testtest

Reflex Sight Vs Red Dot Sight: Truth You Need To Know

BobM

Hellcat
An interesting article describing differences between red dots and reflex sights. It has good descriptions of three basic red dot sights or RDS types; Prism Sights, Holographic Sights and Reflex Sights. Be aware, there seems to be some disagreements about holographic sights elsewhere being red dots or not and there being a difference between them and new electronic innovations are almost constantly happening and available.

Now I know about prism sights. Thanks @BobM ! Do you know how too make the dot larger or smaller? On a rifle with a long pic rail you can have more flexiblity. Use your thumb for the test. Hold your thumb close to your eye and it blocks more view (larger). Now slowly move your thumb away from your eye and it gradually gets smaller giving more view. The dot however never changes size, but covers less or more at (100 yards) the given moa. People with longer arms will have the dot appear smaller at arms length than shorter arm people. A crazy sight radius with only 1 sight. I'm unable too give accurate info distance from the eye on where dot (moa) changes. With an adjustable stock your rds sight will be inaccurate after changing length of pull from sighting it in. At shorter distances it's very small amounts of coarse.

Now I know about prism sights. Thanks @BobM ! Do you know how too make the dot larger or smaller? On a rifle with a long pic rail you can have more flexiblity. Use your thumb for the test. Hold your thumb close to your eye and it blocks more view (larger). Now slowly move your thumb away from your eye and it gradually gets smaller giving more view. The dot however never changes size, but covers less or more at (100 yards) the given moa. People with longer arms will have the dot appear smaller at arms length than shorter arm people. A crazy sight radius with only 1 sight. I'm unable too give accurate info distance from the eye on where dot (moa) changes. With an adjustable stock your rds sight will be inaccurate after changing length of pull from sighting it in. At shorter distances it's very small amounts of coarse.
Any time. Am just learning about RDS, have been for awhile. By no means am I an expert.
Advice is always welcome. Your experience and advice are good to know, thanks!

The article isn't completely accurate. The Sig Romeo 5 is a reflex sight and it has 1X magnification.

Having never looked through an Eotech I can't really comment on if a holo sight is better than a reflex sight. Probably it is. I mean it's what most military guys prefer.

I guess the same way I am not overly sensitive to triggers, as all my handguns and shotguns have stock triggers and my ARs all have enhanced mil spec triggers, I am also not all that picky about sights. When I was shopping for my first red dot for a shotgun I researched for a few weeks and then bought a Romeo 5. I've since bought 5 more and have them on nearly everything. I'm 100% sure there are better ones out there, but these work just fine for me. They are extremely reliable and robust, they are relatively small and light and black. Checks all my boxes. I generally leave my handguns with whatever sights came on them as well. I did put TFX Pros on my VP9, but every other one I own has the stock sights.

I did put a MRDS on one handgun. It's a Q5 Match which is intended for range use only. I chose a Vortex Venom. It also works just fine. If I was to put one on a carry gun ( I won't) it would be something different though. Probably a Delta Point Pro. I would want something extremely durable, battle proven and something with " Shake Awake".

I have an ACOG 4X scope and an EOTEC on my SIG AR, and a SIG Romeo 1 shake awake on a P226. I had a couple cheap RDS over the years that ended up in the trash.

I attended two RDS instructor courses and a large part of the training was how to select a RDS for an agency. It was interesting to see the RDS units that failed during a high round count course. My Romeo 1 made it through without a hiccup. The choices are bewildering but I can tell you for certain, durability and reliability costs money. I am still confused about the different technologies because there are so many different ways to get the dot to appear.

RDS changes everything we knew about handgun marksmanship. Perhaps the biggest paradigm shift is how to present the pistol, and where your focus should be. Having iron sights to fall back on in the event of RDS failure is a key issue. If I were training recruits today I would first qualify them on iron sights and then make iron sights a component of periodic qualifications. Battery access is an issue but you don't have to contend with it very often-battery life on RDS for pistols is usually about a year. The argument for non electronic HOLO sights is compelling but low light is a limiting factor. The technology will eventually shake out with clear frontrunners. My money is on Trijicon, Leoupold, and SIG.

