testtest

Q: Creative alternatives to buying ammo?

Martino

Alpha
Buongiorno tutti, lol (change of pase?šŸ¤Ŗ)
First I am not new to hand guns had one long ago had my ccL.. let it expire and sold the gun... we had our first childšŸ™„. Well Iā€™m a new owner of the XDS 9mm subcompact osp. Love it however I would have gotten a longer barrel gun had I remembered the little guy kicks like a little chooch lol italian for jackass. That said Iā€™m re acclimating myself with what I have forgotten and never learned. Which brings me to a question I had, and forgive me if itā€™s a stupid question. But with the ammo situation either none or 4x the price... now I want to eventually reload but I have some learning to do. And besides that equipment is tough to find also. My question is are there forums or locations in this forum that people can buy hand loaded or reloaded ammo at better prices? See Iā€™m not sure that just because someone is set up and has established themselves in hand or reloading that this means one they actually make enough TO sell, want to, or even are allowed to...

Hey guys as always Iā€™m having a blast speaking to everyone and thank you in advance

First I am not new to hand guns had one long ago had my ccL.. let it expire and sold the gun... we had our first childšŸ™„. Well Iā€™m a new owner of the XDS 9mm subcompact osp. Love it however I would have gotten a longer barrel gun had I remembered the little guy kicks like a little chooch lol italian for jackass. That said Iā€™m re acclimating myself with what I have forgotten and never learned. Which brings me to a question I had, and forgive me if itā€™s a stupid question. But with the ammo situation either none or 4x the price... now I want to eventually reload but I have some learning to do. And besides that equipment is tough to find also. My question is are there forums or locations in this forum that people can buy hand loaded or reloaded ammo at better prices? See Iā€™m not sure that just because someone is set up and has established themselves in hand or reloading that this means one they actually make enough TO sell, want to, or even are allowed to...

Hey guys as always Iā€™m having a blast speaking to everyone and thank you in advance

I'm going to give you a warning you should heed. Never EVER shoot anyone else's handloads in a semi-automatic. I'm sure plenty of people do though. The very first time I shot reloads ( they were commercially available "Remanufactured" loads) the second round in the magazine was a squib and the bullet stopped halfway down the barrel. It's a good thing I noticed. Had I been " Dumping" the mag there would have been some serious damage to the gun and possibly my hand.

Besides, the "remanufactured" ammo I see for sale isn't that much cheaper.

I recommend habitually checking your local gun shops and especially Farm and Home type stores ( I found 124 gr. for $16/box a month or so ago) and lots of dry fire practice. Either that or buck up and pay the dollar a round it seems to be going for right now.

I'm going to give you a warning you should heed. Never EVER shoot anyone else's handloads in a semi-automatic. I'm sure plenty of people do though. The very first time I shot reloads ( they were commercially available "Remanufactured" loads) the second round in the magazine was a squib and the bullet stopped halfway down the barrel. It's a good thing I noticed. Had I been " Dumping" the mag there would have been some serious damage to the gun and possibly my hand.

I recommend habitually checking your local gun shops and especially Farm and Home type stores ( I found 124 gr. for $16/box a month or so ago) and lots of dry fire practice. Either that or buck up and pay the dollar a round it seems to be going for right now.
Iā€™d just stop at ā€œNever shoot someone elseā€™s handloadsā€...in any gun (besides theirs).

Iā€™d just stop at ā€œNever shoot someone elseā€™s handloadsā€...in any gun (besides theirs).
I would have said that but I shoot my old man's reloads in my big revolvers. Well I used to. He's too old to get downstairs and do any reloading anymore. Never had any problems with his loads. Him ( or me) have never handloaded anything for an auto other than shotshells.

I took up archery. Arrows are easy to find and reusable.

Interesting comments...I agree ā€œnever use someone elseā€˜s reloaded ammoā€ at least not from someone you donā€™t know. I have purchased ā€œremanufacturedā€œ ammo from a local shooting range. Everything worked well. I have reloaded ammo for one friend due to the cost of ammo long ago, but I was extremely careful, individual charged each case and double checked each case, and it was a load Iā€™d been using for some time that was light and used for practice.

