testtest

RANGE REPORT: Springfield Armory Saint 5.56, M-LOK AR-15 Rifle

David N.

Professional
Founding Member
I took my new Springfield Armory Saint M-LOK to the range this afternoon for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Note. I am a first time AR owner, so I decided on an entry level rifle and a basic setup (e.g., rifle, spare mags, and sling).

Range loadout included my rifle, safety equipment, and the cheapest ammunition I could purchase for analysis. Below are links for each.

Springfield Armory Saint 5.56, M-LOK AR-15 Rifle
https://www.springfield-armory.com/saint-series/saint-ar-15-rifles/saint-556-m-lok-ar-15-rifle/
ArmscorUSA - 223 Rem. - 55gr - FMJ - 20 round/Box
https://advancedtactical.com/armscorusa-223-rem-55gr-fmj-20rnd-box/

Form factor and build quality: Overall design, controls, and handling characteristics are reminiscent of the M-16 series of rifles I remember. The Bravo Company furniture was a welcome addition with improvements in ergonomics and excellent stippling. The improved grip angle was especially helpful. Everything was tight and well fitted throughout. The build quality was exceptional and something I would expect from Springfield Armory.

Trigger: There is still a small amount of creep before the break reminiscent of the M-16 series of rifles I remember, but not as gritty. I am sure things will smooth out [nickel boron coated] after a period of use. Trigger reset is audible and tactile.

Sights: The sights are usable and create a standard sight picture [front sight post, rear sight aperture], which is easy to acquire. No need for an optical sight right now. The sights were nearly zero from the factory requiring one click down and one click left to zero at 25 yards [two three-round groups, six rounds total].

Recoil: The recoil is manageable with no noticeable muzzle rise during slow to moderate firing. The sights tracked on target throughout.

Cycling: I fired 40 rounds total during this range session with no misfires, failures to feed, or failures to eject.

Magazine: The included magazine from MAGPUL functioned properly during insertion, feeding, and ejection without issue. The texturing of these polymer magazines is a definite improvement over the smooth side aluminum GI models.

I was on the fence about purchasing an AR for a long time, but I am glad I finally decided to do so. Having a Springfield Armory Saint makes it all worth the wait.

Thanks for your time.

I took my new Springfield Armory Saint M-LOK to the range this afternoon for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Note. I am a first time AR owner, so I decided on an entry level rifle and a basic setup (e.g., rifle, spare mags, and sling).

Range loadout included my rifle, safety equipment, and the cheapest ammunition I could purchase for analysis. Below are links for each.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/saint-series/saint-ar-15-rifles/saint-556-m-lok-ar-15-rifle/

Form factor and build quality: Overall design, controls, and handling characteristics are reminiscent of the M-16 series of rifles I remember. The Bravo Company furniture was a welcome addition with improvements in ergonomics and excellent stippling. The improved grip angle was especially helpful. Everything was tight and well fitted throughout. The build quality was exceptional and something I would expect from Springfield Armory.

Trigger: There is still a small amount of creep before the break reminiscent of the M-16 series of rifles I remember, but not as gritty. I am sure things will smooth out [nickel boron coated] after a period of use. Trigger reset is audible and tactile.

Sights: The sights are usable and create a standard sight picture [front sight post, rear sight aperture], which is easy to acquire. No need for an optical sight right now. The sights were nearly zero from the factory requiring one click down and one click left to zero at 25 yards [two three-round groups, six rounds total].

Recoil: The recoil is manageable with no noticeable muzzle rise during slow to moderate firing. The sights tracked on target throughout.

Cycling: I fired 40 rounds total during this range session with no misfires, failures to feed, or failures to eject.

Magazine: The included magazine from MAGPUL functioned properly during insertion, feeding, and ejection without issue. The texturing of these polymer magazines is a definite improvement over the smooth side aluminum GI models.

I was on the fence about purchasing an AR for a long time, but I am glad I finally decided to do so. Having a Springfield Armory Saint makes it all worth the wait.

Thanks for your time.
Congrats on your new aquire and awesome job on the well written review.

Very succinct and informative write up David…
Quick question: did u fire only for zero/test purposes or do any distance targets? Reason is, I’ve been considering one myself and wondering how accuracy is.
Thanks. My purpose was to zero the factory sights during this trip and to familiarize myself again with the platform. It came back to me very quickly, just like riding a bike.

The accuracy was very good at 25 yards. I was stacking shots on top of each other using a Caldwell's Lead Sled provided by the range. I will try longer shots at some point when I locate an indoor/outdoor range with 100-meter lanes. I am sure others on the forum can attest to the accuracy.