I have an ACOG 4X scope and an EOTEC on my SIG AR, and a SIG Romeo 1 shake awake on a P226. I had a couple cheap RDS over the years that ended up in the trash.

I attended two RDS instructor courses and a large part of the training was how to select a RDS for an agency. It was interesting to see the RDS units that failed during a high round count course. My Romeo 1 made it through without a hiccup. The choices are bewildering but I can tell you for certain, durability and reliability costs money. I am still confused about the different technologies because there are so many different ways to get the dot to appear.

RDS changes everything we knew about handgun marksmanship. Perhaps the biggest paradigm shift is how to present the pistol, and where your focus should be. Having iron sights to fall back on in the event of RDS failure is a key issue. If I were training recruits today I would first qualify them on iron sights and then make iron sights a component of periodic qualifications. Battery access is an issue but you don't have to contend with it very often-battery life on RDS for pistols is usually about a year. The argument for non electronic HOLO sights is compelling but low light is a limiting factor. The technology will eventually shake out with clear frontrunners. My money is on Trijicon, Leoupold, and SIG.

I'd love an ACOG. If I was LEO or military for sure that's what I would use. I can't justify spending that kind of money for what I use them for.

The article isn't completely accurate. The Sig Romeo 5 is a reflex sight and it has 1X magnification.

Having never looked through an Eotech I can't really comment on if a holo sight is better than a reflex sight. Probably it is. I mean it's what most military guys prefer.

I guess the same way I am not overly sensitive to triggers, as all my handguns and shotguns have stock triggers and my ARs all have enhanced mil spec triggers, I am also not all that picky about sights. When I was shopping for my first red dot for a shotgun I researched for a few weeks and then bought a Romeo 5. I've since bought 5 more and have them on nearly everything. I'm 100% sure there are better ones out there, but these work just fine for me. They are extremely reliable and robust, they are relatively small and light and black. Checks all my boxes. I generally leave my handguns with whatever sights came on them as well. I did put TFX Pros on my VP9, but every other one I own has the stock sights.

I did put a MRDS on one handgun. It's a Q5 Match which is intended for range use only. I chose a Vortex Venom. It also works just fine. If I was to put one on a carry gun ( I won't) it would be something different though. Probably a Delta Point Pro. I would want something extremely durable, battle proven and something with " Shake Awake".

"The article isn't completely accurate. The Sig Romeo 5 is a reflex sight and it has 1X magnification."

- Partially why put there are new innovations, meaning different innovations in description of article. - With electronics, things are constantly changing and evolving. Plus, author may not have known or experienced certain brands capabilities? *Article was also updated, so was apparently an older article.

Eotech makes a few different sighting systems. Holographic sights, red dots are a some of them.
Am not too familiar with Eotech either.

I don't have a leupold, but do have the other 2. Vortex of several on various cartridges/calibers from 22 to 30cal in the AR platforms only. I've mounted several of the mentioned on handguns with 5k+ rounds and the only 1 I had an issue with was the Trij (came loose and a light failure). Light failure was only due too battery not making good contact. Fixed the coming loose part was on a 10mm. The venom over the viper (I have only 1 viper) will be my choice on Vortex sights. The type1 Trij hasn't been a problem, but several recommandations say use type2. I have the sig romeo 1, 3 and 5 that has been perfect (the 1 is on a 226) and some are on both pistol and rifles. I do have crimson trace and 1 other brand that escapes my mind at the time on pistols that have done very well. Getting the dot size, controls and mounts makes more of my decisions. 2 to 5moa dot is all I use, not much of those larger than that.

