testtest

Rack the slide versus thumb release

DeploraBill

Operator
(I tried to look for this question and found 10 pages of Rack The Slide) At the risk of getting my head bitten off I would like to ask this question: Is it preferable to "rack the slide" or to use your thumb to release the slide? Some handguns are too big for my hand so I generally won't even consider buying them if my thumb cannot reach the slide release. But having watched videos, I see that some people don't even use the slide release and rack the slide. I guess they don't use the slide release in that manner. But are all guns set up that way? Can you rack the slide on all guns? Or can you use the thumb of the other hand to release the slide?

While I’m sure there’s a few “operators” who will tell you that there is only one way, and that is to rack the slide, always...I’d say it depends.

When I’m administratively loading—that is, taking my time, often the first magazine, etc...there’s nothing wrong with using the slide stop release, if the pistol has one (not all do). In that vein, some pistols (I’m looking at you, Glock) have barely usable slide stop releases, so racking the slide is just easier.

On mag changes from slide lock, however? Then I almost always will rack the slide (using the “power stroke” method), unless I’m practicing one-handed drills (and sometimes even then; using the sight hook method, among others). Reason being that no matter what auto pistol I’m using, that’s going to work, and work the same way...no worrying about where exactly the SSR is located.

Whichever procedure you use, you need to allow the slide to travel forward with full force. If you are just using the pistol for range work or plinking, it doesn't matter. It's a question of fine motor skills (fingers and thumbs), which deteriorate when under extreme stress, and gross motor skills (full hand on the top of the slide) which remain. Also age, hand strength, and things like arthritis can be a factor. We know that under stress you will revert to however you have trained. If you are training for defensive purposes, practice how you would fight, and to me that means using gross motor skills. As I tell my students, the rougher you manipulate that pistol the better it will work for you in a fight.

Whichever procedure you use, you need to allow the slide to travel forward with full force. If you are just using the pistol for range work or plinking, it doesn't matter. It's a question of fine motor skills (fingers and thumbs), which deteriorate when under extreme stress, and gross motor skills (full hand on the top of the slide) which remain. Also age, hand strength, and things like arthritis can be a factor. We know that under stress you will revert to however you have trained. If you are training for defensive purposes, practice how you would fight, and to me that means using gross motor skills. As I tell my students, the rougher you manipulate that pistol the better it will work for you in a fight.

I’ve never bought into that whole “fine vs gross motor skill” argument, because, using your definition (finger vs hand)...

Pressing a trigger is a fine motor skill.

Pressing a magazine release is a fine motor skill.

Dunno. To me, it’s one of those “bumper sticker logic” things; sounds cool until you stop and actually think about it.

I’ve never bought into that whole “fine vs gross motor skill” argument, because, using your definition (finger vs hand)...

Dunno. To me, it’s one of those “bumper sticker logic” things; sounds cool until you stop and actually think about it.

I was about to say “hey, wow... I never thought about training and drills with respect to fine/ gross motor skills!”.... then I saw Hans reply.
Yep. This sounds like something “armchair expert”-ish.... ie, one of those things used to sell new articles to gun mags. Or maybe to help sell a ‘new’ self-defense gun course. I dunno.
Seems to me practice, practice, practice is what serves best; along with seeing what works with your own size hands, how ‘tool handy’ you are, and getting in your own groove.
whatever you use, make sure it puts the pistol into full battery, and is the most efficient use of movements (shifting hands around, reload, etc). Get that habit & muscle memory going.

When I'm just on the range shooting I pull the slide back and let 'er rip. If it was a combat reload in a SD situation I would probably use the slide stop, therefore when I train or drill I use the slide stop.

In my opinion this is simply one of those things that is not likely to matter. I suggest that people simply choose a method and stick with it. Sure, its a good idea to have a couple of other methods in your pocket but this stuff just isnt that big of a deal. That said, I will tell you what I do

I simply prefer to pull the slide back as far as that sucker will go and let it fly. When I was first making a decision on what method I wanted to adopt, I experience numerous FTF when utilizing the slide stop as a release. Sure, I have experienced FTF using the (over the top) method but by comparison, it was a mere fraction. Sure, it may have been the gun or the angle I was using or half a dozen other things... but ya know, I just dont care that much about it. I found OTT to work exceedingly well on every firearm I have ever used. OTT is what I adopted, it is what I continue to do and its just not deeper than that.

