testtest

Range Report: Practice and DSF104, 11/21/22

BassCliff

Professional
Hello,

Bless me forum for I have sinned. It has been three weeks since my last range report. It's mostly because I've been busy with holiday and family stuff but also because my performance as of late has been truly lackluster. I thought since my two hour private lesson (11/1/22) I'd be able to see a marked improvement in my accuracy at ten yards and beyond. I'm guessing I'll need a little more practice before the lessons truly become part of my muscle memory and I get more consistent. This report includes three range sessions, a live fire practice session, a laser practice session, and a live fire training session (USCCA Defensive Shooting Fundamentals 104: Movement). This was the second time I've taken their movement class. It's a fun one with different drills and scenarios each time.

Let's start with my live fire practice session on 11/16/22. There was still lots of snow on the ground from our early winter storm on the way to the Lake Country location.

q1jWaJWkEPnaenN77CkB8B1VtaSbz4GX-ahiNMjQzFp4N-7HHWSANHfQ73opN5BOUiWCJZEhWIbN7QHR_zzPt8wYOQ_U2ZNOUmkQbKuLsAXRp28mderMcFMbTgG1WtIlAsFNkXyqejWwkiwHvL0AN-UM83YqHtNL_nhmVuX63wSLcekfv42byo3uX8FUqSTu_GZ6QGer0pxQ6-BY4aFyFEkFY6u5RgO0umdzgeUrTkGMngJO5K0pfGlXm8z_AU85M22aij5NJThzQ0onLj6IfbxNpvfqe-BnM6v5mcScH-0CGVo4x-WkiDDKvvSP_i4X1ZreqmUqnSYhALlyTF7nduncCgzb5_DDXVw2mJA5QZKIyeumQbSwSlI-Y_TQphOruyDPUIpSUJ_Qe3ff6v5J2sOZmbFNzypVvXP4tCkZ08JdjKd-Pn_F4Wn05bdrHv2oqSnBHOqghnaAWTK7KKQaST_6VuWdbQbpgPyxsVWhBF9rRLrW0Hhh-BvTYxPLlfM2r1AQ-MQbjBhEZG5YHIgRUapxaLOdxE5mtZFEdhu1QOnyvwH5lDB26zpt3SUmsYPHkj8L7VzrcsWuKY7eY26kkMWHKwnDGorAu2CVvN_zQNqh6mPvXZHRtHxee8sCYvyWGFhxYa0nSxOtlUiGALFtnBPY5d7w7r1vQM9y7M3TBmRyuP2xO7Hq3wT43PDuScPUhPNNhoJE3UwfaWtYXcxDmm714xuhaEOmu7XGQIUtGGKzw7FhhIKuxIQAsQhgt2E8Wa7nVl4zOHwLjizDbUk_vIXsNzzE7PEVC5MWJIoUJZOJgqNEeXgfsSwkD96U7cC2GPqDYGczCflkt-EcjMW2n4_NUlBe6VQUd1gmTwplzCZgwAGTPFt2-vAyArdHwtrqBLz_m4_o5vCLCV3mT4_PyFMcq-0W4Kd5m6wr2DKKGSlJF3GLwA=w1236-h927-no

It was kind of a slow day. I was assigned lane #7, my favorite lane! Despite the fact that it was slow I resisted the urge to run any timed drills. I just wanted to shoot a box of 9mm and .45 to practice the lessons I (think I) learned.

AL9nZEWTLcJKxobjvcDotJJwpPLgEd87_Rw4voD3R--B4KqAJq7NAhDVzN0EP43oiHwlJGP4fAregOh3u3rIvV2p7Ev6Ge9TQRSxyzP4l_Gcrpv9NtOIBnPBzVPida4Yrl22OD3yBoJY1EOgn0he5Jw3XPa1sQ=w1236-h927-no

Well, apparently I did not do everything correctly. This was my best target using the XD9. I'm starting to think I'm gripping way too hard with my support hand, i.e. overdoing the lesson I learned.

AL9nZEVq-Ay3ZowlTVbz6AkegK1Qh-4GgDrz1ibW5TApvv5mToCwvoOKt48bmnUUGifS6xaeCUGpriesW8ueGMEvMs-c1EQ5xoaltAGeMIHy1aAlcjLQPNtHxZBz6xOskdaxftuha1sITWQHxmDeFD3xlfLx4Q=w1236-h927-no

It looks like I'm doing to the same thing with the Garrison .45. I know you have seen me shoot much better than this.