An interesting article describing differences between red dots and reflex sights. It has good descriptions of three basic red dot sights or RDS types; Prism Sights, Holographic Sights and Reflex Sights. Be aware, there seems to be some disagreements about holographic sights elsewhere being red dots or not and there being a difference between them and new electronic innovations are almost constantly happening and available.

"Be aware, there seems to be some disagreements"

🤣🤣🤣 How funny is that. I haven't even read the article yet and I could have guessed that one!

It's on okay article, at best....admirable that they went back and updated, but I wish they would have done more: including assigning a more knowledgeable editor help the author with some of the inaccuracies.

And yes, I understand that there's been a progression of technology, but given its last revision date (March of this year, 2021), I'm less than impressed.

First, to suggest that a prismatic sight cannot be used with both eyes open is simply not true - and this is knowledge and experience that has long been known in the industry and hobby. The Trijicon ACOG sets the archetype for this type of use with the Bindon Aiming Concept. Even a traditional riflescope can be shot with both-eyes-open with some training...and heck, with a modern true- and nominal-1x LPVO (low power variable optics) can be used outright as a RDS, with both eyes open, for speed of engagement and without compromising accuracy or precision, as Practically Tactical and Steve Fisher demonstrate below:

I also wish that the author would have noted that shooters with astigmatism often most clearly visualize the reticle in the prismatic RDS (versus reflex or even holographic) as that etched reticle will not present with optical distortions/artifacts as a projected one would - and also to balanceout this advantage with the note that due to the increased power consumption it takes to illuminate that etched reticle, these sights tend to have lower battery lives than LED-based reflex sights.

In terms of the holographic RDS, I would have liked it if the author would did not suggest that some shooters consider this type of RDS to be "the best" - rather, to have instead kept it objective and noted that for some shooters with astigmatism, the way the holographic reticle is achieved works to eliminate or minimize the visual aberrations seen through that shooter's affected eye(s). While this is not a guaranty (versus the etched reticle of the prismatic), it is nevertheless worthwhile for shooters with astigmatism to at least try a holographic sight during their shopping for a new optic.

Similarly, it's not necessarily only their price-tag that currently makes their use less popular than in years past (witness the high price tags that comparable high-end prismatic and reflex sights demand), but also the fact that due to the need to power the laser that creates the hologram, battery-life in these sights tend to be significantly shorter than reflex-type sights that utilize LED-based optics, and furthermore, that concerns of absolute durability have also driven some users to switch.

It is with the author's write-up on reflex-type RDSs that I have the most problems.

First, I do not agree, at all, that one most often finds either the exposed or enclosed types with any particular type of weapon system. The author's suggestion that an exposed/open type is favored for long-gun use is absolutely unfounded. For one, Aimpoint's "tube" type, enclosed reflex RDS -along with the holographic EOTech and the prismatic Trijicon ACOGs- have dominated military contracts.

Second, to suggest that it is unique to the reflex sight that one's eye does not have to be absolutely aligned with the optic is again completely not true. Instead, this is a quality that's equally claimed among all RDS - and in-reality, even a traditional magnified "scope" can be employed in this manner. The difference here lies instead in how much easier it is to still be able to see a sufficient portion of the target/reticle to achieve acceptable aiming with the RDS versus a traditional magnified scope, with considerations of scope-shadow. However, modern LPVO have both generous eye-relief and eyeboxes, and even if this were discounted, as with prismatic RDS and scope-use where scope-shadow does intrude into the sight picture, proper training and understanding of the downrange effects of not having proper eye alignment can still make for acceptable shots. [ That the author finished this section without clarification regarding claims of "zero parallax" with RDS is also disappointing. For those newer to RDS, the second portion of my post in this old thread shows why manufacturers' claims of "zero parallax" with RDS should be taken with a grain of salt: https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum...-pistol-sights-for-old-eyes.9060/#post-112918 ]

It is also not true that only some reflex sights are able to operate without batter power. Trijicon is typically the name many shooters associate tritium-lamp use with optics and sights, and both various ACOG models (again, prismatic) as well as their defunct RX01NSN 1x24 Reflex (as seen in SOPMOD Block I kits; as its name implies, this is a reflex-type RDS) feature(d) illumination via ambient light amplification (via a fiber-optic light pipe) along with low-light capabilities via tritium phosphor.

