testtest

Selling your firearm questions.

Martino

Alpha
Hello guys! Well I been away for a bit learning some things and teaching some things (Krav) to my family...lol and now I need to ask my more knowledgeable friends here lol... I have a New Springfield XDS 9mm sc with red dot. Only put 5 rounds through it thus far... because I either cannot find ammo or it’s mor than I am willing to pay. (I’m a real hardhead lol 🙄italians) any way I spent $550 on this beautiful gun and I cannot shoot it and I want to shoot every day in hindsight I’d have purchased the S&W AR-22 . So if I can get a lot back or just get an AR22 swap I would. I have no knowledge of selling a gun

Hello guys! Well I been away for a bit learning some things and teaching some things (Krav) to my family...lol and now I need to ask my more knowledgeable friends here lol... I have a New Springfield XDS 9mm sc with red dot. Only put 5 rounds through it thus far... because I either cannot find ammo or it’s mor than I am willing to pay. (I’m a real hardhead lol 🙄italians) any way I spent $550 on this beautiful gun and I cannot shoot it and I want to shoot every day in hindsight I’d have purchased the S&W AR-22 . So if I can get a lot back or just get an AR22 swap I would. I have no knowledge of selling a gun
If you don't need the cash I would hold on to the XDS because even though ammo is scarce and expensive currently the supply will build back up and prices will go down with time.

Ammo is already starting to become more available in my area as I'm seeing it pretty regularly now in different calibers. The supply will eventually meet then exceed the demand at some point driving down the prices.

You purchased a small, concealed carry weapon. You bought this for carry and personal protection - something that a AR-22 is not. Sure, 9mm practice ammo was about 14 cents a round 15 months ago, and has gone up a lot, but it is starting to trend back down.

5 rounds is not even breaking in the pistol or learning how to shoot it. Around here, the ranges are selling 9mm ammo at about $35 for 50 rounds. I suggest at least running 50-100 rounds through it, then conserving ammo until it comes down. Use dry fire practice, consider a laser training system, which at $99 or so, is a good way to target practice without spending additional money on ammo. I'm considering one, just can't decide which one to get.

If you want something fun to shoot, but are not serious about defense and protection, a 22LR is great. I wouldn't give up my 9mm though.

Go to your local indoor range a lot ranges are sitting on ammo to keep people coming in and renting lanes. I know the weather is changing and we want to be outside but I just went to a local range and they had tons of ammo in all calibers. They would sell you 1 box per caliber you were shooting. I got 45 and 9 and didn't even have my 45 with me. 50 rounds of 9 was $21.99 and $24.99 for 50 rnds of 45.

If you don't need the cash I would hold on to the XDS because even though ammo is scarce and expensive currently the supply will build back up and prices will go down with time.

Ammo is already starting to become more available in my area as I'm seeing it pretty regularly now in different calibers. The supply will eventually meet then exceed the demand at some point driving down the prices.
Agree with @10mmLife. I would hold on to it. Prices will eventually come down as inventory goes up. I also own an XDS mod 2 in 9mm. It's a keeper.

If you are adamant about selling, the best places for getting fair market for them are to sell them on Gunbroker.com or go to Guns.com and ask for an appraisal and they may make an offer.

Pawn shops and gun stores will lowball you.

The rules on private sale of a firearm vary by state. If you live in Alabama, you could sell it to someone you know, easily. It's not as easy in many states. Selling back to a local gun store or pawn shop you will not even get back half what you spent on it, even with just 5 rounds through it. Some of the sites mentioned above are your only option online.

If the dem's have their way, background checks and FFL transfers will be the law of the land, and no private sales will be permitted. They are also working to prevent you from passing firearms down to your children or grandchildren, without similar restrictions in place.

IMO I would keep what you have.
Unless you reload I don't believe any of us here has shot as much as we would like.
There are replica air guns that are the exact weight and size of your favorite pistol and as others have said electronic range using your pistol by dry firing.
Both of these suggestion help keep your site acquisition and muscle memory sharp all that is lacking is felt recoil.
I started with revolvers when money was tight and this is what I still use now that ammo is tight.
Crosman 38c .22 pellet gun.

2011_0209airagain0010.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Unfortunately, I’ve been forced into retirement from injuries from an auto accident in 2017...... I need to make every dollar count ... and a gun I do t shoot at least every week is money I could have working toward ammo or more firearms. But I do agree with you!! And wish I was in a better place that way

You purchased a small, concealed carry weapon. You bought this for carry and personal protection - something that a AR-22 is not. Sure, 9mm practice ammo was about 14 cents a round 15 months ago, and has gone up a lot, but it is starting to trend back down.

