testtest

Range Report: Fletcher Arms, 6/30/22

BassCliff

Professional
Greetings Patriots!

And a Happy 4th of July weekend to you all. I'll make this quick. My plan today was to use only 100 rounds for pure marksmanship fundamentals. I've been working on a lot of timed drills lately and I was getting sloppy. I went to the newer Fletcher Arms range at their Lake Country location. I was assigned lane #12, my favorite lane! ;)

AM-JKLWnYfxz_Cli_4yxMjtYZc9rv-Uq2Jd-SpIXAP-vWix-Fb4ZNNm4sS4yp_ZyMY2Re9lSmi1p6bWZwycUTqel4fnlhRRx0KsGFthQ3ECQIySNc7wqwxc0Q3dNuNZdmgUMUVaOkel4pLseLfG-7dITWOnANQ=w1236-h927-no

I brought a few B-8 targets and centers along with a couple of 12x18 splatter burst silhouettes. Since the range was dead, I couldn't help myself buy shoot one cold 10-10-10 drill. It was pretty lousy.

AM-JKLWpt5pUBAQMceAKl-v_ZvaMlevniINzPKdNBcyNj4aSgsI1KVQvuQNZHjpic7tue0d-5svshxjahkL_ja8F0XUoaxRdmUAZU38LVKFo57Mxq8QU4NuAgtjz6noW44fhYpErOo9c6LvqcjrDMJQKJYjGWQ=w1236-h927-no

The I slow-fired the rest, really trying to concentrate on fundamentals, grip, sight picture, trigger pull. Targets #2 and #3 were pretty lousy too, but a little less so.

AM-JKLXYZHX55eI-uPGag4_U42vk_zzAbPcCcpRFOz_ZE3HqyAspwHreHd2tlWR-xbHrEZ6leEp0n4u0rxABE1Ktc-RTa9F3TACA8T1k0fJk9H98OZXQyCmsypum-SuqerNiRNsSAEwL_tb6arDwqar9xQPSqA=w1236-h927-no

AM-JKLUE3n7XHZh02s2dt2jVc1Xqr9FEhbly_uuBoeqBzpPxCFJMALC-CSXlEPSFOudmeVwGgBrORCs-vbmGpS76xTeDTh6IHg1HAp0Vr3TZuPgPdwxY6nmt7jKcqF1lbXjqdat2eht_DTvrD46325Xuhkjv_w=w1236-h927-no

I took a video of #4. I guess I was really serious. It was my best of the day.

AM-JKLWP1sXgiLfij2_4FS8_0auzo_BHILJZNnNhgcdPS-gGx3yc_IBdvgc6ZVVwa7lZ2ZsSvMu9KMJvEqTuvYvthqphiuc-hXD5upkgaRTskQU0K9dT-Vd47lMhJUkgy5E2lYY2K4csQrmv4qyJYYn1IZYT0g=w1236-h927-no

The rest were just OK, but showing improvement. I think I need to fix my mindset and refresh my muscle memory.

AM-JKLVpxWO7sXlgHmRLqN9Q5uXAT4pjYqOzLujb3YJ5CtJPflmn3IV5zeZ5qcwOidpAky8Fes8c1bT1VgW8dVmstrqlMkEc1nwkWGyypqynSd6ALj8VHq8PYGL5MwuhExBySGRvDYwdzra5u2NLanFDN_IXkw=w1236-h927-no

I think there are four bullets in the #10 on this target, but still two out of the black.

AM-JKLXqfjtlda26Wd5U7S5f_H35ZS1ljT8WXYa5E9g44fviOo_U6wOiKZ8-lnZRwBUxyhHolStMCGrqLRKWTSE1ElfQ7aVnG8SIRsC-R_qwyxYz0bvI0663A8NhkmSrppjJpcXBQ0gIcV2L5FZ_SXvVBrwpNQ=w1236-h927-no

Only one out of the black on my last B-8 target of the day.

AM-JKLXJ--5I9PkAdod2FML0ItNjBdl_JNPiHv6gPWjN0rJd5vSd1qKPj-gJtm2bBIkX4Q885NNmL-QLqhD9QlWPGs62TUiUSw7eeRCOg9GWS9l9ZqZVdVHRlLnHrUteijKBxodotfTkcXlN987iIMo0_QMwbA=w1236-h927-no

Then I shot four magazines (7,8,8,8) at this reactive target to test the new front sight. I definitely need more practice with this little gun. I have to be really careful with that long trigger pull.

