testtest

Pushing Back..........1968 GCA

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per the article the part of the firearm that's is considered the serialized part varies. We all know the lower is with the AR, but with the FAL it's the upper.

Nice link Sarge, put gunpowder magazine into my favorites, good article also.

Last edited:
Interesting article. I don't get the ruling and the interpretation that it will lead to more "Ghost Guns" (highlight below taken from article). It sounds like from those being charge, the expert witness testimony, and the final decision, that the several dozen serialized lower AR15 receivers that the 2 men had or were trying to get, were not considered to be weapons under interpretation of the AFT weapons definition. Therefore, forget the "more Ghost Guns" statement, doesn't this ruling mean you should be able to buy an AR15 lower and upper with no ATF paper work or background check required (much the way Uppers are sold today), since neither is considered a weapon in and by itself? And as far as the part about "Ghost Guns" also highlighted from the article below, seem like the AG from my State (Pa.), has ruled this to be considered a weapon, and a background check required to be undertaken (how the ATF would register and track it without a serial number is anybody's guess). A judge ruled this to be invalid, so it's still up in the air where this will eventually go. But I was talking to a FFL dealer at a local gun show in State recently, that told me he would have to do a background check if he sold one under the current rules of the AG.

"U.S. District Court Judge James G. Carr of the Northern District of Ohio requested an evidentiary hearing in September 2019. The primary focus in this case was whether lower receivers are classified as firearms per the 1968 Gun Control Act and similar federal regulations. O'Kelly took the stand as an expert witness on the defense’s side. He argued that lower receivers are not subject to ATF regulation. In his view, the agency has taken the opposite opinion for decades.
Carr eventually threw out weapons-related charges against the two men following O’Kelly’s testimony. The judge argued that the ATF’s traditional interpretation "plainly erroneous and inconsistent with the regulation."
Some observers fear that this ruling could open the door for the creation of so-called “ghost guns” – homemade weapons built from individual parts with no serial numbers present. Adam Winkler, a constitutional law professor at UCLA and Second Amendment expert, believes that this ruling revealed "another major loophole in federal gun laws" and is of the opinion that it will lead to even more “ghost guns” being built if this loophole isn’t closed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back