testtest

Reloading day..how many do you do at a time, and how often....?

Old_Me

Ronin
well, believe it or not, it is exactly 1 month to the day, that today, i reloaded a few more rounds of ammo.

i like to keep my 45ACP at a level of 2,000 rds, of the reloads.

when i went to log the info into the Dillon book, i was surprised it was that long ago....NOT that i was ever expecting to reload daily, in fact, i wonder how often any of you reload..?? monthly..?? every 2 or 3 months? once a year..???

45 ACP, 230 gr, lead, @ still the starting charge, with the remaining Bullseye that i have.

(still enough powder in the Dillon's hopper for maybe another "up to" 800 rounds) before i switch over to the Tite Group that i had purchased months ago.

i totally emptied the Lee press and dumped that into the Dillon. (the Lee does 9mm only)

several days ago, i spoke of the "birthday discount" given at Midway USA. part of the purchases i made that day was for 2 cans of Hornady One Shot lube.

of course the directions were helpful, but i lubed it my way, in a plastic bag.

the lube works quite well too. so i'll continue to use it

i still haven't really reloaded anymore 9mm other than the 100 rds so far, as 9mm is nearly dirt cheap now, and i have a good stock on hand of the new.

of course the other day, i put in my order of 1,000 -230 gr lead bullets on order, i should've ordered up 2,000, i only have like 50-60 pieces left, so, yeah, they will get taken care of soon, i had to stop at the 200 i made up this morning.

I haven't shot any of my last reloading sessions. New load development loads for 308win, 300bo, 264wm, 5.56, 9mm, 357sig, 40s&w, 10mm, 44mag, 45acp and 50ae to round it off. I would like to do small batches of rifle ammo (up to 200 rnds) in daily steps. Trimming, sizing and priming are the fastest and less demanding of the process, so that can get done in a shorter time. I just finished doing the 264wm build, so now getting an optic for it (or maybe just borrowing another) to start break-in and testing. Next, I'll need to finish the build on the 300wm and will be using factory ammo for that (hsm).

A few weeks ago I got my old mec jr out after 25 years or so to reload a bunch of 12ga trap loads. Just looking for something to do and to use up all the used shotshells, wads and shot I've had stored for a very long time.

I loaded a few hundred .300blk 220gr subsonic a couple weeks ago. I will load one caliber at a time for at least a few hundred rounds. I have plenty of factory ammo on hand of every caliber firearm I own.

I mostly load subsonic 9mm & subsonic .300blk. And I also load standard velocity 10mm & 6.5 creedmoor.

I load the subsonic rounds for shooting suppressed and it saves a bunch of cash. I can load a .300blk 220gr subsonic for under 50¢ a round where factory ammo is almost $2.00 a round.

I loaded a few hundred .300blk 220gr subsonic a couple weeks ago. I will load one caliber at a time for at least a few hundred rounds. I have plenty of factory ammo on hand of every caliber firearm I own.

I mostly load subsonic 9mm & subsonic .300blk. And I also load standard velocity 10mm & 6.5 creedmoor.

I load the subsonic rounds for shooting suppressed and it saves a bunch of cash. I can load a .300blk 220gr subsonic for under 50¢ a round where factory ammo is almost $2.00 a round.
Factory 300bo prices are horrific none the least! I'm shipping some ammo in a cartridge I haven't shot in years to someone via ups. UPS said no hazmat charge for it. If that's the case, then why do us as buyers get charged this?

I would case lube brass in a box or plastic tub. Me? I spray a few squirts in my case feeder.
My minimum is about 1K at a time. If I don't reload that many, I'll come back to it the next day or so. I fill 100 count ammo boxes and stack them up. Any more is dumped in .30 cal. ammo cans. I need to order more .32 and .38 bullets. Shotgun is 2-4 boxes before a match (3/month).

hey, i actually only have 20...well 30 if you count this lead bullet, left to reload..

as you can see, it is missing the wax ring...

can i use something else as a sealant?

or just set it aside if i find any more, then take them back to the store for an exchange?