5 rounds is not even breaking in the pistol or learning how to shoot it. Around here, the ranges are selling 9mm ammo at about $35 for 50 rounds. I suggest at least running 50-100 rounds through it, then conserving ammo until it comes down. Use dry fire practice, consider a laser training system, which at $99 or so, is a good way to target practice without spending additional money on ammo. I'm considering one, just can't decide which one to get.

If you want something fun to shoot, but are not serious about defense and protection, a 22LR is great. I wouldn't give up my 9mm though.
Got you and agree read my reply earlier. I did have a plan all figured out, lol I didn’t believe prices should Kim’s like they did. And yes it’s a great ccw. But I believe I need to fire it every day to start and at least once a week to be as good as I wish to be for carry. Dry fire... I haven’t seen an affordable round that will give me the same realistic kick of a live round so it’s not something I want to have laying around do to my monetary status. So new plan. I don’t want to really carry a .22 for protection not that I will not do so. But for now. I’m teaching my family tactical home invasion and survival practices and the AR22, will give me the opportunities I want to spend more time shooting learning and sharing with my sons brothers and nephews... hey! I’m going to have a few of Springfield models in time I like their products... a lot. If they have an AR STYLE .22 and I can swap mine and it out without having to put a lot of additional money out I’d consider that too. But my cousin and mentor also an engineer but with years of military referred me to the M&P ty!!!

Martino,

The unfortunate fact is that you won't make more than half what you paid for that brand new XDS if you sell it to a gun shop or pawn shop, if that. Maybe they will trade it even for a cheap AR chambered in 22LR - certainly something to consider.

I understand your financial situation - I've been in layoff situations too, but if you've been in that situation since 2017, it seems it was the same when you bought that XDS just a little bit ago as it is today. I just hate to see you lose money on a quick sale. Pricing on 9mm ammo is coming back down, and is still cheaper than about any other centerfire handgun ammo. That is something you should consider if you are truly trying to defend your family. An AR-22 is fun and cheaper to shoot, but also less potent.

Anyway, if this is your first firearm, then it sounds like you probably should have started with a 22LR if you really wanted to shoot a lot for low ammo cost. Your best bet in moving to that is probably seeing if your local gun shop will do a trade on a used AR-22. Your firearm is now "used" and will not go for new pricing unless you find a friend willing to take it off your hands for near new pricing.

Keep it. Get some snap caps and do some dry fire exercises. Train with it. Become one with it. Mold into it. And give it a name.

I have every gun I have ever bought. I still even have my first shotgun that was given to me. Right before corona my wife wanted to get her ccw, with that we went on a buying trip for her. At that time I said that maybe I should trade a pistol I have in on something better. That would have been my first time ever getting rid of a gun. It is my hand gun and it never was anything to write home about. She said you know they won't give you much for it, why not just keep it and wait awhile? You can never have to many guns. I was like what? I have never heard a woman talk like that before. Then when we went to pick up some ammo to get her used to her gun, $14/50 rds, I said oh 4 boxes should about do it. (I had some at home). She bought 1000 rounds and said "you can never have to much ammo". She is a witchy woman and bear to deal with, but she does have her good side as well. LOL.
Well a year later and I have built her a gun and I still have my 20 year old side arm. Oh and I bought another long gun.
Point is. Keep it. At this point it is not really going to go down in value and someday if you need the money or if you need the gun, you might be happy you kept it. Plus a ar-22 is not a very expensive gun and probably just as easy to buy outright. Not to mention, having different calibers means you can shoot what is on sale or available.

I’m going against the group.

Don't like it? Get rid of it. A gun is just a gun; nothing special, just a lifeless hunk of metal and plastic. Right now, it's a seller's market, too...so you'll likely be able to either make what you have I. It back, or even make a little bit of a profit.

Now, before you do anything g, make sure you know and understand your state's laws when it comes to buying & selling handguns, particularly between individuals, should you decide to do that.

Trading/selling to a gun shop is your least profitable way, but the safest in terms of legality. Expect to take a loss, but probably not a bad one unless the shop is being a (donkey). Trading will get you a better deal than selling.

Of you decide to sell on your own, you can use a site like Armslist (they charge a fee), but, again—know your state's laws. It would likely be smart to meet at a dealer who can transfer the gun to the buyer (again for a fee). You'll likely get top dollar for your pistol this way.

I'd hold onto it. In the meantime, if you've been forced into retirement, but still able to teach Krav to family members, perhaps teach outsiders (charge for lessons) and put the money towards some practice ammo. Just a thought.

Back