testtest

Servicios y Aventuras SPP and 40 S&W

markr6754

Elite
Founding Member
As with many others I picked up 3 bricks of the SyA primers and made up some 40 S&W ammo. Made it to the range for the first time this year. No excuses. Anyway, I brought 2 of my 40s with me for testing. My Springfield EMP and my new Taurus TH40C. The test rounds were really good, accurate, very satisfactory loads. One box was my first trial of WST powder in 40 S&W. I've used it in 45 Auto as well as 9mm...very pleased with how it ran my 165gr JHP from Everglades Ammo.

Anyway, I had zero issues with the TH40C. Every round fired in one trigger pull...just as you'd expect. Good ignition, every round felt like full powder burn, clean cases, no fireballs, and no residual powder or residue. All of the issues were with my Springfield EMP, which has ALWAYS plagued me with light primer strikes. I had about 15% failure on first hammer fall, and 100% success after cocking the hammer and firing again. I didn't examine any of rounds after the first hit, so I don't know if it was a light strike issue, or if I merely finished seating the primer on the first hit. I'm inclined to believe that all of the primers were properly seating, and anvils fully set, as the 100% successful firings in the TH40C were with the same ammo from the same box. I shot a total of 89 rounds, split roughly equally between the Taurus and the Springfield. I don't have any striker fired 40s, so I'll have to run a few batches through my 9mms to continue testing.

As it happened,, I also had a batch I'd made with 700-X, 155gr Berry's FP, and TulAmmo primers. I only shot 10 of them, and one round took 3 hits from my TH40C without going off. I removed that round and it was about as well struck a primer as I've ever seen. Still, I moved it to my light hitting Springfield EMP...and it went off on the first attempt. Based on that alone, I'll take more SyA primers before I'll buy any more Tulas.

Back