testtest

Ronin owners: best holsters ??

TidalWave

Professional
I guess this section is the best place to ask…
A number of us have Spgfld Ronins since they came out in 2020. Mine is approx 14-15 mo old now. Full size, in .45…
Looking for advice on a holster, preferably from those with the same model as mine. What did you get??

Thanks in advance!
T Wave

A number of us have Spgfld Ronins since they came out in 2020. Mine is approx 14-15 mo old now. Full size, in .45…
Looking for advice on a holster, preferably from those with the same model as mine. What did you get??

Thanks in advance!
T Wave
The Ronin is the same as any full size 1911 pistol, so any holster that fits a full size will work for your Ronin, this is what I use for my 1911’s

DeSantis Mini Slide Holster​

The Ronin is the same as any full size 1911 pistol, so any holster that fits a full size will work for your Ronin, this is what I use for my 1911’s

DeSantis Mini Slide Holster​

Thanks much! Just took a glance at Desantis website. It’s one I hadn’t checked yet.
There are indeed multiple options, and my choice would be easier if there weren’t. Thought I’d see if there was a make most 1911 users leaned towards, and what Ronin owners think looks good.
On the flip side, most of the newer holster makers seem fixated on the broader plastic fantastic arena. I’ll consider plastic if it’s lined or whatever but don’t want anything scratching my baby up.

Thanks much! Just took a glance at Desantis website. It’s one I hadn’t checked yet.
There are indeed multiple options, and my choice would be easier if there weren’t. Thought I’d see if there was a make most 1911 users leaned towards, and what Ronin owners think looks good.
On the flip side, most of the newer holster makers seem fixated on the broader plastic fantastic arena. I’ll consider plastic if it’s lined or whatever but don’t want anything scratching my baby up.
Yea, thanks m not a fan of polymer or nylon holsters myself, I lean towards leather all the time, also check out Galco.

Thanks in advance!
T Wave

I went with 1791 Gun Leather OWB. They have retention options but I went with non retention. Their Signature Brown compliments the grips very nicely.

I couldn't even imagine going kydex with mine, just was not an option for the Ronin.

Tucker Gunleather in Houston makes a superb leather holster, I have several and their quality is such that I have purchased several over the years as gifts for retiring officers. I became acquainted with Tucker holsters years ago on recommendation of Texas Ranger friends. You will have to wait a while though, they are backed up on orders.

Tucker Gunleather in Houston makes a superb leather holster, I have several and their quality is such that I have purchased several over the years as gifts for retiring officers. I became acquainted with Tucker holsters years ago on recommendation of Texas Ranger friends. You will have to wait a while though, they are backed up on orders.
I have a Tucker and it's first rate, purty too.

I also have several from Rudy Lozanos Black Hills Leather. Very nice to work with and they even cut down several Redhawk holsters to fit my custom 4.5 in her, this was years before Ruger made a 4 inch version.

It was the Signature Brown or Vintage... spent like 3 hours trying to figure it out lol.
@Deuce : my 1791 in Signature Brn arrived today ; you were major correct- it looks sharp ! I may have to invest in the Vintage also. Got more than one 1911; why not? I can always blame you… :)
The form fits very well on the hip, and those two belt slots on the one side makes excellent crossdraw carry.
Ques: did u follow their instructions for break in? It is quite tight and will take some wear to be useful. I don’t see anything about treating it periodically with anything either..

@Deuce : my 1791 in Signature Brn arrived today ; you were major correct- it looks sharp ! I may have to invest in the Vintage also. Got more than one 1911; why not? I can always blame you… :)
The form fits very well on the hip, and those two belt slots on the one side makes excellent crossdraw carry.
Ques: did u follow their instructions for break in? It is quite tight and will take some wear to be useful. I don’t see anything about treating it periodically with anything either..

Definitely follow their instructions. the holster is incredibly tight at first. i spent a few days just letting it sit in the holster in a thick ziploc bag and giving it the wiggles back and forth. After like 3 days it was good enough to start wearing for further break in. I haven't treated it with anything, let me know if you do because if I had to find one thing to complain about, it's that the dye rubs on the outside of the trigger guard and the lower part of frame under the barrel. Turns it reddish. It's easily cleaned and removed with a dab of CLP, but it bothers me.

