testtest

SA-35 Review

SinisterKid76

Operator
Did any of you catch Garand Thumb's SA-35 review on YouTube today? He talked about it having extractor issues after 800 rounds so SA sent him another one and it had issues as well.
He talked about them both being triple digit serial numbers and one of his followers has a triple digit serial number pistol with the same problem.
Could this be an early production issue? I'm really wanting one but curious about this.
Any one on here have one? If so, any issues with it?

@SinisterKid76

Search for:

SPRINGFIELD SA-35 HI-POWER EVALUATION & TESTING SESSION​

Thanks Talyn, I've watched all of BH's videos on it and just seems like they are trying to sell their products. I was just curious if anyone on here has an 800+ round count on theirs and experienced this issue.
My mind is already made up and I will definitely grab one as soon I find one around the MSRP, just wanting all the feedback I can find.

Thanks Talyn, I've watched all of BH's videos on it and just seems like they are trying to sell their products. I was just curious if anyone on here has an 800+ round count on theirs and experienced this issue.
My mind is already made up and I will definitely grab one as soon I find one around the MSRP, just wanting all the feedback I can find.
BHSS are the authorities on the BHP, and only replaced parts as they saw safety issues as they progressed in their evaluations.

And they aren't they only ones that reported on things.

But, everyone has to make their own decisions on whether to get one.

My .02.

…some might recall - not that it matters to anyone/anything of course - that I expressed reservations about SA35 early on.

I’ll have to have an awful lot of loose $$ available to buy it now.

1) there are others on my bucket list, that I’d also like to invest in,
2) it ‘appears’ to have problems
3) it simply isn’t a BHP anyway. It’s a copy, and an altered one at that.

just my take on it :)

…some might recall - not that it matters to anyone/anything of course - that I expressed reservations about SA35 early on.

I’ll have to have an awful lot of loose $$ available to buy it now.

1) there are others on my bucket list, that I’d also like to invest in,
2) it ‘appears’ to have problems
3) it simply isn’t a BHP anyway. It’s a copy, and an altered one at that.

just my take on it :)
Does sound like it has some early manufacturing issues.

Did any of you catch Garand Thumb's SA-35 review on YouTube today? He talked about it having extractor issues after 800 rounds so SA sent him another one and it had issues as well.
He talked about them both being triple digit serial numbers and one of his followers has a triple digit serial number pistol with the same problem.
Could this be an early production issue? I'm really wanting one but curious about this.
Any one on here have one? If so, any issues with it?
Was just watching it and going to post here, and saw you beat me to it.

Hoping it’s a low serial number, early manufacturing issue. But definitely may give me pause to cool my jets and wait a few months.

Have some read mixed reviews on the SA-35, mostly good ones. Function on most have been very good.
But, on fit and finish? Have seen some SA-35's in the reviews that left something to be desired with some machine marks and what looked to be casting mark pebbling and wavy lines (Triggers and slides) before final finishing and polishing. Then, with what coupled with other more indepth reviews posted here about edge sharpness, sounds like a possible final stage was skipped or missed on some SA-35's? But, for MSRP it isn't terrible, is doable / fixable. But, could still be better factory fit and finish on some as seen in some reviews. At $699. MSRP or below, I'd be interested. Above that? No. Would go a little above that for stainless version though.

Have some read mixed reviews on the SA-35, mostly good ones. Function on most have been very good.
But, on fit and finish? Have seen some SA-35's in the reviews that left something to be desired with some machine marks and what looked to be casting mark pebbling and wavy lines (Triggers and slides) before final finishing and polishing. Then, with what coupled with other more indepth reviews posted here about edge sharpness, sounds like a possible final stage was skipped or missed on some SA-35's? But, for MSRP it isn't terrible, is doable / fixable. But, could still be better factory fit and finish on some as seen in some reviews. At $699. MSRP or below, I'd be interested. Above that? No. Would go a little above that for stainless version though.
The black oxide finish applied to the SA-35 is a dissapointment. Basically the cheapest & least durable finish you can use.

Nitride, Cerakote and/or parkerized would have been better.

Will be waiting for the release and review of the forthcoming Girsan MCP35 BHP clone/variant.

Last edited:
Like that there is a new HP. Looking to get one the SA-35. After is see and hear if there is any Issues? One other Question. I was wondering if the SA-35 is going to have 10 round Magazines, my State max limit. Or would have to modify Magazine from 15 rounds to 10?

Hi Relow14, 1st off welcome to the forum!

