testtest

Range Report: Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite

David N.

Professional
Founding Member
View attachment 14357

I took my new Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite to the range yesterday afternoon for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The last time I had the pleasure of firing a 22/45 was back in the 90s when I shot a friends target model with a 5.5" bull barrel. I kind of missed the "heft" of that model when I first picked up my new 22/45 Lite from Academy last week. That feeling faded quickly once I started emptying my first magazine. This pistol is a joy to shoot and if you have not had the pleasure of shooting a 22/45, you should borrow/rent one soon. I promise you won't be disappointed.

I picked this up because I am not able to practice with my EDC due to unavailability of practice ammo. Now that .22LR is becoming more available, this will allow me the opportunity to continue practicing the fundamentals with an added benefit of cost savings over 9mm. My loadout included my 22/45 and three types of ammunition for comparison. Below are links to each.

Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite: https://ruger.com/products/markIV2245Lite/specSheets/43927.html
Aguila 22 Super Extra Standard Velocity: https://www.aguilaammo.com/ammunition/1b220332/
Aguila 22 Super Extra High Velocity: https://www.aguilaammo.com/ammunition/1b220328/
Federal Champion Training Range Pack: https://www.federalpremium.com/rimfire/champion/champion-training---rimfire/11-729B800.html

Form factor: The grip of the 22/45 version of the Mark IV is nearly identical to the 19ll and feels the same in the hands. If you are a 1911 fan, you will feel right at home with this model. I was impressed that Ruger included a set of removeable rubber double-diamond grips. It reminded me of my Kimber Custom II 1911, which also included rubber grips. Note. I prefer these over G10 or wooden grips. The front and rear of the grip have checkering too as a bonus.

Trigger: The trigger was nice, but the verdict is still. First impressions are there is minimal take-up before you hit the pressure wall, then a small amount of creep before a crisp break. Trigger reset if very short. The overall feel of the trigger size and shape are very good. I am sure things will smooth out after after a period of use.

Recoil: The sights are all black construction target-type and were difficult for me to make out in a dimly lit outdoor range. My failing eyesight was also a contributing factor. I will most likely upgrade to a red dot in the future. Note. This will be my first experience with these types of sights, but I am looking forward to it.

Recoil: The recoil is what you would expect from a .22LR, but there is noticeable muzzle rise. I believe this is due to the internal cylindrical bolt reciprocating rearward from the aluminum receiver. Note. This might not be as noticeable from an all steel receiver model.

Cycling: I fired 25 rounds from each brand mentioned above with the following results. Note. I believe the failures may be related to the spring tension on the new magazines, because the failures seemed to dissipate as time went on.
  1. Aguila 22 Super Extra Standard Velocity - no misfires, no failures to eject, 2 failure to feed.
  2. Aguila 22 Super Extra High Velocity - no misfires, no failures to eject, 2 failure to feed.
  3. Federal Champion Training Range Pack - no misfires, no failures to eject, no failure to feed.
  4. Aguila 22 Super Extra High Velocity [repeat] - no misfires, no failures to eject, no failure to feed.
Magazine: The magazines seemed to be of quality construction, but were tiring to load using the sliding tab button. Recommend using a mag loader for long training sessions.

I have always been a fan of the Ruger Mark series, but never made the decision to purchase one until now. I have absolutely no regrets with this purchase, and I cannot wait for the day when I can introduce my Grandkids to shooting on this very pistol.

Thanks for your time.

View attachment 14357

I took my new Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite to the range yesterday afternoon for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The last time I had the pleasure of firing a 22/45 was back in the 90s when I shot a friends target model with a 5.5" bull barrel. I kind of missed the "heft" of that model when I first picked up my new 22/45 Lite from Academy last week. That feeling faded quickly once I started emptying my first magazine. This pistol is a joy to shoot and if you have not had the pleasure of shooting a 22/45, you should borrow/rent one soon. I promise you won't be disappointed.

I picked this up because I am not able to practice with my EDC due to unavailability of practice ammo. Now that .22LR is becoming more available, this will allow me the opportunity to continue practicing the fundamentals with an added benefit of cost savings over 9mm. My loadout included my 22/45 and three types of ammunition for comparison. Below are links to each.

Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite: https://ruger.com/products/markIV2245Lite/specSheets/43927.html
Aguila 22 Super Extra Standard Velocity: https://www.aguilaammo.com/ammunition/1b220332/
Aguila 22 Super Extra High Velocity: https://www.aguilaammo.com/ammunition/1b220328/
Federal Champion Training Range Pack: https://www.federalpremium.com/rimfire/champion/champion-training---rimfire/11-729B800.html

Form factor: The grip of the 22/45 version of the Mark IV is nearly identical to the 19ll and feels the same in the hands. If you are a 1911 fan, you will feel right at home with this model. I was impressed that Ruger included a set of removeable rubber double-diamond grips. It reminded me of my Kimber Custom II 1911, which also included rubber grips. Note. I prefer these over G10 or wooden grips. The front and rear of the grip have checkering too as a bonus.

