testtest

Reloading 101: Do NOT Do These Things

BET7

Ronin
Founding Member
You experienced reloaders on the forum, already know all of this. But for folks like me that haven't yet started (but would like to), I found this video given by Tom Gresham very informative. Duration 17:06:

What DON'T you want to do when reloading ammunition? Gun Talk's Tom Gresham runs through some helpful hints for reloading, including what not to do and why. Be safe when reloading, and use the data at Hodgdon's reloading website (hodgdonreloading.com) to find the perfect formula.

When he makes remarks about "magnumizing" you can to a point (well not really, only add 100 to 300fps) depending on bullet weight and case capacity. As stated in the vid just 1 powder, bullet (style, brand, weight and type), powder and case (proven if used before or new case). Good post!
Yes, I thought Tom was specifically talking about our good old TFL, when speaking about “magnumizing” reloads. 🤔😆😂🤣

i only had gotten together my list of equipment i would like to get.

but to this day, i have not bought a darned thing, reason being the scarcity of some of the components.

i'd rather wait till things get better (sic), or just keep buying and stocking factory ammo.

In regards to buying the needed reloading equipment, I originally wanted to start reloading for my M1 Garands.
I kept reading about how the factory rounds could break internal parts of my Garands.
I started this under the obama administration and figured I'd buy a few pieces at a time due to the initial cost for everything to reload. It was tough to find anything, i.e. powder, primers, even some of the reloadingequipment.
Along comes Trump and things were looking good. I got WAY too complacent in the abundance of things and still didn't buy everything I should have. Big mistake.
Under slow Joe things have gotten waaay difficult again. Few things available.

Moral of the story, buy it when you can if it's available. Try not to put it off too long. Sorry for the long entry, lol.

Websites from reputable companies are your friend when you need scarce components. Stay away from fly-by-night operations who exist to take your money. Frequently check for primers and while expensive, they do show up now and then, but may disappear within minutes. Some of those have restrictions on quantities.
Monitor what you have and make your purchases before you run out whether in LGS, big box stores or online.

Here's my 2 bits on reloading. Buy Dillon equipment. I have two Square Deals, and while they won't do rifle ammo, they have done well over 130K pistol rounds. Dillon service is supreme. I call, tell them the problem, 2-3 days later I get the part no charge. Not one penny over almost 30 years.
I have some primers, and no they are not for sale, but it ticks me off that the manufacturers are putting available primers into a new caliber for which there are no , or few, guns yet. Don't care how good the round may be, what do I do with my armory, my bullets, cases and powder?
And how about some loading data on using magnum primers in standard loads. My guns are good quality and can handle +P loads so is there any way to use small pistol magnum primers (some of which are available) in standard loads? One of the things I don't do, as a reloader, is fly by the seat of my pants.

yeah, i put my name on a few well known websites for primers. right now, i want LPP and not magnums. (so i will not be interested in buying magnums) i already have on hand 1100 SPP's i got when i bought the RSO's reloading room. this does not mean to say that i am going to go "hog wild" and reload till that runs out.......BS.....it's getting warm and i got things to do outside.

reloading can be done on cold, dank days, of summer, or come winter.

my "first few" rounds of 9mm were charged at the "starter" charge, and i hope/plan on continuing to do so, for some time. right now too, i only have 2 pounds of 1 name brand of powder, when that runs out, i may switch brands. but to have more than 1 brand just isn't in the cards for me. i am only doing pistol reloads.

yeah, i put my name on a few well known websites for primers. right now, i want LPP and not magnums. (so i will not be interested in buying magnums) i already have on hand 1100 SPP's i got when i bought the RSO's reloading room. this does not mean to say that i am going to go "hog wild" and reload till that runs out.......BS.....it's getting warm and i got things to do outside.

reloading can be done on cold, dank days, of summer, or come winter.

my "first few" rounds of 9mm were charged at the "starter" charge, and i hope/plan on continuing to do so, for some time. right now too, i only have 2 pounds of 1 name brand of powder, when that runs out, i may switch brands. but to have more than 1 brand just isn't in the cards for me. i am only doing pistol reloads.
Sounds like 'm better off than you. When everything is loaded, and in over 30 years of shooting the only rounds I've bought are JHP for carry, I'll have a lot of ammo. At 79 probably enough to last until I can't pick up the gun anymore. I'll bet you're loading .45ACP for a 1911. I loaded that for a long time until the 1911 got to be just to heavy for EDC. Now I load and shoot 9MM almost exclusively for a Shield and Ruger Officer size 1911 which I carry, weight being the most important criteria.

No problem Michael. Reloading is something I know little about, but always eager to learn more.
In high school I got a D in physics and the teacher kicked me out of chemistry class after about 2 weeks, so my instincts told me to leave the manufacture of ammo to the professionals! Same goes for electrical work and plumbing.

Back