testtest

SD truth and fiction

Screenshot_20210804-043615_Samsung Internet.jpg

The top post has it right!

The issue is that expanding bullets expand completely in the first 2 or 3 inches. After that their shape is typically very blunt and stays that way until stopping or exiting.

Lest we forget, Sectional Density remains a critical parameter for how much velocity the bullet keeps and wind drift.

Now, how can one take advantage of that tid-bit for estimating bullet performance on big game?

Turns out that the two most important parameters are impact velocity and bullet weight.

Impact velocity needs to be within the bullet's performance envelope. Too fast and it essentially explodes and creates a serious surface ound but doesn't penetrate very far. Too slow, and it acts like a solid bullet.

The expanded bullet starts to look more like a ball than a spear. Gary Sciuchetti published a note: "The Best Hunting Bullet", Handloader, No. 193, pp. 40 – 44, June, 1998 that goes a long way toward this by examining the depth and expanded diameter of a large variety of bullets impacting fresh road kill deer. His data suggests that the depth and expanded diameter both depend more on weight and bullet type than on any other parameter.

Combine this with knowledge gained by mesolithic hunters 5,000 years ago relating preferred arrowhead width and size of game hunted and one can develop an algorithm that suggests the weight of bullet needed to reiaibly anchor an animal hit in the chest cavity.

The resulting online app an discussion can be found here: http://shootersnotes.com/ideal-bullet-weight-2/defining-ideal-bullet-weight/

If I could get the other to post/link it would've been better. I've never paid any attention to SD, just weight and type/style for the job at hand. I've never shot anything bigger than a whitetail. In one of the links that didn't post suggest that to high of velocity at impact makes the organs harder/harden. That was on the Hornady link. In doing so it doesn't have time to create a useful wound channel/cavity.

Back