enjoy the gun !!

I got the same one a few weeks ago for a price that I could not resist. It is my first 1911 so I was looking for something "bare bones", entry level and relatively inexpensive. I only have about 300 rounds through it (230 grain RN both new an reman) and it has performed without a hiccup. I now understand why there is such a huge 1911 following. I love this gun.
I have only been shooting for about 8 months and am able to shoot a 2-3" group at 7 yards with my M&P9 (home defense gun), but slightly left of the bullseye. With the 1911 I can clear a bullseye at 7 yards. I need more "trigger work" practice with the M&P.
At any rate, I really do like my SA 1911 Defender Mil Spec. It feels substantial in my hand. Much different than the M&P9. Also, the recoil is mild. I was expecting a huge kick from the .45, but it is a total joy to shoot. If .45 ammo were as cheap at .22 I shoot it all day long. I have medium sized hands and use a high grip and I have not experienced any hammer bite (yet).
It is safe to say that I am sold on the 1911.

I got the same one a few weeks ago for a price that I could not resist. It is my first 1911 so I was looking for something "bare bones", entry level and relatively inexpensive. I only have about 300 rounds through it (230 grain RN both new an reman) and it has performed without a hiccup. I now understand why there is such a huge 1911 following. I love this gun.
I have only been shooting for about 8 months and am able to shoot a 2-3" group at 7 yards with my M&P9 (home defense gun), but slightly left of the bullseye. With the 1911 I can clear a bullseye at 7 yards. I need more "trigger work" practice with the M&P.
At any rate, I really do like my SA 1911 Defender Mil Spec. It feels substantial in my hand. Much different than the M&P9. Also, the recoil is mild. I was expecting a huge kick from the .45, but it is a total joy to shoot. If .45 ammo were as cheap at .22 I shoot it all day long. I have medium sized hands and use a high grip and I have not experienced any hammer bite (yet).
It is safe to say that I am sold on the 1911.
I’m always delighted to hear there’s another new 1911 fan !
I will also submit that your 1911 .45 might be better as your home defense gun than the M&P9. If u carry, use the M&P but keep that .45 by the bed. Just my 2cents :)

I will also submit that your 1911 .45 might be better as your home defense gun than the M&P9. If u carry, use the M&P but keep that .45 by the bed. Just my 2cents :)
Oh yeah, I have "seen the light" when it comes to the 1911. I was apprehensive about the take down and cleaning but that was the first thing I did after I picked it up. I realized that it was actually pretty easy. Then again cleaning my guns is not a chore but just part of proper ownership to me.
I thought of replacing the M&P at my bedside with the 1911 when I become more comfortable with it because of the way it shoots. However, I have the M&P outfitted with a tactical light. I would feel more comfortable being able to see what may have to be confronted in my house in the middle of the night if it ever comes to that. I don't want to put one of the "rail-free" tac lights on the 1911. Maybe I'll just have to get one with a pic rail!

Oh yeah, I have "seen the light" when it comes to the 1911. I was apprehensive about the take down and cleaning but that was the first thing I did after I picked it up. I realized that it was actually pretty easy. Then again cleaning my guns is not a chore but just part of proper ownership to me.
I thought of replacing the M&P at my bedside with the 1911 when I become more comfortable with it because of the way it shoots. However, I have the M&P outfitted with a tactical light. I would feel more comfortable being able to see what may have to be confronted in my house in the middle of the night if it ever comes to that. I don't want to put one of the "rail-free" tac lights on the 1911. Maybe I'll just have to get one with a pic rail!
The part of your paragraph “I would feel more comfortable…” etc, is the most important part of it as far as pistols go, IMHO. More important than rushing to buy the latest n greatest ‘whatever’.
The more you handle & shoot that 1911, the better it’ll feel, I bet ! At least that’s what happened to me.
So yeah, keep your eye out for a deal on a rail model ( 😉 ).

Nah, for the home defense role, I have two (always have a backup 👍) primary handguns. A P226 Legion DASA with red dot optic and suppressor height sights, and a P320 M18 also with optic and suppressor sights, along with a light.

Then there are the other bigger guys like the M9, M17, Glock 17 and 19, who wait for their number to be called for fun at the range. The 1911 will be in that group of Sunday funday guns.

Educate a newbie... Is the the idiot scratch what happens to the frame putting the slide lock back into place?
This is a good video showing reassembly:

Here's a tool to prevent the scratch that may be of interest. I make my own from the flat side of a milk jug. You just need scissors and a hole punch. It's best to prevent this, because there's no cure!

http://www.idiotscratch.com/

Last edited:
Back