testtest

RIA 1911 - guide rod ques.

TidalWave

Professional
Apologies if this ought to be in the Lounge, but anyway:

I have a Rock Island 1911 ( model is 51431 I think ), and it has a full length guide rod. I prefer the GI guide setup (unless someone knows a definite/decided advantage for full length?).
My ques is: keeping the existing recoil spring, is there anything to do other than order a GI guide and a solid cover recoil spring cap ?

No expert here, but I think that should work fine, full length guide rods are fine, I never gave them much thought.

Apologies if this ought to be in the Lounge, but anyway:

I have a Rock Island 1911 ( model is 51431 I think ), and it has a full length guide rod. I prefer the GI guide setup (unless someone knows a definite/decided advantage for full length?).
My ques is: keeping the existing recoil spring, is there anything to do other than order a GI guide and a solid cover recoil spring cap ?
No there isn't. Go for it.

They (springs) should be replaced about every 5000 or so. How many rounds does it have? They're not too expensive I'd do the whole 9 yards
Nowhere close to 5k - But I will remember that and Thanks !

guide rod is no biggie, but I’ve never seen or read any advantage to full length except maybe a bit of weight. I do like taking the slide off in one piece for disassembly. A bit easier with the GI guide.

I have a full size guide rod in my 9mm RO Target which I switch out every now and then, and to use car parlance my “butt dyno” tells me there is a difference. I don’t shoot differently with one or the other, but I prefer the feel of the full length guide rod. However, I definitely prefer the classic look of the GI guide rod. It’s not expensive and it’s worth checking out.

Back