testtest

Return of the Cheetah

wmg1299

Professional
Beretta recently announced that they will be re-vamping the old .380 ACP Cheetah line of pistols. I've been wanting a Beretta 84 for years. Since a new Beretta wasn't an option, I picked up a Tisas Fatih 13 clone of the 84. The Tisas has been a great gun, and it made me want an original 84 even more.

While I was excited to learn about Beretta making a new Cheetah, I'm not too thrilled about the "X" design. The "X" series is similar to what Beretta did with the classic 92 models. Other than the inclusion of swappable sights, there were no features on the 92X guns that interested me. I worry that this will be the same with the 80X Cheetah. I loved the classic rounded lines of the original 92 and 84, and am lukewarm about the "Tacticool" look of the X models. I would have already out a deposit down on a re-released classic Beretta 84 Cheetah, but I may pass on the new 80X altogether.

What do you guys think? Do the new features of the 80X appeal to you? Am I being too hard on Beretta because I'm getting older and resistance to change?

Beretta recently announced that they will be re-vamping the old .380 ACP Cheetah line of pistols. I've been wanting a Beretta 84 for years. Since a new Beretta wasn't an option, I picked up a Tisas Fatih 13 clone of the 84. The Tisas has been a great gun, and it made me want an original 84 even more.

While I was excited to learn about Beretta making a new Cheetah, I'm not too thrilled about the "X" design. The "X" series is similar to what Beretta did with the classic 92 models. Other than the inclusion of swappable sights, there were no features on the 92X guns that interested me. I worry that this will be the same with the 80X Cheetah. I loved the classic rounded lines of the original 92 and 84, and am lukewarm about the "Tacticool" look of the X models. I would have already out a deposit down on a re-released classic Beretta 84 Cheetah, but I may pass on the new 80X altogether.

What do you guys think? Do the new features of the 80X appeal to you? Am I being too hard on Beretta because I'm getting older and resistance to change?

Wouldn't be too bad if it was a 9mm and they got rid of that ridiculous trigger.

Wouldn't be too bad if it was a 9mm and they got rid of that ridiculous trigger.
What's different about the trigger. Been a long time since I fired a beretta pistol but it seemed a fairly standard DA/SA trigger as I remember. I personally do not mind it, shot one for my carry pistol for 20 years in the Makarov.

Guess that's also why I like the 380, very close to the 9x18 I have used for 20 years.

Last edited:
What's different about the trigger. Been a long time since I fired a beretta pistol but it seemed a fairly standard DA/SA trigger as I remember. I personally do not mind it, shot one for my carry pistol for 20 years in the Makarov.
Look at that thing. It looks like a tongue or something. It seems to have a duplex trigger bow. It's more stupid looking than the HK triggers and that's saying something.

Guess that's also why I like the 380, very close to the 9x18 I have used for 20 years.
I got nothing at all against DA/SA triggers. Or decockers. I have 2 Makarov pistols ( Bulgarian 9x18 and Russian .380) and my EDC is P30L.

I have always liked the Beretta 84, even if it is a 380. I like my Beretta APX a lot. I think older folks like me who know a little about firearms and like the classics like the Cheetah, High Power, etc, would consider buying one...:)

There are some pretty wild new rounds out there that make a 380 a different unit.

Weight: 50gr
Velocity: 1500 FPS
Kinetic Energy: 250 FPE

• This bullet leaves the barrel at 1400 feet per second.
  • The muzzle energy of this ammo is 296 ft lbs.
  • This bullet leaves the barrel at 1300 feet per second.
  • The muzzle energy of this ammo is 255 ft lbs.
1673824911644.gif

There are some pretty wild new rounds out there that make a 380 a different unit.

Weight: 50gr
Velocity: 1500 FPS
Kinetic Energy: 250 FPE

• This bullet leaves the barrel at 1400 feet per second.
  • The muzzle energy of this ammo is 296 ft lbs.
  • This bullet leaves the barrel at 1300 feet per second.
  • The muzzle energy of this ammo is 255 ft lbs.
View attachment 35160
And they’re pure snake oil.

There’s a few JHP’s out there in .380 that will do the trick as far as expansion & proper penetration…

But I just run a flat nose FMJ in my P238.

Many moons ago, my wife had the cheetah in .380 with the tip up barrel, she didn’t keep it long, she just didn’t care for it once she got it home and had a few range times with it.

Back