just wondering what some of you have run across and had done about it

thanks in advance

jLnFoRf5lsgv01PNPt2BNSsU62NoSDo0Os-aaPNI5l9g2nPb9sVR9r-jVORNaMo1Fuquhouel40PKsvdyjMCuqBKDSckl2aINhHTPmaEObBW401jasMI_oZcWUqXwStqahCh2ftgytbgb3HWYhew2p3MlWrJ3R2QhBFCJ4mKZdUpoxupq9p2lWbb7sOT3BxpuuJUvw_Zsl2r0pzyvrXS_i-Cw-mck_j6g-uEdNvz-mN7eo1PjkNldtdDZDloow5km1Km2-xyZ5yDNylquIDITTxo25t6D-IYxJH30_D934z8URr632HzQbvN6gwE-oIDWewKL8yTkItVpabI5LDrHi3FynQycqRAEmt4jvQq_9PSCMZtqJxxVVX2F9m8cO3UB0ZfRfXii0Y58l6M3U1SgXk-P2KiiSsrwwJQ-QJ100tjrBLZf8KaF_jrThN7iie252w51S-IR9WJNJxIHmK2JJVtwGK3QrIK-8BHsqbIWdBbsvOyIJmVkU8-X0HiGTxMSF7JoBmRQurIJOsJewBKSW5eb7yWR5x6xrQq0d9p7slaNdKXXaH-AK6PWZZJcJrQFNxaxGGNiMC8cfwJMkT__fzjoHetjIMYnaaFXtMxGvUG3L8qZIIoycKWLvjg0bYfUwoSeaFG_q1V3kteha9zKB84kpZTjnte17_6Tyj-FaFUQtJsn4PiYvSpFn3H-Q3xVk6pnADZTWaWJ37W9zfmVeRXo976JKNeC62EOSAJ1t-bG1gu4pVCGWtPwyNL4skOy8EQWAnAW-hYy62MMZd7yTeIWGxNqvHnUWGyLy4PrJ00VF2ikC6nQJYrjMPa86beaeTDZLAue6SHoQXyohh-KiSBBb9-CLmleoNWd2qV3W2J-s3fltLjDtlZs1oI4LY-9y5bDCxNqmbZq0-FLxRYDk7eahT2ENqDwf5W85aYUQFlGmph=w1250-h937-no

You can use Alox or you can powder coat them. In your case since you have so few, I would try Alox. This is or like the waxy film on .22 bullets. Put a squirt in a margarine tub, place bullets, cover and shake. Allow to dry. I've not used it, but would probably try it if I get into casting.

i generally set up everything for 500 rounds. at the end of that if i feel like going on, i will load another 100 at a time
but for me 500 is about the limit, add in setting up, tweaking machine, inspecting brass, loading up the primer tubes and then boxing, logging, and cleanup , i tend to burn through 3 or 4 hours. not counting interruptions to snack o grab a water
phone stays in other room, its a zen type of time for me

i generally set up everything for 500 rounds. at the end of that if i feel like going on, i will load another 100 at a time
but for me 500 is about the limit, add in setting up, tweaking machine, inspecting brass, loading up the primer tubes and then boxing, logging, and cleanup , i tend to burn through 3 or 4 hours. not counting interruptions to snack o grab a water
well for me, from start to finish, it was about 2 hours to produce the 200 rnds. that includes everything but the snacking you do...but i do have a talk radio show on.......so it's not perfectly quiet, which works for me.

i try to get some things ready the night before, like counted brass cases, and the primers set aside, and the bullets.

it's getting better (time wise) from when i first started, weeks ago, but i don't race thru anything. i still check each base for the proper sized primer, as you know a SPP can easily get mixed in with the LPP's. (45 ACP's)

i still check each powder drop as well, and the light kit works wonders for that.

i still check the powder measurement every 20 rounds or so too

i also measure OAL every 10th or so finished round

then i have to write up new labels for the boxes at the end, log the book as to how many rounds made in either the Dillon or Lee, and inventory the boxes as well.

about once every 3 months or so, i do a fresh complete inventory of all my ammo.

Back when I 1st started reloading ('84) with 44mag I could churn out 1k/hour. Now it's difficult to get 1k a day. I'm still using the same 550 press I did back then................well I bought a 2nd 550 to make things easier/faster/simple. I looked into a feeding system for the press and talked to a rep. With the extra cost I wouldn't be saving any time or money as it wouldn't make it produce any faster than what I can do it in. When I was away for college (anywhere from 2-4 hours drive) I would take 5k rounds with me as there were ranges close to shoot. Just enough ammo to get me thru the week or 2 if needed.

Back when I 1st started reloading ('84) with 44mag I could churn out 1k/hour. Now it's difficult to get 1k a day. I'm still using the same 550 press I did back then................well I bought a 2nd 550 to make things easier/faster/simple. I looked into a feeding system for the press and talked to a rep. With the extra cost I wouldn't be saving any time or money as it wouldn't make it produce any faster than what I can do it in. When I was away for college (anywhere from 2-4 hours drive) I would take 5k rounds with me as there were ranges close to shoot. Just enough ammo to get me thru the week or 2 if needed.
i too have thought about expanding by getting a feeder system...however the ceiling is low in my basement, and there are low hanging heating pipes, above the bench, as well as a waste water pipe, so that idea went south faster than a retired person heading to Florida....

here is an older pic of my reloading area, and all the piping above..

