testtest

RMSc for carry

Head

Alpha
Does anyone have any extended experience with the RMSc as a concealed carry optic? I have read great things and not so great i.e. lense scratching. I carry every day both on and off duty and want an optic that I can depend on in the real world.....not just the range.

Does anyone have any extended experience with the RMSc as a concealed carry optic? I have read great things and not so great i.e. lense scratching. I carry every day both on and off duty and want an optic that I can depend on in the real world.....not just the range.
Fyi this is to be mounted on my Hellcat OSP which is carried daily in a Tier One Concealment appendix holster while off duty, and/or in a 3 o'clock strong side holster for court/administrative duties.

I have had one on my Hellcat since I purchased it back in February. It makes for a very accurate and quick to shoot handgun. The RMSc has been reliable through over 1,000 rounds and did not lose zero. I use it in OWB holster because I find it more comfortable and a T-shirt is enough to hide it.

I have one on a range gun. Vortex Venom. If I was putting one on a carry gun I’d make sure it was a really good one like a DeltaPointPro. Personally I don’t like the idea of them on my carry gun. For one thing I’m not used to it enough for it to be faster. So I highly suggest spending a lot of time training with it first. And for another thing most likely in a SD situation you’re probably not going to have enough time to even worry about sights.

The RMSc is a metal body and well made unit. The ones Bassbob listed are too large for a Hellcat. If you were going to go oversize you might as well for for an RMR Type 2. The RMSc is small and conceals easily in both IWB and OWB. There are other options but you will need to modify your slide for some of them to work. I have also use a Sig Romeo Zero and it works well too but is an all polymer construction. The RMSc can be had with a glass lens or you can send it to Shield and they will replace the polymer lens with a glass lens for around $70.

The RMSc is a metal body and well made unit. The ones Bassbob listed are too large for a Hellcat. If you were going to go oversize you might as well for for an RMR Type 2. The RMSc is small and conceals easily in both IWB and OWB. There are other options but you will need to modify your slide for some of them to work. I have also use a Sig Romeo Zero and it works well too but is an all polymer construction. The RMSc can be had with a glass lens or you can send it to Shield and they will replace the polymer lens with a glass lens for around $70.

My apologies gents. I misunderstood and thought the OP was referring to RDMS in general.

You can go with a Foxswamp Sentinel which is all aluminum and has a glass optic BUT...........you can't co-witness with it like the Romeo Zero and the RMSc & SMSc from Shield. I wish someone would make one with what we want.

Aluminum frame.
Glass Optic.
Co-Witness Able.

My RZ has not scratched and is great but it is not able to withstand a drop and it will scratch easily if it contacts something. I have the SwampFox too but not co-witnessing kind of sucks! I haven't mounted it yet but I already know it won't pick up the rear sight of the Hellcat!

It's a matter of picking your poison. Poly lenses will scratch more easily and glass lenses will shatter more easily. While I haven't yet seen any drop tests on MRDs with polymer lenses I have seen numerous drop tests where the glass lens shatters. You can always upgrade later if need be.

I have a Shield RMSc for sale for $350 via PayPal. It is in like new condition and I include the screws for Hellcat mounting.

Fyi this is to be mounted on my Hellcat OSP which is carried daily in a Tier One Concealment appendix holster while off duty, and/or in a 3 o'clock strong side holster for court/administrative duties.
Reviving the dead by a few months here but I've had my RMSC mounted on my hellcat for 6 months now. It rides in a stealth gear appendix holster.

I can't say that I would recommend the RMSc, it definitely has developed some haloing in the center of the glass. Sort of creates a blurred effect in the center of the optic, really bugs the sh!t of me to be honest. It was never touched except by my fingers (which weren't dirty) during either holstering or holster manipulation. It has been a daily carry and has several hundred rounds through it, but my RMRs have seen a crapload more abuse and their glass is perfect.

If you've ever worn glasses you know that polymer lenses mar and lose their clear view over time. It keeps you buying replacements. :). It seems very difficult to obtain real glass eyewear that would last much longer and be more scratch resistant. I am surprised given the newer glass made by Corning that no lens maker has offered it for eyewear. The newest glass being used in iPhone 12 would seem the ideal candidate.

