testtest

Romeo Zero on Hellcat (Zeroing Issues)

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Recently I was able to acquire a new Springfield Hellcat OSP a few days ago and absolutely love it. I also picked up a Sig Romeo Zero while I was there. To mount it, I used the screws that came with the sight (didn't grind them), and went to a local hardware store to find tiny tiny 4mm washers. I'm happy to say after a few rounds and re-tightening the screws, I was able to secure the optic nicely to the Hellcat. It looks so damn sexy btw. I'm very happy with the look and overall fit and finish of the Sig Romeo Zero.

However, when it came to zeroing it, I've found that I can't seem to raise the shot any higher. I've got a consistent group @ 10 yards that hits about 5" lower than point of aim. It seems like I've hit the mechanical limit for adjusting the elevation of the RZ. I did this from a supported position. My sight picture was keeping the dot in the middle of the glass for the shot.

Am I missing something here? Sight picture? Slave the dot? I've done a lot of researching and I can't seem to find anybody else that has this problem so I'm starting to think its me somehow. Am I doing something wrong?

I do have an intermediate shooting background. Former Army National Guard with a Combat deployment to Afghanistan in 09. I've shot iron sights on pistols for a long time. I'm open to the criticism for the help. I'm using the Hellcat as an EDC, BTW

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Recently I was able to acquire a new Springfield Hellcat OSP a few days ago and absolutely love it. I also picked up a Sig Romeo Zero while I was there. To mount it, I used the screws that came with the sight (didn't grind them), and went to a local hardware store to find tiny tiny 4mm washers. I'm happy to say after a few rounds and re-tightening the screws, I was able to secure the optic nicely to the Hellcat. It looks so **** sexy btw. I'm very happy with the look and overall fit and finish of the Sig Romeo Zero.

However, when it came to zeroing it, I've found that I can't seem to raise the shot any higher. I've got a consistent group @ 10 yards that hits about 5" lower than point of aim. It seems like I've hit the mechanical limit for adjusting the elevation of the RZ. I did this from a supported position. My sight picture was keeping the dot in the middle of the glass for the shot.

Am I missing something here? Sight picture? Slave the dot? I've done a lot of researching and I can't seem to find anybody else that has this problem so I'm starting to think its me somehow. Am I doing something wrong?

I do have an intermediate shooting background. Former Army National Guard with a Combat deployment to Afghanistan in 09. I've shot iron sights on pistols for a long time. I'm open to the criticism for the help. I'm using the Hellcat as an EDC, BTW
Welcome to posting first time mandofresh. I don't think anyone is going to criticize you for a valid question, and I'm somewhat interested in this topic as well. I have a Romeo Zero on back order from Optics Planet. Although I don't intend to mount it on the Hellcat (bought the non OSP version 🤦‍♂️), I do plan on mounting it on the Sig P365 XL pistol I recently bought (and who know, maybe on the Hellcat OSP if/when I buy that version of pistol). I hope I don't experience your issues, but, if I do, It would be interesting to see if other have that same problem and a resolution to it. Let's cross our fingers 🤞and hope someone can help.

Sorry I can't be of any help either. I've never had anything but regular sights on a pistol. With the way my eyes are getting that may be a possibility in the near future though.

Thanks for asking this subject because I also am interested.

By the way , welcome to the forum.

Okay so from what I’ve been told when it comes to zeroing these sites. Easiest way is to use a bore sight laser @ 15 yards use a secure surface. And try to keep barrel level. The sights should come with a small dial that you can you use to make adjustments easier. I hope this helps.

I would remove the sight, Get screws of proper length ie no longer than .095 below base and retry the fit. As I posted before Hellcat manual states max.095'' protruding screw length so as to not bottom out in slide. Might be worth a try.

As stated use proper screws with proper torque. Are your shooting off a bench? I’m not familiar with this specific sight, are you saying the elevation is “maxed out”?

Put the Romeo Zero on my Hellcat and the supplied screws are too long... modified a couple of M-4 screws to attached the sight.... the optic when tightened down tips to the rear slightly raising the front of the optic... this resulting in having to bottom the dot to get near the top of front post when aimed for proper round impact at the top of front post. Added a .87mm (0.030”) shim under the rear of the sight allowed me to get the red dot back to the center of the glass so that some adjustments can be made for point of impact. Taking it to the range tomorrow to test it out. With the shim the screws that come with the sight can be used without shortening them any... check the thickness of the washers you used with your screws as they may be to thick.

I just got notice that my Sig Zero was available, before ordering can you tell me if iron sights can be seen thru cut out in the optic.
I still have option to buy the Shield SMSC, it’s a hundred bucks more but is designed for hellcat, with no modifications. Thank you for your post.

I just got notice that my Sig Zero was available, before ordering can you tell me if iron sights can be seen thru cut out in the optic.
I still have option to buy the Shield SMSC, it’s a hundred bucks more but is designed for hellcat, with no modifications. Thank you for your post.
The front post is about 75% obscured. You can still see a little bit of the top of the front post when you have it level with the top of the rear sight. OK for slow precision shots, but if the optic failed it would take practice to rapidly acquire the iron site alignment for longer shots under pressure.

Ok GaryC, Thanks for the information. I really like the iron sights on the Hellcat and also like the red dot. I think your post will push me towards the Springfield sold Shield model. Im shooting a red dot on my M&P Shield now and love it, but no iron sights as it is mounted on rear sight wedge. Thanks again for rapid response, Good Shootin, stay safe.