AL9nZEWEp9vjotNKSiVxMWvrxWnpSCwElFR3vVC1MthDzMGkUj6YbgJbBzqBXtB5-HO6H2bHbGSQ_J7Odeo6YAsw9TGPGNUzdMrQGHHBEYF7lSBXSgAssldq8fZfRZqWe9BMIX3D8Zrz62PwjehUo_5urd-FYA=w1236-h927-no

I cut my practice session short because I was just not in the groove. I didn't even shoot my .22 pistols today. At least I had a pretty drive back home from the range.

AL9nZEXQpP58cKvWxTUx3UjVFoX5zx_qmO-2c_FcwYYzlzrpOE2Uo75bTAvgafszP3QVxcJL4_fhTwS-RSAxZzpY0_n5begeM99gaKSR6MeUad4FQwhK93Q0lINN5jdNmHfS4XsdEXGnjJknb1myScvljQpmYA=w1236-h927-no

I practiced in my basement laser range a couple of times that week for at least an hour. The day before my defensive shooting class I shot both pistols from ten yards, ten shot strings, for accuracy. These results are getting fairly consistent. This was one of my strings using the XD9.

AL9nZEW-eBDQNEbex7gFa72eCYjoMtI99bV3WcptVXOral5NdIqXIon3xfCNQFBYwA_gcaN1nsI_3EtptH4aGaGIrhyN06TNoJIkTpMimAFMAyX_27lkMgK00Uai7H8c2dkjo29inQZuIsf5PefbGFu5RMsqHg=w522-h927-no

This is one of the results using the Garrison .45.
AL9nZEVQR7F3q-XPiKvujUYRduZgcgHANzmDwj2qFu1os-xYvYtk2wGPmlqFx-JneIcuYq3QaImdhsxxAhsHPAR3eaVfVJpOj_cVTcNvmVmfi0-nBqRX8PKAM4w74RsQJHY1chUAHDzuZqNjP87ekrrcE1eNTg=w522-h927-no

As you can see, these groups are much tighter and more accurate than my last live fire session. I believe it's because I was not holding onto my pistols with a death grip. I was using a firm but more relaxed grip while incorporating the support hand techniques learned from my private lesson. Later this week I'll get back out for some live fire practice.

It's been a while since I used a timer so I practiced my quick draw from 7 yards while on my laser range. I hung the B-8 center in the high thoracic area of a full sized silhouette. I had a few good five shot strings with several times under 2 seconds. Here's one of my runs.

AL9nZEXIMSlqtHIRMPSN_uqFp1M0Cb6J1ZyggqqIDyE4BYHl8r7imN3aIJAA7kX_GGGl2pqorCoxQ4JM94nopV71Bjh0lhaI2Z3O6C-EsHALWlejnJ_lDb-98liyqLaf7ETUdOvOUsiof2L12efBkq9v_fVZvg=w522-h927-no

AL9nZEUvSOfgw-epQZr_vcrOzKVyex9rBhkNw8MclOtWZ4GNI67R9Cm32l9xnepkP5PtEY7Hous_KPkLHGP1OcwIjsA5gqQz-QX2E6Er0ZHSvpd1XUo8Su9yEXduXE1YnjSjUnOh7LtNzK0lTgdSgakJKDrxyw=w522-h927-no

AL9nZEVLUIoRamzWvmHvnshJS8RL-K5KLiRgkoI3NfNO27uFxFJU3IeUW7sSCbf-e589wvppzMVo4FaAhmN_DavX39PUNelIfHOPwt7u5aV_6EvPlTORmnzpKTYFzlSxrB7KhJkSPuJ9sf1yoBwVleEr_VsF0Q=w522-h927-no

AL9nZEWNaULCR6ihuzJhdgodWK84fznlcy2DFCiBBgIw95XhlHDLZVbJsRFUmxD5rEAeMM2bP2F_XCcwz1bKME3PnZ7FyxlWCNsR1Sa6wFfX0GmTursETiRXpNu5V-JdQ1NDRYvKBCP0-r7AdpscB-liv1Iu0A=w522-h927-no

AL9nZEWuBI28oWgxJY4dRPGxGFGwxFxJK_a_H7OqbsAm3P7A7vV7EGMoNUeYI45cSic96nqIBcPOjF8fF5BhqAeM1SuAKeuft_-G2MHSWe4wZjo8RB3WRhp7l2gxUTl3tSzZ7nTdtBNddOfK_9OJderAP_KsMQ=w522-h927-no

I'm a little out of practice with my quick draw. There was a time when I was closer to 1.5 seconds. I'll work on this some more once I get more consistent with my accuracy. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Hmm, this site is complaining my post is over 10,000 characters. Drat. I'll split it and finish up in the next post.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Hi!