Congrats, @David N. ! :)

Since it's been a while since you last had an AR, may I suggest a few items of-note for you to consider addressing? :)

(1) Double-check all staking and reinforce where-necessary. If you have the ability to reverse-torque the carrier key hardware, now would be a great time to do so, to get ahead of any possible issues. If not, just try to wiggle the key with your hand/fingers - make sure it doesn't loosen with just your finger/hand/wrist force.

(2) Since you now have the gun open and are looking at the "castle nut" staking, test clearance of the rear of the carrier key versus the lower receiver. You'll want to insure it clears a stack of two US Quarter coins.

(3) While you're there with the carrier, see about the fit between the carrier key and the gas tube. Make sure it's well-centered. If you have access to a gas-tube gauge, all the better, but even if you don't, having an experienced user performing the above test should help somewhat certain fit.

- before you remove your cam pin to free the bolt in your field-strip of the BCG, make note of its orientation front (muzzle)/rear(buttstock) - you can mark this with a Sharpie for now, and address it more below in note #6 -

(4) Give the gas-ring test a run so that you can see how it feels now, when everything is new.

(5) And since you have access now to the bolt, examine and tension-test the ejector - note how it looks/feels, new. This will help you troubleshoot and/or replace-from-wear.

(6) Feel the "teeth" of the extractor. Again, this is for your tactile memory as with #4.

(7) Get a feel for the slop (if any) of the cam-pin fit in relation to the bolt (if there's some slop, you'll note that the front/rear relation of the pin [as you marked with that Sharpie] will likely make the slop better/worse as you flip its orientation), as well as examine its contact surface: note how smooth it is for the time being, as you will see wear on the pin as you accrue mileage (and this is a normal-wear item that can/should be replaced as-needed). Provided that the orientation you initially marked happens to produce less slop than its mirror image, permanently scribe the orientation for future reference.

(8) If you have the ability to remove the ejector (or happen upon a gauge that allows you to test with the ejector in-place), measure headspace and remediate to 5.56, if-necessary.

(9) Give the barrel-extension/feed-ramp area a quick "Q-Tip/toothpick test," to insure smooth transition as well as the fact that it visually looks properly machined and assembled.

^ Much of the above can be seen in the various "BCG Physicals/Autopsies" on the SOTAR YouTube Channel (which, if you have the time to do so, I *highly* recommend that you just power through all of them, as there's sooooo much knowledge and know-how shown):

https://www.youtube.com/c/InstructorChad/videos , with the following specifics:

- barrel-extension/feed-ramp (item 9):
- gas key to lower-receiver gap (item 2):

(10) Check that your muzzle device is well-installed and properly timed. Remediate as-necessary,

(11) Take the time to witness-mark all fasteners, including any which you may have added in terms of either OE accessories or aftermarket (including your sights).

(12) Take the time to check all QD cups for proper retention of QD connections. The last thing you want is a sling popping off when you didn't intend for it to! ;)

(13) Get mags while the getting is good. Mags are at a really good price-point now. Since you know your gun seems to like the Magpul P-Mags, feel free to stock up on them - figure out if the ones you have are the legacy Gen M2 or the current Gen M3, and purchase accordingly (as sometimes a gun that likes one may not like the other). Know that just a few days ago Okay Industries decided that they were no longer going to be a part of the AR15 .223/5.56 market - their Surefeed magazines are considered to be among the best of the aluminum breed, so if you like aluminum magazines, I'd get your hand on one of them to test ASAP, and then buy in-bulk when you've vetted fitment. Remember here that it's not only about whether if the mag falls free when empty or even how well it functions the gun, but also about how easily (or not) that magazine will insert when filled to-capacity:

-----

Well, if you've stuck it out with me this far, I think that this should help insure that you'll both have a good time at the range and can be relatively certain that the gun will come through in emergency-use. (y) I'm sure I've missed something, but I'm just as certain that plenty of the other brothers and sisters here will be able to pick up my slack! :)

Good Luck and well written! I just ordered my first AR, Saint MLOK BMA and I am anxious to get it.
I will try very hard not to load it up with accessories. Pics?? Always love pics!
Thanks, and congrats.

I tried to attach a pic, but this thing is painted so dark that there is literally no definition in the photo. Gives new meaning to black rifle.

Congrats, @David N. ! :)

Since it's been a while since you last had an AR, may I suggest a few items of-note for you to consider addressing? :)

(1) Double-check all staking and reinforce where-necessary. If you have the ability to reverse-torque the carrier key hardware, now would be a great time to do so, to get ahead of any possible issues. If not, just try to wiggle the key with your hand/fingers - make sure it doesn't loosen with just your finger/hand/wrist force.