Trigger: The trigger was nice, but the verdict is still. First impressions are there is minimal take-up before you hit the pressure wall, then a small amount of creep before a crisp break. Trigger reset if very short. The overall feel of the trigger size and shape are very good. I am sure things will smooth out after after a period of use.

Recoil: The sights are all black construction target-type and were difficult for me to make out in a dimly lit outdoor range. My failing eyesight was also a contributing factor. I will most likely upgrade to a red dot in the future. Note. This will be my first experience with these types of sights, but I am looking forward to it.

Recoil: The recoil is what you would expect from a .22LR, but there is noticeable muzzle rise. I believe this is due to the internal cylindrical bolt reciprocating rearward from the aluminum receiver. Note. This might not be as noticeable from an all steel receiver model.

Cycling: I fired 25 rounds from each brand mentioned above with the following results. Note. I believe the failures may be related to the spring tension on the new magazines, because the failures seemed to dissipate as time went on.
  1. Aguila 22 Super Extra Standard Velocity - no misfires, no failures to eject, 2 failure to feed.
  2. Aguila 22 Super Extra High Velocity - no misfires, no failures to eject, 2 failure to feed.
  3. Federal Champion Training Range Pack - no misfires, no failures to eject, no failure to feed.
  4. Aguila 22 Super Extra High Velocity [repeat] - no misfires, no failures to eject, no failure to feed.
Magazine: The magazines seemed to be of quality construction, but were tiring to load using the sliding tab button. Recommend using a mag loader for long training sessions.

I have always been a fan of the Ruger Mark series, but never made the decision to purchase one until now. I have absolutely no regrets with this purchase, and I cannot wait for the day when I can introduce my Grandkids to shooting on this very pistol.

Thanks for your time.
Good review David, I kinda figured you would notice some small recoil due the the shroud being aluminum instead of steel, now I can’t wait to take mine out and see how it does, thanks for posting.

I have always liked Ruger Marks but hated cleaning them. The IV solved that problem. I was a very early adapter of the IV in the form of the stainless steel Hunter. This is my favorite .22 pistol with some Volquartsen help.

This a great rabbit hunting gun with a red dot on top. It is both a challenge and great fun hitting running bunnies with it. It also means no buckshot in the meat. :D

I have always liked Ruger Marks but hated cleaning them. The IV solved that problem. I was a very early adapter of the IV in the form of the stainless steel Hunter. This is my favorite .22 pistol with some Volquartsen help.

This a great rabbit hunting gun with a red dot on top. It is both a challenge and great fun hitting running bunnies with it. It also means no buckshot in the meat. :D
Wow, I totally forgot to mention the ease of takedown!

View attachment 14357

Thanks for your time.

This is a must have for loading the magazines that came with this pistol. Just received my order today.

I recently added a red dot sight to my setup, because I simply cannot see the factory target sights [all blackout] included on this model. I tried adding a nice green fiber optic sight from Tandemkross, but it only helped slightly. The sight I chose was the Truglo Tru-Tec Micro Subcompact Open Red Dot Sight that I purchased from Academy. I was able to purchase it on sale for 40% off regular price. I think this was a good deal considering the reviews.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/truglo-tru-tec-micro-subcompact-open-red-dot-sight?sku=black

The addition of a red dot sight improved both my sight picture and accuracy on target. Although it did take some getting used to, I was able to rapidly acquire the dot in the window after a few magazines. I discovered that my presentation was sloppy and when corrected the dot appeared in the window immediately each time without having to search for it. I think a red dot is worthwhile for anyone looking to upgrade their sight picture, or just wanting to have some fun with a new upgrade.

When I went to the range with my jarhead buddy this past Saturday he brought his girlfriend with him. She had one of these. Also a little Sig P230something or other .380. The little .22 shot fine. When we got back to my shed I had to find a video on how to disassemble the .22 light. It was a little tricky.

The Sig on the other hand had an issue. The plate on the back of the slide that would retain the striker if it were a striker gun ( it is a hammer, I suppose that plate retains the firing pin assembly) kept sliding out of the frame. I Googled that too and couldn't find much about it. I suggested she either take it to a gunsmith or drop an email to Sig.

When I went to the range with my jarhead buddy this past Saturday he brought his girlfriend with him. She had one of these. Also a little Sig P230something or other .380. The little .22 shot fine. When we got back to my shed I had to find a video on how to disassemble the .22 light. It was a little tricky.

The Sig on the other hand had an issue. The plate on the back of the slide that would retain the striker if it were a striker gun ( it is a hammer, I suppose that plate retains the firing pin assembly) kept sliding out of the frame. I Googled that too and couldn't find much about it. I suggested she either take it to a gunsmith or drop an email to Sig.
22s are fun. I don't know why I didn't buy one earlier.

22s are fun. I don't know why I didn't buy one earlier.
They are. And those are nice little pistols. Threaded barrels. Lots of fun.

I got hung up trying to get the frame off. When the guy in the video said get a mallet I thought uh oh. lol

It's like anything else though, once you've done it, you've done it. No big deal.

Hmmmmm, my 22/45 lite disassembled with no issue, went back together fine also, mine is the MKIV, I never took any of the older models apart, just used gun scrubber on the metal framed pistols.

Back