testtest

Range Session

No scripted (pre-planned/written-down) range visits for me. My range time is pretty much the same, as in working on grouping at various distances. Occasionally, I don't worry about grouping the shots, and am just there to put some downrange at the target for the sheer pleasure of being outside at the range. I don't do competitions, or hunt, so it's mostly about maintaining basic shooting skills and relaxing. :)

Last edited:
My range sessions are seldom the same, although if I’m having a little trouble becoming somewhat proficient with a skill, I may do the drill on more than one session. For example, a session may include clearing a malfunction, another may be pure shooting, and yet another may be holster drawing. Of course, all involve shooting. I’m trying to cover all the bases as best I can. I pick my drill before I go, and that way I can have all the equipment I need there (snap caps, concealment wear, etc.). Also, it keeps my training fresh.

I really need to get more organized - I've got a whole cache of drills, but unlike Tenbones, mine is embarrassingly disorganized. :oops:

That said, I do try to go with a plan: it may not be specific in terms of what drills, but I usually have a task-list of things to work.

I'd love to go just for fun, but I'm a little too Type-A for that, I think. To me, checking off those boxes and accomplishing the tasks I set out to do is plenty fun. :)

Yeah, popcorn fart. :p

I have a very good idea of what I will be doing each time I go. This allows me to take only needed items which cuts down on the packing. A broad look would be shooting days, carry only days (paper only), steel plate days and rifle range days. I use each of the different sessions to work on grouping (accuracy) and speed. I really enjoy practice but find I need my practice to have a purpose which make the trips to the range fun.

After a trip with the wife to the range yesterday and going through my standard carry drills, again confirmed I shoot my Shield PC .45 more accurately than my 365 XL. I believe this to be due to the sight picture (hate the Sig sights) but still love the little gun. Any other 365 owners dislike the sights and still no aftermarket sights. BTW the wife should have no issue qualifying this Spring with her 380 Shield AS of her Shield PC 9mm. After noticing this again I worry about doubt creeping into the mind.

Back