testtest

Rack the slide?

David N.

Professional
Founding Member
Can anyone tell me where this phrase came from? When introducing a new shooter, I don't teach them to "rack the slide" when chambering a round. Instead, I tell them to "pull the slide directly to the rear and release." Thereafter, I simply say "chamber another round."

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me where this phrase came from? When introducing a new shooter, I don't teach them to "rack the slide" when chambering a round. Instead, I tell them to "pull the slide directly to the rear and release." Thereafter, I simply say "chamber another round."
rack (n.3)

"clouds driven before the wind," c. 1300, also "rush of wind, collision, crash," originally a northern word, possibly from Old English racu "cloud" (or an unrecorded Scandinavian cognate of it), reinforced by Old Norse rek "wreckage, jetsam," or by influence of Old English wræc "something driven;" from Proto-Germanic*wrakaz, from PIE root *wreg- "to push, shove, drive" (see urge (v.)). Often confused with wrack (n.), especially in phrase rack and ruin (1590s). The distinction is that rack is "driven clouds;" wrack is "seaweed cast up on shore."

But, by not using the common lingo, they will not understand when it is used and they are not with you.
I know I'd be suspicious of some one shooting at my range and they didn't understand the lingo of racking the slide.
I teach the common terminology to all that begin with me.

But, by not using the common lingo, they will not understand when it is used and they are not with you.
I know I'd be suspicious of some one shooting at my range and they didn't understand the lingo of racking the slide.
I teach the common terminology to all that begin with me.
I only ask because I never heard the phrase until I left the military. This was not taught during the military pistol training or qualification courses I attended. The term was strange to me the first time I heard it, but I see your point.

I use all the popular street slang terms like, bust a cap in a fool and racking my jammie! 🤣 Just kidding!

Seriously though @David N it is really hard to find how the definition of racking relates to firearms but it is a term I've always used.

Back