testtest

Screw Size

Yancx

Alpha
In October I purchased the A14B plate from Springfield Armory. Today I notice that the screw that holds the rear sight on the A14B plate in place is missing and the sight is moving left and right. I need to replace the missing screw to secure the sight. Does anyone know the type of screw and size I need?

In October I purchased the A14B plate from Springfield Armory. Today I notice that the screw that holds the rear sight on the A14B plate in place is missing and the sight is moving left and right. I need to replace the missing screw to secure the sight. Does anyone know the type of screw and size I need?
contact (phone call) Springfield, i have read where they have been known to just send them to you, free of charge.

Call SA....My Ronin rear sight set screw loosened and fell out during shooting....I called and they shipped me a new one no charge. I've had several issues with Ronin sights (and they continue), but SA will help you no doubt.

Call SA....My Ronin rear sight set screw loosened and fell out during shooting....I called and they shipped me a new one no charge. I've had several issues with Ronin sights (and they continue), but SA will help you no doubt.
I did contact SA and they will send me the set screw. I wanted the size of the screw to make sure I have the appropriate screw driver

I did contact SA and they will send me the set screw. I wanted the size of the screw to make sure I have the appropriate screw driver
gonna be under 1.0

best to get a real gunsmiths torx bit/driver set.

not that expensive, Brownells, Midway USA, many others should have the sets, metric and standard sizes.

gonna be under 1.0

best to get a real gunsmiths torx bit/driver set.
not that expensive, Brownells, Midway USA, many others should have the sets, metric and standard sizes.

While I don't disagree everyone needs gunsmithing screwdriver sets, It's not necessary for Torx bits. In fact I would argue against using ANY tip/bit for removal. Use an actual hardened Torx driver.

There's a definite difference between hollow ground gunsmith screwdrivers and regular screwdrivers. There's nothing special about the Torx bits that come in a Wheeler or Brownells set. You have Torx or security Torx and either one will work just fine as long as it's the correct size.

That screw is going to be either a T-15 or a T-20, I almost guarantee it.

While I don't disagree everyone needs gunsmithing screwdriver sets, It's not necessary for Torx bits. In fact I would argue against using ANY tip/bit for removal. Use an actual hardened Torx driver.

There's a definite difference between hollow ground gunsmith screwdrivers and regular screwdrivers. There's nothing special about the Torx bits that come in a Wheeler or Brownells set. You have Torx or security Torx and either one will work just fine as long as it's the correct size.

That screw is going to be either a T-15 or a T-20, I almost guarantee it.
thanks Bob, i'll make a correction, and add to it....

that 1.0 size i mentioned, is actually for a metric size allen wrench, which i had needed (and had) in my allen wrench set, for something, either for my reloading press(es) i think my Dillon, or something else. i just cannot recall. i'm just glad i had it.

i have what should be a full set of Wheeler hollow ground driver bits, and the Torx bits in that kit, that i have start at T-5, then 7,8,9, 10 and up from there.

i just still do not have a torque driver.

Upon further examination it seems that the screw had broken off the sight and some of the screw remains in the bottom of the sight, flush with the bottom making it impossible to grab with a pair of pliers. (see pics). Also, there isn't a screw hole on the A14B plate for the sight screw to screw into. Whats up with that? Anyone have a picture of the bottom of their A14B plate?

Attachments

• IMG_2937.jpg
    IMG_2937.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2938.jpg
    IMG_2938.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2939.jpg
    IMG_2939.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2940.jpg
    IMG_2940.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 24
Upon further examination it seems that the screw had broken off the sight and some of the screw remains in the bottom of the sight, flush with the bottom making it impossible to grab with a pair of pliers. (see pics). Also, there isn't a screw hole on the A14B plate for the sight screw to screw into. Whats up with that? Anyone have a picture of the bottom of their A14B plate?
if there isn't any screw hole in the plate, that that broken screw was only a "lock screw', that just tightens to the plate.

i have several sights that have screws like that, that just lock the sight into place.

loosen it a bit, slide the sight, to zero it, lock it down.

the very first gun i pull from my cabinet, my S&W MP 45.

lock screw..
1706711243270.png

Last edited:
if there isn't any screw hole in the plate, that that broken screw was only a "lock screw', that just tightens to the plate.

i have several sights that have screws like that, that just lock the sight into place.

lock screw..
View attachment 51648

lock screw..
View attachment 51648
I wish I could loosen that screw. There isn't anything to grab to screw on the bottom.

the sight is already off the gun..??

if so, toss it, and get another.

too much time to drill out, retap, or to get an extractor, the drill thru the broken screw...

like this old gal would say....

Waiting to hear back from Springfield on getting a new sight that will fit the A14B plate. They want me to send back the plate but it is red loctited to the slide. Love to video!

thanks Bob, i'll make a correction, and add to it....

that 1.0 size i mentioned, is actually for a metric size allen wrench, which i had needed (and had) in my allen wrench set, for something, either for my reloading press(es) i think my Dillon, or something else. i just cannot recall. i'm just glad i had it.

i have what should be a full set of Wheeler hollow ground driver bits, and the Torx bits in that kit, that i have start at T-5, then 7,8,9, 10 and up from there.

i just still do not have a torque driver.
Most optics get torqued to 15 ft. Lbs. That’s a whole lot less than if you “Snug” it up by feel. And if you use LocTite and over tighten it you’re asking for problems. I highly suggest getting a torque driver and using manufacturer’s torque specs.

Waiting to hear back from Springfield on getting a new sight that will fit the A14B plate. They want me to send back the plate but it is red loctited to the slide. Love to video!
Has to come off either way right? Take the screws out, using a torx driver, NOT a universal driver with a torx bit. Then knock the plate off.

Most optics get torqued to 15 ft. Lbs. That’s a whole lot less than if you “Snug” it up by feel. And if you use LocTite and over tighten it you’re asking for problems. I highly suggest getting a torque driver and using manufacturer’s torque specs.
The plate is red loctited as the blue wouldnt hold the plate to the slide for very long, about 100 shots. So I used the red and I do have a torque driver and torqued to the the appropriate specs. The optic is blue loctited to the plate and can be remove easily.

Back