For me, having had cataracts, I recently bit the bullet and had cataract surgery with implanted Bosch + Lomb Crystalens so no more glasses to keep trying to clean (I may still need cheap cheaters for very close work, I won't know for a while as they just finished my second eye. Overall I am very impressed. Once the new eye settles in I can't wait to try them out at the range. :)

If you haven't tried it, get qtips, some rubbing alcohol and a can of canned air. Blow some canned air on both sides of the lens. Then dip the qtip in the alcohol and do circles lightly around the lens. Flip the qtip and with the dry end, do the same getting off as much residual alcohol as possible. Next, turn your gun upside down and spray the lens with canned air to dry it and blow anything left overs off the lens. Do the same to the other side of the lens. Then spray the actual LED at the base of the optic with canned air to blow away any dust or lint accumulated there. It will not scratch the lens regardless if it's polymer or glass. My Romeo Zero's polymer lens is very clear and scratch free using this cleaning method. It is how Sig wants their optics cleaned.

You can go with a Foxswamp Sentinel which is all aluminum and has a glass optic BUT...........you can't co-witness with it like the Romeo Zero and the RMSc & SMSc from Shield. I wish someone would make one with what we want.

Aluminum frame.
Glass Optic.
Co-Witness Able.

My RZ has not scratched and is great but it is not able to withstand a drop and it will scratch easily if it contacts something. I have the SwampFox too but not co-witnessing kind of sucks! I haven't mounted it yet but I already know it won't pick up the rear sight of the Hellcat!
Co-witnessing is for rifles, on a pistol it’s a crutch, IMO. I have a DPP on my P320 X5 Legion and I have silencer height sights, but I never look for the iron sights. I know that where that red dot goes, so goes the bullet. I also don’t buy the if it breaks you want your sights as a back-up song either. It’s just another one of those broad brush non-sequitors. If I’m in my home I don’t need a sight to hit the moron who made the bad choice of breaking in. If I’m on the street same and if the guy is more than 10 yds away I’m probably legging it. I bet I can buy myself time sending 17 rounds downrange at the bad guy - sight or none.

If you haven't tried it, get qtips, some rubbing alcohol and a can of canned air. Blow some canned air on both sides of the lens. Then dip the qtip in the alcohol and do circles lightly around the lens. Flip the qtip and with the dry end, do the same getting off as much residual alcohol as possible. Next, turn your gun upside down and spray the lens with canned air to dry it and blow anything left overs off the lens. Do the same to the other side of the lens. Then spray the actual LED at the base of the optic with canned air to blow away any dust or lint accumulated there. It will not scratch the lens regardless if it's polymer or glass. My Romeo Zero's polymer lens is very clear and scratch free using this cleaning method. It is how Sig wants their optics cleaned.

Both of my Sig Romeo 5s came with a little cloth for cleaning the lens. I keep the bikin covers on them and haven't had a reason to clean them yet though.

Co-witnessing is for rifles, on a pistol it’s a crutch, IMO. I have a DPP on my P320 X5 Legion and I have silencer height sights, but I never look for the iron sights. I know that where that red dot goes, so goes the bullet. I also don’t buy the if it breaks you want your sights as a back-up song either. It’s just another one of those broad brush non-sequitors. If I’m in my home I don’t need a sight to hit the moron who made the bad choice of breaking in. If I’m on the street same and if the guy is more than 10 yds away I’m probably legging it. I bet I can buy myself time sending 17 rounds downrange at the bad guy - sight or none.

I'd prefer to co-witness even on a pistol. It's my only gripe about my Walther Q5. The red dot replaces the rear sight. So effectively I have only the red dot if I want to be accurate with my shots.

Co witnessing is not for me and of course what anyone else does is totally their prerogative. That being said, I think a lot of new RDS owners concern themselves too much on whether they should be co-witnessing (I certainly did) rather than enjoying and becoming proficient with their new addition. I love red dots (and particularly green dots) because my eyes are at that age where focusing on a front sight doesn’t really get the job done for me beyond 15 yards and I’ve already made that transition to a red dot being a must have on future pistol buys. Of course this is becoming easier as more pistols are coming optic ready.

Although I don’t worry about co-witnessing, I do think the evolution of reflex sights should be to somehow incorporate a rear site capability - and not one like Leupold’s crappy $72 rear sight add-on. I got suckered on that and ended up swapping to an $8 3D printed sight that does the job a hundred times better. I’d also like to see optics ready pistols not delete the ability to have a rear sight on the slide. To install an optic on my X5 Legion required removing the cover plate which held the rear sights.

Back