Finally, suggesting that a "riflescope that do[es] not have an aiming point" is used to augment the reflex sight in terms of magnification is again doing a dis-service to a less-experienced reader who may have come to this article in the earlier days of their search.... To have simply written the proper description for such a product, a "magnifier," would have both been more exact as well as have helped that beginning hobbyist be better able to conduct product searches on his/her own. [ Also, why was the holographic sight not cited for this same shortcoming, of no inherent magnification? ]

The clarification is nice but ... you can study, research and guess all day long. You don't know if it is really what you want or if it even works for you until you take the plunge, spend the money and put it on your handgun or rifle.

After all, I'm not really sure I care how the red dot is being displayed (LED, prisms, mirrors, etched, etc.). I just need it to be clear and be able to get on target quickly with it.

An example would be a holographic sight. You can read all day long but until you actual get to look through one and use it will you know if it works for you and be able to say, "this is pretty cool."

"Be aware, there seems to be some disagreements"

🤣🤣🤣 How funny is that. I haven't even read the article yet and I could have guessed that one!

To some people, correct or not, almost anything that isn't a scope is a red dot until learning more of the differences.

Part of some disagreements may be illustrated by this Eotech ad?
Product in article looks like a typical red dot at 1st glance and to some people it may still be considered one?

To some people, correct or not, almost anything that isn't a scope is a red dot until learning more of the differences.

Part of some disagreements may be illustrated by this Eotech ad?
Product in article looks like a typical red dot at 1st glance and to some people it may still be considered one?
If its has a red dot let's call it a red dot. 🤣 the Riton 1x8x24 scope I put on my .308 Victor has a reticle with a lighted red dot, sure we can't call it a red dot too? 😏

The EOTechs do look nice in the ads but I've never looked thru one.

But what about green dots? 😉

Usually found on Christmas trees, busy intersections and drag strips? - Am Kidding! :)

To me, green dots are a variation of red dot. Some people state green dots are easier to see or worse to see depending on background and sometime other vision issues. Some state example of: -"Green dots used as being more difficult to see on green backgrounds like grassy and forested areas." Guessing possible target area color makes a difference with using what ever color of RDS? Similar to using black sights on black targets.....

Possibly someone may have other vision issues like color blindness?

If its has a red dot let's call it a red dot. 🤣 the Riton 1x8x24 scope I put on my .308 Victor has a reticle with a lighted red dot, sure we can't call it a red dot too? 😏

The EOTechs do look nice in the ads but I've never looked thru one.
RDS? GDS? ....About all lighted optical sights could fall under "Illuminated optics catagory". Tritium sights could also fall into that group in some ways. - "Battery powered illuminated optics" may be a better way to describe some sight system catagories like scoped systems? But, then again, maybe not when getting into more specifics? Generalizations can help and hinder? - Specifics can too. Maybe all in the wavelength used at the time? :)

Usually found on Christmas trees, busy intersections and drag strips? - Am Kidding! :)

To me, green dots are a variation of red dot. Some people state green dots are easier to see or worse to see depending on background and sometime other vision issues. Some state example of: -"Green dots used as being more difficult to see on green backgrounds like grassy and forested areas." Guessing possible target area color makes a difference with using what ever color of RDS? Similar to using black sights on black targets.....

Possibly someone may have other vision issues like color blindness?
I posted that for this very reason. Some folks see some colors differently. The choices in gun sights are typically red, green, white, and amber (or yellow). I do not know the scientific or physiologic reasons for this but folks have different needs.

Back