testtest

selling a handgun to another individual

Status
Not open for further replies.

papa

Professional
Founding Member
Here in the state of Illinois we have had the FOID card since 1968. We have to have the card to buy firearms and ammo. If selling to another person we have to call in their FOID number and get a confirmation from ISP that the card is OK.

Having said that , I am wondering what one has to do to sell a firearm to another in your state without going through an FFL.

Here in the state of Illinois we have had the FOID card since 1968. We have to have the card to buy firearms and ammo. If selling to another person we have to call in their FOID number and get a confirmation from ISP that the card is OK.

Having said that , I am wondering what one has to do to sell a firearm to another in your state without going through an FFL.
Along with a 72 hour waiting period.

I have never sold any firearms to anybody but to my brother, I do keep a record of it, like model, serial number, date and cost. I do this just for my own records, other then that, I will trade any off for something I am interested in at a gun shop.

Don't have to do anything in most states, including mine. Private sales are not regulated. Personally I don't sell guns to anyone I don't know and if I did I would make them go through a BGC from a FFL.
I have the same mindset!

I don't sell my guns period but if for some reason it would be through an FFL with background check for added personal measure.

When I was in Massachusetts I bought a rifle from a friend and you need to go through a State Gov website to input both parties LTC or FID info plus the info on the gun itself to legally transfer ownership.

I have the same mindset!

I don't sell my guns period but if for some reason it would be through an FFL with background check for added personal measure.

I really don't either. I have sold one or two that I bought and ended up not liking, but that was years ago. One was a Super Blackhawk in .44 . It was ok, but it really wasn't that comfortable to shoot. I sold that one to my buddy. He still has it. I shot it on a range trip a few months back. Now that I'm old it's even less comfortable than I remembered. I have a 30 year old Taurus with an 8 3/8" compensated barrel that I can shoot one handed all day long. Took many, many deer with it.

After thinking and going through some paperwork, I did sell 2 firearms to a couple of sheriff deputies that I worked with, forgot that I did that, but I did get a bill of sales and had the sheriff sign off on the sales, sorry, getting forgetful, this happened back in the 90’s, I keep all my gun receipts, just in case.

Last edited:
To easy to find an ffl to do the transfer for you, most will charge a transfer fee make the buyer pay it. Better to be safe then sorry. Unless you really really really know who you are selling it to and your state allows it.
use something like gunbrokers ffl finder go down the list until you find a decent dealer who is not a pain to work with

In Michigan an individual wanting to purchase a hand gun has to go, with identification to local police department or sheriff department and get a Permit to Purchase Pistol. They run a LEIN check, fingerprints and have to take a safety test. They get the permit and have 10 days to use it. Both seller and buyer fills out three part form. One kept by seller, one goes to police agency and third to the Michigan State Police. My son could pass the safety test when he was 10.

Now if you both have a Concealed Pistol License you don't have to get a Purchase Permit. You can just download a form online. Both seller and purchaser fill out the 3 part form. Buyer keeps one, seller keeps one and third goes to local police agency which forwards a copy to the Michigan State Police.

I should have also included that we have to Keep a record of the buyers FOId number , brand and model of firearm , and the serial number . We have to keep this info for 10 years .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back