AM-JKLWOFSS4JOtRUcaHnIEg85LhE3UZOcWuqAUewrpgdMwvFsqHlnhPb6NonNMOOVdDVMgmY5m4hNJsfsOS_DLAt5XNNj1H4kjfROG7QAUsPDtcbJvILRajoGU9534bbtU8UbBSq6FwkJ7JE8xyIH23VspuQQ=w1236-h927-no

Then I shot a few magazine with my little P22. I know this target looks pretty lousy. I was sometimes shooting a bullseye and sometimes shooting the middle of an open quadrant.

AM-JKLW0ncYBhQzVZfKnwO3kQL4eQvykeMgPZajja6Aqb5MJyWq4xOTeum2D8NxTsMyJWfgIvv16_5FQ44WTBzXHNFfsD4PhggLxhgVHdceBceZTozRWKvkEdVF-U03BwMkfT-UgRq_9bPd1oHbYTou-cwg3pg=w1236-h927-no

Here's video of my lousy cold 10-10-10 drill followed by my best slow fire B-8 target.

I'll practice more pure marksmanship before I get back to the timed drills. I've signed up for the Defensive Handgun Level 1 class here at this range. It will be a bit of a review for me but it will be good to re-lean the things I've forgotten or gotten lazy about. That DH1 class will qualify me to draw from my holster while practicing at the range and satisfy a prerequisite for their other skills clinics, which are good for review and maintaining skills. This old noob is on a quest for skills. :D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Hey Cliff, you say you are an old noob. Did I miss some back story on this? Did you get back to shooting after a long layoff or are you literally an old noob (no offense). Your reports remind me of when I shoot. I take pictures of everything and over analyze everything (if that’s possible!) How does the P22 work for you? I have several .22s and really enjoy shooting them. Btw, I don’t know why, but the last lane with the wall is definitely not my favorite.

Hi Simon,

Hey Cliff, you say you are an old noob. Did I miss some back story on this? Did you get back to shooting after a long layoff or are you literally an old noob (no offense).

Yes, I guess you could say both situations apply. As a kid we had a few firearms in the house. I shot clay pigeons and varmints when I was a wee lad. Then 40+ years passed until I started buying my own guns. I've been training and practicing with my current little armory for only two years.

Your reports remind me of when I shoot. I take pictures of everything and over analyze everything (if that’s possible!) How does the P22 work for you? I have several .22s and really enjoy shooting them. Btw, I don’t know why, but the last lane with the wall is definitely not my favorite.

I like to keep track of my (lack of) progress. :ROFLMAO: I can look at the video frame by frame to see how much the muzzle moves as I pull the trigger. I don't post all the video I take, it way too ugly. I compare the groupings on the targets using the pictures, hoping to see improvement. Plus, I like to share all my old noob mistakes thinking younger noobs won't repeat them. 😜

My feelings; It's hard for me to take the P22 seriously. It's a fun little plinker. I still not satisfied with the sights. The barrel is too short for serious marksmanship. I should spend some decent money and get a decent .22, maybe with a 5" or longer barrel, so that I can hit something (Ruger Mark IV Target or similar). But I'll keep working with the little P22, maybe adjust the windage some more, so that I can shoot it better. I'm sure it mostly the shooter's fault. One of these days I'd like to get a .22 rifle too.

Having the wall right next to you is noisier. Sometimes the brass will bounce off and land on me, my head, down my back, today one landed inside my glasses. You can see it on the video. It was a pretty interesting day at the range. :D

BassCliff

Hi,

The 12-lane at Lake Country Fletcher is my fav when shooting brass. Easier to sweep up and recover it, making me look like an absolute FUDD...as if I care!).

It's a nice facility. It's easy enough to sweep up your casings. I don't know how the staff would feel if I started taking the brass from in front of the firing line. Next time I go I'll ask how much they sell the spent casings for. I keep telling myself one of these days I'll get into reloading. I'm going to start looking for used gear.

BassCliff

Have you ever used the Mantis system? You can use it for dry and live fire. It tracks your pull before, as and after you pull the trigger and scores it and charts it all. I see direct correlation between when I dry fire at home and the results I get at the range - particularly when I working or adjusting my grip. It’s a nerds paradise! Mine had paid for itself many times over.

Hi,

Have you ever used the Mantis system? You can use it for dry and live fire. It tracks your pull before, as and after you pull the trigger and scores it and charts it all. I see direct correlation between when I dry fire at home and the results I get at the range - particularly when I working or adjusting my grip. It’s a nerds paradise! Mine had paid for itself many times over.

I use the G-Sight laser cartridge for dry fire practice. It does not give you as much information as the Mantis-X system. But I haven't been dry fire practicing as often as I should. I'm a bad old noob.

BassCliff

Back