To continue...

Then last Monday I took another movement clinic. This one was held at the older facility. It's been a little warmer lately so most of the snow is gone now.

AL9nZEWrSOEabHqRnJj44noRP-RPzCpqA-a3VkAHKDTFgkEyXEaYA-7sSEDudgOgKwknn8rwyJKupOUnMGpWMJ9iYzwIEgXo4393xfCpa-8a-nY3Lgz04L7p6Hu-p_s_gIwf6zB3Ku5jqE1Co8QsznhEe83aJA=w1236-h927-no

We meandered beyond the bays out onto the range and listened while our instructor Jason gave us the low-down. This is a Defensive Shooting Fundamentals clinic focusing on movement, presentation, accuracy, cognitive challenges, etc.

AL9nZEUPyiJIk4cQXM5ViKtCDgYnT6BiyB7kITzziPPaJSRsAtBRMoLSw5YIoeR0NYtcIX1Q3ORYxai_WwqzVRsfGJvLPzTkjPS3DmUeEejwAnvhCIjFrG3RUKC5wNB9IYSJpPT3KTvLhlPtXx8ypIKdsKVLrg=w1236-h927-no

Our first few drills involved pivoting and lateral steps, "getting off the 'X'". If you happened to take a lateral step to the right and the student next to you stepped to the left, you just had to deal with the distraction. Stay safe, stay focused, stay on target. Here's Ashley coaching a couple of students. We shot this drill, as we did all of them, at varying distances from 5 to 20 yards.

AL9nZEWLhOlSFL0vzTb1djuZMmLcNI2LEGBuL2esce9p3qHmuzeNU66G0tV4tKny9Fyp-H5JznGieZUg_K7AUtA2Tql8PXAffCUB7O2tE79QHl5WhmTYr55kYwue-1WcRu9q8vtps0sqkPcjPy_qcikrZDfv6g=w1236-h927-no

For our "stroll in the park" drills the class was separated into two squads. There were three lines on the floor. On command the squad would walk to that line whether it be in front of behind us. The instructors would pepper us with questions to get our minds working and then at any time give the "UP!" command, or a number command, which would mean there is a threat. Depending on where we were in our stroll we might have to pivot or get off the X in order to present and stop the attacker.

AL9nZEXzn65xStoCnMHQ_gCg9qA-Dp0YW95ORsdMgMo2HDQCwD7q3q9Qoceyjloa0bgi1SuyaWzsA6X9V48K0BtmWczkzyogLhasrjXjw9GLoBQGcx_j5l6tw3FtfF-hXbL5E9KPaqAcME-KW2wpRwREvbcjOQ=w1236-h927-no

We went through a few of these targets. A regular "UP!" command would mean three to five shots on center mass. Commands could also be a number or letter, which means a single shot on that spot.

AL9nZEUJBO2VX4Nber0S9EhxmrbpbfylufRvE-fmRovslD25YAX3AoeVT6jJ7K6Pu84h6WX9NsGhqJ47g319i-fxInTpVX8KE9Xg97G0rt7McFybi89kTxIcQTH1Hw-Tsj_8LBzOcFi9gkOLcRNz-BFF_iO5-g=w1236-h927-no

My target is here in the middle. I did pretty good this evening. You'll see all my hits on center mass (the lager hole had two bullets through it) and on a couple of numbers.

AL9nZEXwKbtsZRUbAcvuTrkcnBvqPSNcFYNOOeFuxiJMUsn3XCNgKWSH3ek_KEiqh_NVMfncy4NeqSBowEvW9bVorB-LTz-oG8iOl2nqS-k58ABWBNO86ArFzMihWtDxItq61Psv7TuXXuCb-WpCA85O2BRTUg=w1280-h756-no

As cognitive overload and fatigue set in, my accuracy suffered but even my worst wasn't all that bad. We all stayed safe and kept the hits on the paper.

At the end of the class we tried a fun experiment. Jason was telling us about a good guy with a gun who stopped a mass shooting recently with one well placed head shot from 20+ yards in less than 3 seconds. We all had a couple of cartridges left so we gave it a try.