There are reviews posted here, using the search feature will help you find them.

To your other questions, it may be a good question for some people in restricted areas.
Other mags from other HP versions may be available from other manufacturers though and they should likely fit.

This only magazine available from SA at this time. Link:

SA only makes one version of the SA-35 currently. Did not see a state restricted version.

This link will take you to the SA-35 specs.

The black oxide finish applied to the SA-35 is a dissapointment. Basically the cheapest & least durable finish you can use.

Nitride, Cerakote and/or parkerized would have been better.

Will be waiting for the release and review of the forthcoming Girsan MCP35 BHP clone/variant.

Very possibly, but surface prep under what ever finish is applied is important as well. If the prefinish prep is questionable, like for possible deburring, the final finish of what ever it is will likely be even more poor.

I may be wrong in the thoughts about the SA-35? There's two avenues or schools of thought to explore from what have seen so far. From what read and surmised about it is in one direction, like a kit gun of sorts. Like an AR, where there's likely a good base and people change them around like Lego blocks to a degree with different uppers, lowers, grips, parts, etc. - That's one avenue. If there's no weak points and everything's good to go? Leave it be as is. that's the other avenue and the simplest one to remedy if needed on this end.

On the SA-35 at the current price point with MSRP and actual selling price? Is debatable between quality, function and price. Not actually seeing an SA-35 in person makes many things debatable, just like with any other firearms with fit, feel and finish. $699. seems a bit high for a basically build your own in one direction and a little low for one with all the bugs worked out. Basically, it seems like there's some variables with the SA-35 at this point and time, actually could be quite a few. - Is one reason I do not order firearms online and likely won't. Am reading, seeing and hearing too many different variables about same firearm. If and when actually seeing one in person, at what price, will make a final choice / decision then on whether to purchase one then or not. The overall potential of the SA-35 is of what's seen so far that's gathered the interest in this direction. On what finish is actually better? Is partially why like stainless better in some ways, it can eliminate some of that attention. After all that? Waiting around could be a better overall choice too?

I think the issue is that, at least with the Garand Thumb review, he only hit the extractor problem at around 800 rounds. Not many people have the SA-35, and those that do are unlikely to have fired 800 rounds through it yet.

I’m going to wait until there’s a larger sample size.

I have a mid 2000 serial number- I do like it but very concerned about extractor problems. I did return it under Warrenty but still having issues.
Have fired it approximately 650 times and roughly 25-30 failures to eject.
I have shot about 8 different types of ammo- worst problems with Winchester fmj and Sig Sauer 115 grain jhp Defensive ammo

As some of you know, I picked up my SA-35 late last month and didn't make it through 100 rounds without a couple of failures to extract. Sent it back to SA and they replaced the extractor spring and it has made its way back to me today.
I absolutely love the look and feel of this thing, I hope it doesn't disappoint.
Will try to get to the range Saturday and see how it does. Will advise...

As some of you know, I picked up my SA-35 late last month and didn't make it through 100 rounds without a couple of failures to extract. Sent it back to SA and they replaced the extractor spring and it has made its way back to me today.
I absolutely love the look and feel of this thing, I hope it doesn't disappoint.
Will try to get to the range Saturday and see how it does. Will advise...
As I posted earlier...same problem. I do love love the look and feel as well. I sent back first time and they replaced spring, but I continued to have trouble...second time around I documented very carefully my failures....they replaced the extractor and now its working great...have about 400 rounds through her since second repair without a single failure.
hopefully your is fixed. (When I called second time they said notes by technician showed they shot 50 times unable to duplicate....possible- so I shot 270 times different type of ammo, including photos of each malfunction....most of the failures did occur after the 40-50 round point but started happening more frequently as rounds increased. anyways after the second repair it is behaving as one would expect)

As I posted earlier...same problem. I do love love the look and feel as well. I sent back first time and they replaced spring, but I continued to have trouble...second time around I documented very carefully my failures....they replaced the extractor and now its working great...have about 400 rounds through her since second repair without a single failure.
hopefully your is fixed. (When I called second time they said notes by technician showed they shot 50 times unable to duplicate....possible- so I shot 270 times different type of ammo, including photos of each malfunction....most of the failures did occur after the 40-50 round point but started happening more frequently as rounds increased. anyways after the second repair it is behaving as one would expect)
They show "repaired, safety check and tested". I was curious as to how many rounds they ran through it. Thanks for the info and I will be sure to pay close attention around the 50 round mark and hope for the best.

Back