Buongiorno Martino!
You can try ammoseek.com or gunbroker.com but primers and most parts are in the same boat as ammo right now.
Good luck with that short barrel jackass! I can't do those little ones.
Unfortunately I just came to realize that components are all being treated the same like you said šŸ˜”. And yeah... I have a feeling Iā€™m going to want to engrave the name CHOOCH on the slide šŸ¤£ (itā€™s actually spelled Ciuccio)

THANK YOU! This is exactly why I asked. I didnā€™t know if etiquette or physical issues would be frowned upon or worse! As you taught me dangerous! Thanks a lot great to know this. I have always wanted to learn to hand load and reload just because itā€™s really interesting to me..someday. For now I will look like you said and if I could find a 50-box for $16 Iā€™d be a peach! LoL being retired kids grown.. and married, I want to shoot all day every day... LOL maybe I can engineer a new round that can be made for under 5cents a 9mm round.šŸ˜³šŸ˜³ crazier things have happened..

THANK YOU! This is exactly why I asked. I didnā€™t know if etiquette or physical issues would be frowned upon or worse! As you taught me dangerous! Thanks a lot great to know this. I have always wanted to learn to hand load and reload just because itā€™s really interesting to me..someday. For now I will look like you said and if I could find a 50-box for $16 Iā€™d be a peach! LoL being retired kids grown.. and married, I want to shoot all day every day... LOL maybe I can engineer a new round that can be made for under 5cents a 9mm round.šŸ˜³šŸ˜³ crazier things have happened..

At least when you reload your own ammo you can control 99% ( don't quote me on that, I pulled that number out of my a$$ ) of the things that cause problems. You can still get bad primers or bad powder I guess, but if you pay attention, take your time and do everything correctly you'll likely end up with rounds that are much more tailored to you and your gun. Right now is a seriously bad time to try to start handloading. I have been loading my own shotshells for decades. Can't do it right now though because primers and shot are nearly impossible to find.

At least when you reload your own ammo you can control 99% ( don't quote me on that, I pulled that number out of my a$$ ) of the things that cause problems. You can still get bad primers or bad powder I guess, but if you pay attention, take your time and do everything correctly you'll likely end up with rounds that are much more tailored to you and your gun. Right now is a seriously bad time to try to start handloading. I have been loading my own shotshells for decades. Can't do it right now though because primers and shot are nearly impossible to find.
Wow, really. This should not be happening in this day and time. Hey ā€˜BBā€™ lol...Iā€™ve been learning about how primers can be reloaded so to speak as well...? Iā€™ve been focusing my reading on hand and reloading for 9mm though. It looked very easy. But care and attention needed. I liked the video where striker stick matches were used and the striker material on the match box lol.. and can I ask, (9mm) the grain? Ok so I thought I understood that the relationship between higher gr number lower gr number and velocity of the projectile were directly proportional, but then i lost it when I think I understood that the Lower Gr number would give higher velocity and the higher Gr number would give the projectile a lower velocity??? Any input on that ... lol I do know I dummied that down a lot lol...

So, stopped by a local place today.

They had 9mm on the shelf; Federal Syntech 150gr for $24.99/50, limit 1 box. I passed.

S&B .45 was $30.99/50, limit 2. I passed again.

Federal .41 Mag 210gr JHP, $30/20? I bought 2.

And the score:

Armscor .22TCM $30/50...I bought 2; this is only about a 20% rise from normal price. I think Iā€™m going back and buying 2 more tomorrow (limit 2 boxes of any single caliber not limited to 1).

Opticsplanet.com has been great. I've been paying about $0.45 a round for .45 ACP winchester 230 gn fmg. They take PREorders. Seems to be shipping about four or five months out now. They are shipping my October order today with my December order planned to ship in May. I plan it, not panic. I'd prefer the $0.33 I was paying last May but they seem to be the least egregious sellers I've found.

Here's another idea for an alternative method.

144204514_2855720558006930_5315106084085612123_n.jpg

Back