testtest

Remington offers settlement with victims' families

If this stands more of these types of suits will be filed. An "important goal" of the suit "has been showing banks and insurers that companies that sell assault weapons to civilians are fraught with financial risk." How many manufacturers have pockets that deep?:(

Sandy Hook school shooting: Remington offers $33 million settlement with victims' families

Thanks for posting Recusant,
Could get interesting for many people?
Article states Remington filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy twice in two years. First one, this time, ended in May 2018. Something sounds off kilter with article when with either Chapter 7 or 11 Bankruptcy the party must wait 8 years before filing again. Either Remington's legal team knows something different or article may be off?

Thanks for posting Recusant,
Could get interesting for many people?
Article states Remington filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy twice in two years. First one, this time, ended in May 2018. Something sounds off kilter with article when with either Chapter 7 or 11 Bankruptcy the party must wait 8 years before filing again. Either Remington's legal team knows something different or article may be off?
This is what I found on the internet so it must be true: Chapter 11 and Chapter 12 rules don’t impose a waiting time requirement between discharges, you can file for Chapter 11 or 12 at any time following a prior discharge. Chapter 13 Following a Chapter 7, 11, or 12 discharge, you must wait four years before filing. In any case this settlement is bound to suck the air out of the gun industry's balloon.

This is what I found on the internet so it must be true: Chapter 11 and Chapter 12 rules don’t impose a waiting time requirement between discharges, you can file for Chapter 11 or 12 at any time following a prior discharge. Chapter 13 Following a Chapter 7, 11, or 12 discharge, you must wait four years before filing. In any case this settlement is bound to suck the air out of the gun industry's balloon.
Very likely. Many things in law change.

A few quick points:
1. This is a CNN article. Dunno where they picked it up or if it’s their own peoples work, but there’s a fair chance the info is incomplete or faulty.
2. Very bad precedent, as others have stated.
3. This has potential to upend certain criminal laws, not just liability law. The perp doesn’t pay, someone else does. The responsibility slides over as well, ultimately. ( Obviously, that’s where libs have always wanted it… it’s just that now we’ll get exactly that but not many people will realize it’s happening). The perp is no longer the criminal.
4. Costs - all kinds, not just guns n ammo - will go up steeply.

It does stand a good chance of getting overturned, at least.

This is a civil lawsuit, not criminal. I don’t think any precedent will be set as guilt or innocence was not determined. No judgement was made as to liability. Bottom line is, it’s cheaper and less time consuming for a corporation to settle something like this than to fight it. It was an economic decision.
You are correct; i was completely missing the ‘settlement’ part, and not ‘judgment’…
I do however believe it is a bad precedent; public opinion probably won’t differentiate between Rem and a parent company or organization a tier or two above them.

You are correct; i was completely missing the ‘settlement’ part, and not ‘judgment’…
I do however believe it is a bad precedent; public opinion probably won’t differentiate between Rem and a parent company or organization a tier or two above them.
I don’t think it’s great either, but it won’t affect anything in a legal sense. What it will do is give other people the idea that it’s something to try. And each company will make an economic decision as to whether it will cost more to settle or fight. I’m not sure any of these companies are making decisions based on ideology. It’s all about the money…

It was never reported but the town where the school was located sued the family of the shooter and although the parents of the shooter were divorced and the mother was the first victim that day the estate of the family paid dearly for the young mans horrible decision.
And yes this was civil wrongful death law suit there are others pending. It’s not over.

its an absurd precedent.
Folks have to remember someone long ago sued McDonalds over coffee was too hot and OJ Simpson was found not guilty. Anything goes

Back