(2) Since you now have the gun open and are looking at the "castle nut" staking, test clearance of the rear of the carrier key versus the lower receiver. You'll want to insure it clears a stack of two US Quarter coins.

(3) While you're there with the carrier, see about the fit between the carrier key and the gas tube. Make sure it's well-centered. If you have access to a gas-tube gauge, all the better, but even if you don't, having an experienced user performing the above test should help somewhat certain fit.

- before you remove your cam pin to free the bolt in your field-strip of the BCG, make note of its orientation front (muzzle)/rear(buttstock) - you can mark this with a Sharpie for now, and address it more below in note #6 -

(4) Give the gas-ring test a run so that you can see how it feels now, when everything is new.

(5) And since you have access now to the bolt, examine and tension-test the ejector - note how it looks/feels, new. This will help you troubleshoot and/or replace-from-wear.

(6) Feel the "teeth" of the extractor. Again, this is for your tactile memory as with #4.

(7) Get a feel for the slop (if any) of the cam-pin fit in relation to the bolt (if there's some slop, you'll note that the front/rear relation of the pin [as you marked with that Sharpie] will likely make the slop better/worse as you flip its orientation), as well as examine its contact surface: note how smooth it is for the time being, as you will see wear on the pin as you accrue mileage (and this is a normal-wear item that can/should be replaced as-needed). Provided that the orientation you initially marked happens to produce less slop than its mirror image, permanently scribe the orientation for future reference.

(8) If you have the ability to remove the ejector (or happen upon a gauge that allows you to test with the ejector in-place), measure headspace and remediate to 5.56, if-necessary.

(9) Give the barrel-extension/feed-ramp area a quick "Q-Tip/toothpick test," to insure smooth transition as well as the fact that it visually looks properly machined and assembled.

^ Much of the above can be seen in the various "BCG Physicals/Autopsies" on the SOTAR YouTube Channel (which, if you have the time to do so, I *highly* recommend that you just power through all of them, as there's sooooo much knowledge and know-how shown):

https://www.youtube.com/c/InstructorChad/videos , with the following specifics:

- barrel-extension/feed-ramp (item 9):
- gas key to lower-receiver gap (item 2):

(10) Check that your muzzle device is well-installed and properly timed. Remediate as-necessary,

(11) Take the time to witness-mark all fasteners, including any which you may have added in terms of either OE accessories or aftermarket (including your sights).

(12) Take the time to check all QD cups for proper retention of QD connections. The last thing you want is a sling popping off when you didn't intend for it to! ;)

(13) Get mags while the getting is good. Mags are at a really good price-point now. Since you know your gun seems to like the Magpul P-Mags, feel free to stock up on them - figure out if the ones you have are the legacy Gen M2 or the current Gen M3, and purchase accordingly (as sometimes a gun that likes one may not like the other). Know that just a few days ago Okay Industries decided that they were no longer going to be a part of the AR15 .223/5.56 market - their Surefeed magazines are considered to be among the best of the aluminum breed, so if you like aluminum magazines, I'd get your hand on one of them to test ASAP, and then buy in-bulk when you've vetted fitment. Remember here that it's not only about whether if the mag falls free when empty or even how well it functions the gun, but also about how easily (or not) that magazine will insert when filled to-capacity:

-----

Well, if you've stuck it out with me this far, I think that this should help insure that you'll both have a good time at the range and can be relatively certain that the gun will come through in emergency-use. (y) I'm sure I've missed something, but I'm just as certain that plenty of the other brothers and sisters here will be able to pick up my slack! :)
I field stripped the rifle and gave it a GI cleaning before I headed to the range. I inspected most of the items you mentioned above. The build and setup is very tight with staking at the right points. I expect this thing to run just like Uncle Sam's rifles. I should not have to worry about any failure points should I?

The mags are Gen 3 loaded to 29 rounds just like the GI issue aluminum models.

Thanks for your time.
I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the Saint. Last year I purchased the Victor in 5.56 and had a similar range experience. It too is my 1st AR although I've shot many friends ars and fit, finish and accuracy are excellent as is the welcome addition of the upgraded furniture.
I've since added a Holosun 510 to aid my old eyes this one ar worth the coin

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the Saint. Last year I purchased the Victor in 5.56 and had a similar range experience. It too is my 1st AR although I've shot many friends ars and fit, finish and accuracy are excellent as is the welcome addition of the upgraded furniture.
I've since added a Holosun 510 to aid my old eyes this one ar worth the coin
I can still see the front sight on a long gun, but may upgrade to an optic in the future.

Back