testtest

Ronin Fixed Rear Sight a tad Loose

Jfal

Professional
Guys, My 10mm Ronin is about a year old, 1500 rounds +, ...the rear sight is normally drifted in place and stays put. I can push mine back and forth about 1/2cm with my fingers. I was wondering why I couldn't hit anything last week.

I see the port on the top of the sight has female threads, but it is not an adjustable fixture. The sight block should not be moveable with my fingers (imagine what it does with each cycle of firing). Don't tell me to superglue it, but is there something I can do to keep it from moving? The sights were never drifted on purpose with a pusher or punch...not sure how it got loose other than normal firing. Is that threaded hole a pin of sorts for applying pressure to hold the block in place? Can't imagine it, but I've been surprised before.

There is nothing in the manual on the rear sight or drifting, or firming up the sight in place...

Thus far, front sight FO rod keeps breaking, rear sight is now loose...not having good luck with my sights on this one.

Tried to upload a pic but got impatient after 15 minutes waiting for the file to get from my phone to my mac...let me know if a pic of the rear sight block would help.

Guys, My 10mm Ronin is about a year old, 1500 rounds +, ...the rear sight is normally drifted in place and stays put. I can push mine back and forth about 1/2cm with my fingers. I was wondering why I couldn't hit anything last week.

I see the port on the top of the sight has female threads, but it is not an adjustable fixture. The sight block should not be moveable with my fingers (imagine what it does with each cycle of firing). Don't tell me to superglue it, but is there something I can do to keep it from moving? The sights were never drifted on purpose with a pusher or punch...not sure how it got loose other than normal firing. Is that threaded hole a pin of sorts for applying pressure to hold the block in place? Can't imagine it, but I've been surprised before.

There is nothing in the manual on the rear sight or drifting, or firming up the sight in place...

Thus far, front sight FO rod keeps breaking, rear sight is now loose...not having good luck with my sights on this one.

Tried to upload a pic but got impatient after 15 minutes waiting for the file to get from my phone to my mac...let me know if a pic of the rear sight block would help.
i had to conjure up a 10mm Ronin..

maybe that "port" on top of the rear sight is for a lock screw?????

if so, maybe it fell out??

you can try the local hardware store to buy one that fits???

or contact S/A for a couple of them..???

yuuup

it's a set screw...

i got a .45 Ronin, that's what's up in the rear sight, an allen set screw.

Last edited:

Call Springfield Armory customer service and send it back for them to fix.

Yeah, I have no idea if there ever was a set screw in that threaded port...the owners manual has no set screws holding down any rear sight blocks on any models (they all share the same OM I think for 1911)...the Ronin has the rear sight similar to a Loaded or Micro Compact in the drawing, thus I did not think there was anything missing. I would be shocked as hell if it had a set screw and that screw did not show up on the parts list.

Everything I could find online with loose rear sights required sending the slide back to the factory for them to fix. Great.

Yeah, I have no idea if there ever was a set screw in that threaded port...the owners manual has no set screws holding down any rear sight blocks on any models (they all share the same OM I think for 1911)...the Ronin has the rear sight similar to a Loaded or Micro Compact in the drawing, thus I did not think there was anything missing. I would be shocked as hell if it had a set screw and that screw did not show up on the parts list.

Everything I could find online with loose rear sights required sending the slide back to the factory for them to fix. Great.
all i can say and attest to, is that MY Ronin .45 ACP, has the same rear sight as your 10mm does. (at least looking at the pics of a 10mm Ronin)

you have at least 2 options,

option 1, call S/A and ask them, if it does have a set screw, ask that they send you a couple. then, adjust your sight, and i'd say, use a tiny bit of BLUE Loctite on the set screw?

option 2, call S/A and if they want the gun back? then you have to send it back.

option 1 (for me) would be the best, as it's quicker than liquor.

Well, there would be absolutely no reason for a manufacturer to go to the trouble of drilling and tapping a hole like this if it wasn't supposed to have a screw in it...but I'm 90% sure it never had from day one...

Attachments

• Sight Block.jpg
    Sight Block.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
Well, there would be absolutely no reason for a manufacturer to go to the trouble of drilling and tapping a hole like this if it wasn't supposed to have a screw in it...but I'm 90% sure it never had from day one...
unless you are 100% cure, then it had one.

so..... a couple of things...

( you have a great camera, by the way, mine would be very blurred...)

first, but anyways...vibration, can loosen anything.

i have a CZ 97 B, and there is a "loaded chamber indicator" pin that sits in a small "block" on to of the slide. the allen screw is as small as a Gnats scrotum.....it falls out due to vibrations. i had to use Blue Locktite to keep it in place, THEN i put a small piece of black electrical tape over that, to ensure the screw stays in place.

second, as normal, thru the assembly line process, it just could have been not installed.

third, have yo checked the box the gun came in? it could be in there, tucked away in a corner, it is after all, very small.

as i said, mine has the set screw, it IS a Ronin.....

a website picture, of the CZ 97 B loaded chamber indicator pin....trust me, that allen screw DOES work itself loose....

1652013024910.png

unless you are 100% cure, then it had one.

so..... a couple of things...

( you have a great camera, by the way, mine would be very blurred...)

first, but anyways...vibration, can loosen anything.

i have a CZ 97 B, and there is a "loaded chamber indicator" pin that sits in a small "block" on to of the slide. the allen screw is as small as a Gnats scrotum.....it falls out due to vibrations. i had to use Blue Locktite to keep it in place, THEN i put a small piece of black electrical tape over that, to ensure the screw stays in place.

second, as normal, thru the assembly line process, it just could have been not installed.

third, have yo checked the box the gun came in? it could be in there, tucked away in a corner, it is after all, very small.

as i said, mine has the set screw, it IS a Ronin.....

a website picture, of the CZ 97 B loaded chamber indicator pin....trust me, that allen screw DOES work itself loose....

View attachment 27215
It is certainly possible it had a set screw that came loose and I never saw it fly out. It came in the normal Ronin gun bag inside the original box, the box is long gone, I use the bag every day and store the gun inside it when not in use....any loose screws would have fallen out of that long ago. I'll call Springfield tomorrow.

My cam is an old iPhone 7...that my employer owns...

Called SA today as advised initially by Keystone, thank you, the OM is not correct for the Ronin...it (the Ronin) DOES have a set screw holding the rear sight block in place, and mine is missing. They are sending me a set screw no-charge. I explained that it may have been there when I bought the pistol, she said, "we should have had it tight enough not to fall out on you". Can't beat that.

I'm pissed at myself for not noticing. I'll put a dab of white on the new one so it's more conspicuous...you need a light and magnification to see it...(with my old eyes).

Called SA today as advised initially by Keystone, thank you, the OM is not correct for the Ronin...it (the Ronin) DOES have a set screw holding the rear sight block in place, and mine is missing. They are sending me a set screw no-charge. I explained that it may have been there when I bought the pistol, she said, "we should have had it tight enough not to fall out on you". Can't beat that.

I'm pissed at myself for not noticing. I'll put a dab of white on the new one so it's more conspicuous...you need a light and magnification to see it...(with my old eyes).
I’m glad that worked out for you, a set screw that small is definitely difficult to see and having it fall out while shooting would be impossible to notice during the violent action of the slide when shooting the gun.

Back