testtest

Recommendations for a self build .308 for hunting on a budget

Directions

Alpha
Founding Member
Title says it all. I'd like to build my own hunting rifle and am looking for some recommendations on parts and places for good deals. Thanks in advance.

I'm thinking of doing the same. Are you looking at an AR semi-automatic style or boltbolt action?

A buddy and I put on together with an old VZ24 (Mauser) action and a Shilen barrel. Lapping the bolt face and the lugs, adding a good trigger, etc were not bad jobs.

Remember that AR10's are not the legos that AR15's are. There is a lot more variability in what parts work with others, and at least three rail heights and patterns floating around out there. I would suggest getting a matched upper/lower and working from there. Make sure you know what height rail the upper is, and stick with the DPMS patterned guns as there are more options at the lower end of the market for building on a budget. Stag and Diamondback matched upper and lowers can be had for under 200 and there is always PSA.

Palmetto State, as @Epeeist already stated AR10 parts from different companies may not play well together. But if you buy the components from say Palmetto State you should be good. They constantly have sales so you can pick up your parts as they become available. Just remember that they may take a minute to ship.

I actually don't have one set, and I'm hoping that the sum of all the parts is less than buying something outright. The penny-pincher in me wants to keep things cheap (like no more than $700), but I would rather put something together that performs well and is durable. I'd like to set up for being able to put a suppressor on later.

I'm thinking of doing the same. Are you looking at an AR semi-automatic style or boltbolt action?
I'm leaning more towards bolt action as I am less likely to encounter a regulation that would stop me from using it for hunting. HOWEVER, I have heard of a product that shifts operation of an AR style rifle to a bolt action. It's called the Kali-Key. I started another thread here to get some feedback on it. https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/kali-key-performance-and-feedback.112/

If I were to make an AR style platform, I think I would like to do a piston system though. I should be able to mod that system pretty easily to switch between semi-automatic and manual operation. If anyone has done that, please feel free to share your tips.

Last edited:
If you go with a piston system you will go over your 700 budget. Piston setup adds more weight which is not ideal for a hunting rifle

If you go with a piston system you will go over your 700 budget. Piston setup adds more weight which is not ideal for a hunting rifle
Right. Part of the reason I was looking more into a bolt action platform. The next build though...:D

As mentioned before, the AR10 is not as standardized as the AR15. With that said, I would recommend staying with the DPMS format on the AR10. You will find much greater parts availability and pricing. Also, the DPMS platform is much easier to upgrade in the future if you want.
One of the best bangs for the buck is Palmetto State Armory. If you watch their specials then you can buy Lower and buy an Upper at a really good price. Over Christmas, you could buy both for a total of $700. Not sure why...but you can often get the PSA upper & lower separately at a lower price than a complete rifle.

I actually don't have one set, and I'm hoping that the sum of all the parts is less than buying something outright. The penny-pincher in me wants to keep things cheap (like no more than $700), but I would rather put something together that performs well and is durable. I'd like to set up for being able to put a suppressor on later.

I'm leaning more towards bolt action as I am less likely to encounter a regulation that would stop me from using it for hunting. HOWEVER, I have heard of a product that shifts operation of an AR style rifle to a bolt action. It's called the Kali-Key. I started another thread here to get some feedback on it. https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/kali-key-performance-and-feedback.112/

If I were to make an AR style platform, I think I would like to do a piston system though. I should be able to mod that system pretty easily to switch between semi-automatic and manual operation. If anyone has done that, please feel free to share your tips.
A piston style will take about $200 right off the bat. There could be some out there cheaper. Need more specifics as AR15, 10 or bolt action.

Back