testtest

Saint 9mm Mag Loading Problem

WideSkies

Alpha
Just opened my Saint/Victor 9mm PCC but can't get a second round in the new mags. Spring too tight; my thumb too weak. Tried MagLula loader, but the Colt mag won't accept it. Is this common? What can I do? If I can't load the mags the rifle was a bad decision.

Just opened my Saint/Victor 9mm PCC but can't get a second round in the new mags. Spring too tight; my thumb too weak. Tried MagLula loader, but the Colt mag won't accept it. Is this common? What can I do? If I can't load the mags the rifle was a bad decision.
Sounds strange that you cannot load the mags. Are you clearing the outside edge of the mags with the tip of the bullet?

Extended 9mm mags are typically a lot easier to load than most mags.

I don't think that an issue with a mag should give a bad impression of the rifle. Have you had anyone else try loading the mags? Do you have a Maglula mag loader you can try? Are you pushing the rounds straight down or are you sliding them in like a single stack mag?

You should be able to just push down the rounds straight in from the top of the mag.

Colt 9mm SMG style mags are typically very reliable and easy to load.

Colt SMG mags are pretty easy to load, i loaded a many of them without a loader. I would think the maglula would fit them. they are pretty universal.

Inspect the Spring and/or follower for proper orientation. These days of fast track assembly line production could have resulted in a simple error.

I’d recommend a LULA, but…you’ll need to “bump load”.

Place a round on top of the mag, with your thumb holding it firmly in place.

Now, firmly smack the base of the mag on a workbench, shooting bench, etc. the round should load.

Repeat 30 more times.

It’s an old Uzi mag loading trick…and since Colt SMG mags are just modified Uzi mags…it’ll work.

But get a LULA-they make Colt SMG/Uzi specific ones.

Sounds strange that you cannot load the mags. Are you clearing the outside edge of the mags with the tip of the bullet?

I don't think that an issue with a mag should give a bad impression of the rifle. Have you had anyone else try loading the mags? Do you have a Maglula mag loader you can try? Are you pushing the rounds straight down or are you sliding them in like a single stack mag?

You should be able to just push down the rounds straight in from the top of the mag.

Not sure what you mean by "clearing the outside edge of he mags with the tip of the bullet.
I load the first shell in the recessed half of the follower, but can get the next shell to push down on the first one (on top of the other half of the follower) only part way. Then it gets wedged and I have to work hard to extract it.

I'm surprised you say the Colt mags should be easy to load. Mine aren't. Makes me wonder if these (I got 3) need oil or came from the factory untested. (One came with the rifle; I bought 2 more from SA.)

I have an UpLULA which works fine on my 9mm M&P mags. After pressing the lever onto the follower and inserting a shell, then withdrawing the loader's lever, the shell pops up on top of the mag. (Hard to explain with words.)

I just tried the mags today; no one else around to help.

Now, firmly smack the base of the mag on a workbench, shooting bench, etc. the round should load.

Repeat 30 more times.

It’s an old Uzi mag loading trick…and since Colt SMG mags are just modified Uzi mags…it’ll work.

Inspect the Spring and/or follower for proper orientation. These days of fast track assembly line production could have resulted in a simple error.
Thanks, I'll inspect them (all 3) apart.

Repeat 30 more times.

Bump loading with live rounds sounds like a trick learned in combat. I'm not that adventurous.

Will look into a LULA for Colt SMG/Uzi (you'd think the Israelis would have developed one for their Uzi.

From maglula.com, I found that they make a Colt SMG LULA for 9mm mags. Problem is this: mine is called an "UpLULA" and works with "regular" 9mm mags (again, like my M&P 9). Their Colt SMG is similar to the ones you use with AR15/M16 mags; completed different operation.

This sounds like THE solution. Thanks very much for the tip about this!

Hi I’m new to the forum.

I just picked up my Saint Victor 9mm today as well.

I was able load into my magazine, by hand (10 rounds to start) and it was a little stiff. I do not have the loader yet. For each round I had to push down with my thumb from the middle, to get the next to load.

Bump loading with live rounds sounds like a trick learned in combat. I'm not that adventurous.

Will look into a LULA for Colt SMG/Uzi (you'd think the Israelis would have developed one for their Uzi.
I’ve done it for decades at the range…there’s zero risk involved.

From maglula.com, I found that they make a Colt SMG LULA for 9mm mags. Problem is this: mine is called an "UpLULA" and works with "regular" 9mm mags (again, like my M&P 9). Their Colt SMG is similar to the ones you use with AR15/M16 mags; completed different operation.

This sounds like THE solution. Thanks very much for the tip about this!
UPLULA stands for “Universal Pistol Loader/UnLoader Accessory”…it’s designed for pistol mags, not SMG mags.

Thanks, I usually don't look up abbreviated names like this. I will from now on. Thus: what does "SMG" mean?
Sub Machine Gun.

The Colt mags were originally designed for the Colt 635 Commando SMG…and as mentioned, they’re just an Uzi mag with a catch slot cut in for the AR mag release.

Sub Machine Gun.

The Colt mags were originally designed for the Colt 635 Commando SMG…and as mentioned, they’re just an Uzi mag with a catch slot cut in for the AR mag release.
Now I see why SA calls their 9mm mag a "Colt-pattern" mag (ala the 635 Commando SMG). This area of rifles/SMGs is new to me. Thanks HansGruber/Ronin for giving me thoughtful responses.

Back