testtest

Question/Advice

Young1984

Operator
I currently have three 9mm pistols (Hellcat Pro, XD Subcompact, and XD 4-inch), an XDS 45, 1911 45 acp, two 38 revolvers (wife carries one), and a 357 magnum.

I have an opportunity to buy an XD Subcompact 40 and am wondering if I should add another caliber.....thereby requiring more/different ammo. I think it would be a good add to the collection and might make its way into my carry rotation.

What are your thoughts on having several different calibers?

Thanks

I currently have three 9mm pistols (Hellcat Pro, XD Subcompact, and XD 4-inch), an XDS 45, 1911 45 acp, two 38 revolvers (wife carries one), and a 357 magnum.

I have an opportunity to buy an XD Subcompact 40 and am wondering if I should add another caliber.....thereby requiring more/different ammo. I think it would be a good add to the collection and might make its way into my carry rotation.

Thanks
Skip the .40 cal and go 10mm all the way!

😁👍

Diversity--within reason--is a virtue in caliber/ammo selection. In times of ammo famine, you might not be able to find ammo for one thing, but find that it's easily available (relatively speaking) for another.

If you want/like the new .40, and can easily afford it, I don't think it would do any harm to add it to your present battery. It might be good to have around someday. ;)

Personally I would inquire as to the situation you are in for long arms. With 6 handguns for two people you are in good shape for almost any situation a handgun might be used in. Once the long arms, are in similar situation. Long, range, short and close range options then jump into another caliber.

But that's just one opinion.

Thanks
Personally I never worry about a getting a “new” caliber if I like the gun. I figure if it ends up being a gun I carry then having some of a different type of ammo isn’t any big deal.

Personally I would inquire as to the situation you are in for long arms. With 6 handguns for two people you are in good shape for almost any situation a handgun might be used in. Once the long arms, are in similar situation. Long, range, short and close range options then jump into another caliber.

But that's just one opinion.
Good point of discussion. I currently have 1 AR-15, a Marlin 30-30, 2 12 guage shotguns, and a 20 guage. Not really into rifles but will probably add to that collection in the future.

Good point of discussion. I currently have 1 AR-15, a Marlin 30-30, 2 12 guage shotguns, and a 20 guage. Not really into rifles but will probably add to that collection in the future.
Well when it gets right down to it. If things occur like the pandemic , natural disasters, and the rioting of the past 5 years or so, being able to equip both you and your spouse with proper Long arms might be more important than a new pistol in a different caliber.

I think a 40 is a great round, but now that I'm older, if I have a choice between a 40 handgun or spending money on more ammo for my 9 mm's, I'll go with the ammo.

I've had some great 40's in the past. One of my favorites was a Steyr M40...:)

On second thought, maybe I'd get a 40 if it were a 40 I really liked like a Steyr or Para Ordinance 1911 in 40...:)

So maybe the answer is, "It depends." if you really, really, really like that XD, get it. But if you don't really like it, maybe something you like more will come available because you passed on the XD...:)

If you have the money, who cares what we think?

I don't care what anyone says, 40S&W was available (almost) anywhere near me throughout the ammo shortage (albeit at criminal prices).

When my wife asks me, "When will you enough guns!?!?", I reply, "When I have all of them."

Buy it. Just not at a rate that draws ATF attention...ahem. Cheers.

Back