AL9nZEVaNrBz4uc6bZM3pKZQ6rTf7auKP2rl-y3bZJdAZ1HK-ewI5fYyCczgTdYENfM0-XPOewwWqACguOLb3IVnXaaSJkdvX-alTeM2rw2c7MLYk2Nkyj0ffg6OTjFCmbF-vuWk5bgSBQUlumKh5vewqOdWZQ=w1236-h927-no

Even Ashley tried it. I think she's turning on her red dot here.

AL9nZEXYkvtcZpP7ivRNumDHyULuTQY0VT2tl70FtRAss-XjmXZ2CtBE6HAtpCwwCicWkPpjkl700VpF1jbNj2dqrSp59zMcRfvc6pqXKtOWvcTaJ07zm8GoBPmN6c46gxg9z5T6owvKeI7rKC3M6cJu9mJd9g=w1236-h927-no

I tried it a couple of times and got close to the head but nowhere near the "T" zone. My first shot was over par by a second and hit his jugular. My second shot was under par but in the upper shoulder. Neither of the instructors hit the "T" zone. There were two students who did hit the "T" zone. They got ten dollar gift certificates to the range store. Anyway, it was a fun distraction at the end of class.

I'm going to try and get in two live fire practice sessions this week. Mrs. BassCliff is going out of town so I'll have plenty of free time. I'm hoping to get my live fire practice to look more like my laser practice by incorporating the same grip techniques. It seems I'm trying to stop the gun from moving at all, causing me to grip too hard. I know some shooters work that way, making the gun do exactly what they want it to do. While others will let the gun recoil (under control) and worry about keeping an accurate sight picture while pulling the trigger. Kind of like this guy, who says the most important things, over grip and stance, are sight picture and trigger pull. He goes on to say that certainly stance and grip will allow you better follow-up shots. I promise not to shoot my gun upside down with my pinkie while standing on one foot.

You guys are great. Thanks for putting up with me. Holiday blessings to you all.

BassCliff

Cliff, as you tighten up your support hand are you unwittingly tightening up your primary hand and pushing the gun down and left? It certainly looks like it.

Next time you are at the range see if they have an Sig X5 Legion as a rental. I can’t really explain it but when I got mine it was a real ah-hah moment for me because the gun felt very easy to hold and I didn’t have to manhandle it. It was very zen. I have heard many people say the same thing about the X5L. It’s a big gun - definitely feels bigger than a 1911 - but might be a brain break - a change from what you are used to. My .02.

Best, Simon

Cliff, as you tighten up your support hand are you unwittingly tightening up your primary hand and pushing the gun down and left? It certainly looks like it.

Next time you are at the range see if they have an Sig X5 Legion as a rental. I can’t really explain it but when I got mine it was a real ah-hah moment for me because the gun felt very easy to hold and I didn’t have to manhandle it. It was very zen. I have heard many people say the same thing about the X5L. It’s a big gun - definitely feels bigger than a 1911 - but might be a brain break - a change from what you are used to. My .02.

Best, Simon
They are a great gun, but not zen for me, won’t say which gun is zen for me……hint……begins with a G and ends in a 34…….😬

Hi!

Look like a really nice range, i always get a kick out of looking at indoor range pics and all the holes in the ceilings and way above the targets. either some really bad shooting or accidents. lol

It's an older facility but they take good care of it. I'm hoping that they will upgrade the target carrying system someday, like their other facility. I know what you mean about holes in the wall. Every indoor range I've ever visited looks the same. None of those holes are mine. :ROFLMAO:

My instructor told me I was, indeed, gripping with my strong hand way to tight. He was watching the tendons and muscles bulge in my hand. The mild stippling on the back of the grip was leaving indentation marks in the palm of my strong hand. He said that was a bit much. :p

As a member I get free rentals. I can try any gun in the store, either store. On your suggestion, I will see if they have one and try it. I'll try just about anything once, twice if I like it. ;)

BassCliff

Gotta be able to affix the saddle properly to the horse before you ride it.

I’m going to stick my neck out. Again

Get the saddle proper before you try to ride.
Proper fundamentals first.
Repetition on target. Always. No misses

Then go ride
Ok, you talking about grip on a gun or gripping the reins and tightening the saddle…… and I’m told I go off topic…….🤔🤔🤔🤔

Back