SIAFF_e2Yv-yCAQ3MF519KdKbHMv70PZKeLjtX_xGVEN4xjNfOLHhzQ5D_121O-oFF-EHl00Hal9rpqX2GPyTruORSp2DmRMquA0q5Qc1hI81mCj9b-LDYtA1dbYzWKLDtWo5eOVckAQcOVSkQ6PzPW_ARBXE_qzDhn1E0WbrStiqfXLS5mZ5sYq2TeoKBVAQwjEICE81Keb6cNgb4anLL9JhjQwi-MElDTu2yWRO8iB5kuDOuy6u4x6KACgukH21FZWlxlr9h9zanPpFwdeOyPpuf1wlQdm8At6_qXsUTlOfLYj-jpW3dWjywUTzGG3gNInoM5F96zu0Uf8xbIM2zgPunBNd5rvbg3msr_2wvkdcpX5FPpOKf6DEEAn1pwNBEJRPFYHw-j6Rj4jaxRbkPldptqlM-QqfsGVjG25j8jyzLd-gItM0EZowUZ6Dbc0kRCYNnKqKE6c_UKvzM2dPYWuAn_PPLzUHVmBaAcFfL235FcAx8cJGqmf7tYjphZcKeMjw3RgXHlaFUytEbdXXNX-N8iMcx_2PGBvqqrrm4Lq3DCNCEy8DLaT6gUPMG5lB_GckCh6GG7q1-HMgK07gLKGoOYaoPJY590SfF7VsIS9nvb_ytz6NPTJsxmgW8bSXcCUvXy8mTMAgxpj5PZ84etvs614L4kNa_rNp50QRwT9Pzo5evL1QmFCv6Fz4uauqGtuItniOS3ZT0Rav5xyqF-xmkDPL8mnBjqF0EaUkGjolOdA5JpgglLc4CphJdZfdKQrFoQ0FWMlN2LE4hSvY11Vnfzt894MAsCYe-S8eSrxhZbI0e68aFzcSfy_XJmL95ath2xyfIZSdYBnLsUcSuIWV3xt5g66ngGmoa6fiL1L64doKSfPxb9KeRFPEisOVQ0N-LJutO7Xht5hKTrLyOKFJ9z4wyeKbjv0c_-3ExHy-soZ=w1250-h937-no

I use a buddy’s 1050. I used to check every 20-30 rounds, but…after I learned it stayed very consistent, I’ve gone to checking every 200 rounds or so; grab 2-3 rounds, measure OAL, pull the bullet and weigh the charge…haven’t been off more than .1gr ever.

I use a buddy’s 1050. I used to check every 20-30 rounds, but…after I learned it stayed very consistent, I’ve gone to checking every 200 rounds or so; grab 2-3 rounds, measure OAL, pull the bullet and weigh the charge…haven’t been off more than .1gr ever.
this is what i was pretty much told by two of the guys at the store. once you have your "recipe" not much changes, and i'll be reducing times for doing such.

well for me, from start to finish, it was about 2 hours to produce the 200 rnds. that includes everything but the snacking you do...but i do have a talk radio show on.......so it's not perfectly quiet, which works for me.

i try to get some things ready the night before, like counted brass cases, and the primers set aside, and the bullets.

it's getting better (time wise) from when i first started, weeks ago, but i don't race thru anything. i still check each base for the proper sized primer, as you know a SPP can easily get mixed in with the LPP's. (45 ACP's)

i still check each powder drop as well, and the light kit works wonders for that.

i still check the powder measurement every 20 rounds or so too

i also measure OAL every 10th or so finished round

then i have to write up new labels for the boxes at the end, log the book as to how many rounds made in either the Dillon or Lee, and inventory the boxes as well.

about once every 3 months or so, i do a fresh complete inventory of all my ammo.
i do all the brass cleaning weeks or longer ahead
they sit in bins all clean,
when i start the load, the brass gets spread out on cardboard trays like the ones (4) 6 packs come on at the store

i double check they are all same primer size ( i have both large and small primered .45acp, ) other calibers are all small.
the little primer brass gets put aside and the large is made ready to run
i spray one in 20 with a squirt of dillion lube, let them dry, then load trays with the bullets, make sure large primer feed is ready on the square deal machine, top off powder, fill the primer tubes, by then the lube is dry.
i made up a ton of labels in excell and tape them to the plastic bullet boxes,

then after i run all the large primer acp i switch out the primer feed and tubes and run the small 45 cases, this way machine is ready for 9mm if i feel froggy, just have to change out the die plate, which is already set for each caliber
i also check every 5, then 10 then 50 for proper load of powder after 1st tweak to get powder set for the bullet i am using, this usually takes 5 or so dry runs on the brass.
i build up 2 or 3 and weigh them, check oal size and seat depth,

then i randomly weigh a few built up cartridges to see if they fall into my margins, this usually happens as i wipe them down and put em in the boxes
then i log the loads i n my binder and ad any notes or issues.
my dillion is the cats meow, it just keeps on going. normal upkeep stuff and never failed
it will let you know as well when you screw up, i have forgotten to put bullet in case and then actuated the hand lever, only to watch a case loaded with powder fly across the floor
or once in awhile a stray 380 brass gets in the 9mm mix and your brain says..hey this is wrong, but your hands dont listen so you catch it , just after it got de primed . this only happens when i get help sorting brass. good intentions by a loving helper sometimes bites you in the rear end

if something distracts me or ?? i stop and look at every thing in the turret and make sure we are on right track. then restart.

no radio, but i do find my brain signing songs from the WHO, AC/DC and random artists so i am never really quiet :oops:
i find reloading to be very very therapeutic mentally, it forces you to focus only on the task at hand and let all the days bull crap leave your thoughts. it helps the craziness take a few hours off.

Back