testtest

Repaired SA-35 Range Report 04/10

wmg1299

Professional
My SA-35 went back to the factory because it was experiencing 3-5 failures to extract per magazine. The repair notes indicated that the extractor spring had been replaced. I took it to the range today, and the results were disappointing.

The SA-35 is no longer experiencing 3-5 FTE's per magazine. Unfortunately, in 7 magazines (105 total rounds fired) the SA-35 had 5 FTE's. The individual breakdown was: Mag 1 = 0 FTE; Mag 2: = 1 FTE, Mag 3 = 2 FTE; Mag 4 = 1 FTE; Mag 5 = 0 FTE; Mag 6 = 1 FTE; and Mag 7 = 0 FTE. While this is a considerable improvement in performance, 1 failure per every 21 rounds fired is not an acceptable ratio for a new gun from a respected manufacturer.

All of my magazines are new 15-round SA-35 magazines purchased directly from Springfield's website. I have rotated the magazines throughout my ownership of the pistol, and I have no reason to believe that the FTE's are due to any faulty mags.

I am open to advice about how to proceed. The gun has approximately 350 total rounds through it, but only 105 with the new extractor. Could today's FTE's be normal break-in issues? I am a dedicated Springfield fan, but I am concerned that multiple other companies have produced Browning Hi-Power designs for over 70 years without significant extractor issues before Springfield introduced the SA-35. Considering the current price of ammo I'm hesitant to go through 500 rounds in the hopes of the issue correcting itself. Should I send the pistol back to Springfield again, or give it a few more sessions?

I’m no expert. But my inclination is to give it one more chance, 100 rds, documenting everything.
Clean it good, and Lube it well just before the next session.
Don’t fill the mags completely.

If you get same or similar results proportionally as last time, call Springer again and see what a tech says…

The BHSS evaluations found that the extractor channel in the slide was incorrectly machined resulting in the slide serrations machined across that area producing burrs in the channel which interferred with the extractor function.

If SA didn't double-check that area then that was an over-sight.

Plus the BHSS evaluations found that the SA extractor had a smaller sized claw (that grabs on to the case rim) than the standard/original BHP extractor.

When BHSS replaced the extractor & cleaned up the channel area FTE's went away.

The BHSS evaluations found that the extractor channel in the slide was incorrectly machined resulting in the slide serrations machined across that area producing burrs in the channel which interferred with the extractor function.

If SA didn't double-check that area then that was an over-sight.

Plus the BHSS evaluations found that the SA extractor had a smaller sized claw (that grabs on to the case rim) than the standard/original BHP extractor.

When BHSS replaced the extractor & cleaned up the channel area FTE's went away.
I got my SA-35 back from BHSS and am thoroughly satisfied with the results. I took mine to the range last week and and put 12 mags through it. The mags, SA and Browning, were fully loaded and no issues were encountered.
1649697115444.png

Mike

I hesitate to get into this one because I don't have an SA to check out. That said, how does the chamber look? Rough or dull of finish or is it polished smooth? A little polish job might make the fired, expanded brass easier to extract so they're less likely to bind and the smaller extractor hook work better. A rough chamber collects more burned powder residue, too.
Shine it up like a mirror.

Well, that sucks. I'd give them a call. It may need more break-in, but more than a couple failures of any kind with initial testing in unacceptable. I'm assuming you are using a name brand ammo.
I used 115 gr. FMJ Federal Champion and Winchester White Box. They are definitely not top-shelf, but they are both name brand and both ran fine in the other guns I took to the range. I hate going through the trouble of sending guns back, especially having to make sure an adult is home to sign for the package on a weekday. Unfortunately, I may not have another option.

I hesitate to get into this one because I don't have an SA to check out. That said, how does the chamber look? Rough or dull of finish or is it polished smooth? A little polish job might make the fired, expanded brass easier to extract so they're less likely to bind and the smaller extractor hook work better. A rough chamber collects more burned powder residue, too.
Shine it up like a mirror.
The chamber appears to be well-polished. I feel a little guilty that I don't know if this is the original condition of the gun, or if Springfield polished everything after they received it for repair. I should've checked the original condition, but I completely overlooked it.

It might have a little stiction somewhere in the slide rails or a burr on the bolt face or something. I'd spend a quiet hour with a bright light, a magnifier and the field stripped pistol, then assemble the slide to the frame without the recoil spring (if that's not taboo) and see how it feels. Any catches at all I'd look for burrs or tool marks.
Owners can't do a whole lot but clearly some of these guns work perfectly. I have fixed a couple revolvers like this and now I value them more than if they had been good from the factory.

I used 115 gr. FMJ Federal Champion and Winchester White Box. They are definitely not top-shelf, but they are both name brand and both ran fine in the other guns I took to the range. I hate going through the trouble of sending guns back, especially having to make sure an adult is home to sign for the package on a weekday. Unfortunately, I may not have another option.
if you don't mind my asking, and by me reading your previous posting when you got this gun, what is the serial number, like the first 2 numbers..???

below 4,000?

mine as i mentioned in my post, is 66XX, with no problems, in fact, when i emailed S/A, for a build date, they responded with, 3/2022.......someone else posted his was 5,000, and he had no problems.

just curious, that's all.

i think another trip to the factory, "might" be what you'll have to do, sadly again.

if you don't mind my asking, and by me reading your previous posting when you got this gun, what is the serial number, like the first 2 numbers..???

below 4,000?

mine as i mentioned in my post, is 66XX, with no problems, in fact, when i emailed S/A, for a build date, they responded with, 3/2022.......someone else posted his was 5,000, and he had no problems.

just curious, that's all.

i think another trip to the factory, "might" be what you'll have to do, sadly again.
The serial number is 35XX. I'm not sure what the manufacture date was, but I ordered the gun almost immediately when it was announced. I'm going to try to stick to the traditional knowledge of never buying a new gun in the first year of production from now on.

Here's another thought. If the cost of shipping your gun back to SA is more than the cost of a HP extractor, get the extractor. Polish the slot before assembly and let 'er rip.
Springfield covers shipping. The only real inconvenience is making sure that someone is home during the day to sign for it upon return of the firearm. My wife and I both work a 9-5 schedule, so having someone at home waiting for a package can be a real headache.

The serial number is 35XX. I'm not sure what the manufacture date was, but I ordered the gun almost immediately when it was announced. I'm going to try to stick to the traditional knowledge of never buying a new gun in the first year of production from now on.
i am with you on NOT buying not only a new gun but any new item (like cars/trucks) , until it is proven, and that is "usually" at least 1 year.

however, i had seen very good youtube videos from the people that i trust, and they do not get the guns from the manufacturer, but if i recall, from Bud's Gun Shop, on loan, for the reviews, so in effect, "nothing is owed" the manufacturer for a good review.

frankly, i went against my grain when i put a deposit on mine, and thus far, it has worked out. i went along with so many here (and on other sites) that S/A will take care of the problem ASAP, as they do not wish to lose new or long time customers. (like many here, i have several S/A firearms)

so i put on my "confidence pants" and got mine.

only time will tell, (with more rounds) if the problem is truly cured, and if not, well, they offer a lifetime warranty.

but i am believing for the time being, that yes, the issue(s) have been addressed and taken care of on subsequent serial numbered 35's

Back