Definitely follow their instructions. the holster is incredibly tight at first. i spent a few days just letting it sit in the holster in a thick ziploc bag and giving it the wiggles back and forth. After like 3 days it was good enough to start wearing for further break in. I haven't treated it with anything, let me know if you do because if I had to find one thing to complain about, it's that the dye rubs on the outside of the trigger guard and the lower part of frame under the barrel. Turns it reddish. It's easily cleaned and removed with a dab of CLP, but it bothers me.
You’re correct about it being tight - but after just 20min using the freezer bag, there was a noticeable difference. (Took it out of the bag just for a couple pics). Overnight might do it for mine.
As you can see I went with the thumb strap retention on the Signature Brown. Was momentarily alarmed when the stiff retention kept causing thumb safety to go down to the Off position! That is correcting itself now thankfully. Plan to go open top with the Vintage (next payday however!)…
Far as the stain:
Bought some Ballistol wipes a while back I haven’t tried yet and noticed they have multiple uses incl leather cleaning (but with a caution). I may try a discreet dab somewhere like inside part of the thumb strap to see what it does. If it doesn’t cause the stain to bleed off, it might be a solution. Definitely the Ballistol shouldn’t hurt the Ronin.
Wonder if old fashioned saddle soap might work - but it might affect the shape or service of it holding securely…
Guess I’ll check 1791 website, see if they say anything.

Attachments

• 0DFAAAE6-C0E4-4420-9DCE-0868ACF42D86.jpeg
    0DFAAAE6-C0E4-4420-9DCE-0868ACF42D86.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 114
  • B6A69755-B874-49F8-AF85-EE9B8FD18B30.jpeg
    B6A69755-B874-49F8-AF85-EE9B8FD18B30.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 112
  • 7AB6D286-3BB5-45EF-BA3E-30039A837B47.jpeg
    7AB6D286-3BB5-45EF-BA3E-30039A837B47.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 107
  • E547BEB0-28BB-48A6-B5B8-62911D4AFA5E.jpeg
    E547BEB0-28BB-48A6-B5B8-62911D4AFA5E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 115
  • AC6EFD2A-65EB-447B-AAF1-D9459A6E120F.jpeg
    AC6EFD2A-65EB-447B-AAF1-D9459A6E120F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 103
You’re correct about it being tight - but after just 20min using the freezer bag, there was a noticeable difference. (Took it out of the bag just for a couple pics). Overnight might do it for mine.
As you can see I went with the thumb strap retention on the Signature Brown. Was momentarily alarmed when the stiff retention kept causing thumb safety to go down to the Off position! That is correcting itself now thankfully. Plan to go open top with the Vintage (next payday however!)…
Far as the stain:
Bought some Ballistol wipes a while back I haven’t tried yet and noticed they have multiple uses incl leather cleaning (but with a caution). I may try a discreet dab somewhere like inside part of the thumb strap to see what it does. If it doesn’t cause the stain to bleed off, it might be a solution. Definitely the Ballistol shouldn’t hurt the Ronin.
Wonder if old fashioned saddle soap might work - but it might affect the shape or service of it holding securely…
Guess I’ll check 1791 website, see if they say anything.

I read alot about that issue with the retention strap moving the manual safety to off, was one of the deciding factors for me getting the open top one.

I read alot about that issue with the retention strap moving the manual safety to off, was one of the deciding factors for me getting the open top one.
Mine is still interfering with the safety as i worked with it this morning… but still getting better also.
Fortunately the grip safety isn’t affected. The risk, then, is mainly in the unholstering and holstering back. I dunno; may have to stick with the non-strap Vintage for most purposes. We’ll see…

Mine is still interfering with the safety as i worked with it this morning… but still getting better also.
Fortunately the grip safety isn’t affected. The risk, then, is mainly in the unholstering and holstering back. I dunno; may have to stick with the non-strap Vintage for most purposes. We’ll see…
You can always return it. They will take it back no problem.

Deuce - I just now pulled the Ronin in its freezer bag out of the 1791, and felt down inside the holster.
Sure enough, got some red.
I took an old but clean dishcloth, rinsed in hot water wrung it out good and let it cool a bit.
worked it into the trigger guard slot and it came out really red. Ran it down the rest of the inside like you might clean out the mag well of a 1911 frame with an oily rag. See pic.
NOT a wet cloth- just damp.
I think some of the reason its that way is from being sealed in a plastic wrapper a long time, on a hot tranport truck, etc etc.
but the stuff seems to come out.

Attachments

• 1123BF07-24CE-451B-9E43-04E25FBBD1C0.jpeg
    1123BF07-24CE-451B-9E43-04E25FBBD1C0.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 106
Back