Ok GaryC, Thanks for the information. I really like the iron sights on the Hellcat and also like the red dot. I think your post will push me towards the Springfield sold Shield model. Im shooting a red dot on my M&P Shield now and love it, but no iron sights as it is mounted on rear sight wedge. Thanks again for rapid response, Good Shootin, stay safe.
Took my zero to the range today... was able to get it centered, but the elevation didn’t work. No matter much you adjusted it, the point of impact didn’t change. I called Sig Sauer customer service and they readily agreed to email a return shipping tag and will be either repairing or sending a new optic to me. You can’t find fault with the company as they are always responsive and no one can produce a product that is 100% reliable. Murphy’s law is alive and well.

I am don't know a thing about that Romeo zero from sig. But that HELLCAT is one hell of a tuff pistol compact but it has firepower with 13 round mags and its rated as one of the best pistols on the market today. My Son loves his and he won't part with it he is a Big Fan of Sig, but he opts to carry the Hell Cat for his Primary EDC Pistol. Here are two reviews of the Springfield Hell Cat Pistol from two people I respect for their knowledge.
Springfield Armory Hellcat Micro Compact Pistol Review
Springfield Armory Hellcat

I don't know anything about the Hellcat, but I do have a Romeo 5 Compact 3 MOA on my Kel Tec KSG25. I have no problems with it.

The same Chinese company that makes Holosun makes the Romeo, in the same factory. And I don't know much about red dots but I do know that while my Vortex Venom has performed exactly as advertised, there are plenty of people who got bad ones.

I'm sure Sig will make it right if it's an issue with the optic.

Put the Romeo Zero on my Hellcat and the supplied screws are too long... modified a couple of M-4 screws to attached the sight.... the optic when tightened down tips to the rear slightly raising the front of the optic... this resulting in having to bottom the dot to get near the top of front post when aimed for proper round impact at the top of front post. Added a .87mm (0.030”) shim under the rear of the sight allowed me to get the red dot back to the center of the glass so that some adjustments can be made for point of impact. Taking it to the range tomorrow to test it out. With the shim the screws that come with the sight can be used without shortening them any... check the thickness of the washers you used with your screws as they may be to thick.

Where did you get the shim? My Sig RZ didn't come with one...?

Took my zero to the range today... was able to get it centered, but the elevation didn’t work. No matter much you adjusted it, the point of impact didn’t change. I called Sig Sauer customer service and they readily agreed to email a return shipping tag and will be either repairing or sending a new optic to me. You can’t find fault with the company as they are always responsive and no one can produce a product that is 100% reliable. Murphy’s law is alive and well.

Okay, so I see that You've got the same problem as I did. I wasn't able to raise the point of impact either. No matter what I did. Looks like I'll have to return mine...or perhaps trade it back into the gun store for the RMSc that it recommends.

Does anybody out there have the Holosun 507K on theirs? It has the same footprint as the RMSc and is apparently 100% more durable. I've seen some torture test reviews on youtube, and it would seem the RMSc won't survive a drop on the optic from shoulder height.

I had the same issue with the Romeo Zero on my Hellcat. I was probably 5" low at 20 ft and couldn't adjust it any further. Also, I was not crazy about the sight since it obscured the front sight about 60% when installed. I couldn't find any pictures of the Romeo Zero installed on a Hellcat and took a chance from the beginning that it would be close to the sight picture I have seen with the Shield sight. Not the case! I had to hold high to see the front sight with the Romeo Zero.
RomeoOff.jpg

So, I called Sig and they sent me a label and I returned the sight. Meanwhile, I decided I had no idea how long it would take to warranty the Sig, so I contacted Shield and didn't have high hopes since all US distributors are back ordered for who knows how far into the future.

Shield returned my email the next day. I inquired about the SMSc and the RMSc, but have seen almost no talk about the SMSc on the internet forums or reviews. They said they had the SMSc red dot's in stock. So, I proceeded to order 2 of them (My son will be home on leave in the next month or so and he's talking about getting the Hellcat too) so that my son could have one if it all worked out.

Low and behold, I got tracking info back in a few days of the order. Yesterday when the mail came, I had both the replacement Romeo and the 2 new Shield SMSc sights. :D Like a kid in a candy store!

I mounted the Shield on the gun and it fit nearly perfectly aligned without touching it, and the best part, you can see the full sight picture with the SMSc sight just like they said it should be identical when the replied to the original email.

Here are a few pictures of the Shield SMSc.
Shield_Rear.jpg
Shield_TopL.jpg
Shield_Top.jpg

Right away, I noticed a few things that were much better in my engineering opinion.
  1. The screws are nice large button head type screw to apply the pressure over a much larger area than the SIG flat head screw that is countersunk into the plastic body. (Don't over tighten, or you may break the plastic on the SIG)
  2. Wider sight picture with the Shield
  3. Cleaner from a construction perspective. (The original Romeo Zero has some haziness around the permimiter due to adhesive) To be fair, the replacement looks much cleaner, but I didn't want to open the new package and put it straight onto eBay to recoupe my money on that one.
Hands down, I would go onto the Shield website and buy the this one over the RZ today and get it for much less than you can buy the RZ on eBay. My total for the two came to about $275 each direct from Shield. Worked out great with the exchange rate and less than the advertised prices the dealers have them listed for with back orders.

Hope this helps a few others with the Hellcat.

mandofresh, there may some issue with the actual fitment to the Hellcat as far as the elevation. Reason I say that is I bought an SMSc for my Hellcat and it came included with a small tapered shim and instructions that if elevation was a problem to utilyse the shim in either direction to compensate. Fortunately I didn't need it on my install and was able to set the dot right on top of the front sight using a chambered laser @ 10-12 yards.

regards,
jumpinjoe

Back