Additionally, I already use the OTT method when clearing a jam, so why not keep things simply in my brain and utilize OTT for a similar action of loading.

I doubt that winning any gunfight will ever hinge on which method you choose to chamber a round. Anything is possible but I seriously doubt it. As previously stated in the thread, muscle memory in this regard is probably worth developing. Just pick a method and get to it.

I feel that OTT is the best and most practical method for ME to chamber a round. Honestly, I dont give a flip about trying to convince someone else to STOP or CHANGE what they are doing. I will offer my reasoning for those who may currently be on the fence.

There are plenty of things that might actually be the deciding factor in a fight.. this probably isnt it. The method for chambering a round is simply a box to be checked ( in my estimation), check it and move on. If you want to get all into the analytical weeds in regards to tactics and strategics, great. Fight science, fighting method and tactics is probably worth the effort but the handwringing over what method is needed to chamber a round- is seemingly a lot of hubbub over nothing.

Last edited:
In my opinion this is simply one of those things that is not likely to matter. I suggest that people simply choose a method and stick with it. Sure, its a good idea to have a couple of other methods in your pocket but this stuff just isnt that big of a deal. That said, I will tell you what I do

I simply prefer to pull the slide back as far as that sucker will go and let it fly. When I was first making a decision on what method I wanted to adopt, I experience numerous FTF when utilizing the slide stop as a release. Sure, I have experienced FTF using the (over the top) method but by comparison, it was a mere fraction. Sure, it may have been the gun or the angle I was using or half a dozen other things... but ya know, I just dont care that much about it. I found OTT to work exceedingly well on every firearm I have ever used. OTT is what I adopted, it is what I continue to do and its just not deeper than that.

Additionally, I already use the OTT method when clearing a jam, so why not keep things simply in my brain and utilize OTT for a similar action of loading.

I doubt that winning any gunfight will ever hinge on which method you choose to chamber a round. Anything is possible but I seriously doubt it. As previously stated in the thread, muscle memory in this regard is probably worth developing. Just pick a method and get to it.

I feel that OTT is the best and most practical method for ME to chamber a round. Honestly, I dont give a flip about trying to convince someone else to STOP or CHANGE what they are doing. I will offer my reasoning for those who my currently be on the fence.

There are plenty of things that might actually be the deciding factor in a fight.. this probably isnt it. The method for chambering a round is simply a box to be checked ( in my estimation), check it and move on. If you want to get all into the analytical weeds in regards to tactics and strategics, great. Fight science, fighting method and tactics is probably worth the effort but the handwringing over what method is needed to chamber a round- is seemingly a lot of hubbub over nothing.
A lot of 1911s don't seem to like the slide stop method IME.

As far as fine or gross motor skills go.. eh, whatever. Significant stress diminishes lots of things, period. I would not count too heavily on gross motor skills getting a complete pass. The more practiced you are any particular action, the more insulation you may have in regards to mitigating the effects of stress.

I consider it best to keep it simple and leave the overintellectualized dissertation to the scientists.

When I go to shoot at the local indoor range I put an empty mag the 1911 and rack the slide which locks it back. I then drop the empty mag and insert a full one. At this point I can either pull the slide back or engage the slide stop. Either way insures that the muzzle always points down range and range officer stays happy. If I shoot outside with fewer people about I pull in a full mag and rack the slide. I have several 1911s that I bought from older guys who couldn't pull the slide back any more. As a young man I couldn't really relate, but as an old guy it dismays me to find that I'm heading down the same road.😓

I use the “slingshot” method, that’s how I was trained. If I got in a position where my off hand was incapacitated or not able to use, I’d use the slide stop. It’s not my first choice. Some folks use it. I don’t, unless I have to.

Do both, what if your other hand is busy doing something else, like fighting off an attacker, bracing you from an impact etc. why use two hands when one can do the same thing? Just questions.

Back