testtest

Shooting and Prescription Eyeglasses Question(s)

dadoser

Elite
I'm 59 with astigmatism in both eyes. (Also Type 1 diabetic - but no eye damage - just possible inconsistency in vision with fluctuating blood sugars). My distance vision is decent for my age, but the issue is mostly reading and the astigmatism. I have noticed deterioration over the last 7 yrs.

When I shoot indoors, I use my prescription progressive lenses. Outdoors, typically a set of non-prescription sunglasses.

I'm wanting to get a set of prescription glasses for shooting - indoors and out. Trying to figure out if I go with progressives for shooting or drop the progressive and go with single vision - slight distance and astigmatism correction only?

Also looking at glasses with interchangeable lenses - clear/tinted - and with a prescription insert.

Questions -
Should I go with progressive lenses for shooting or go single vision?
Any recommendations for specific glasses to do the above - interchangeable lenses w/prescription insert?

Thanks for any advice, perspective, recommendations.

Last edited:
How about wearing contacts and bifocal shooting glasses? I have photochromic +2.0 "reading" shooting glasses, works OK: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08F2XMXLL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1695946203610.png

I wear progressives, but shoot with single vision calibrated to my front sight. I do not shoot rifle caliber cartridges.
As I have gone exclusively to dots now - and my focus is on the target vs front sight - I was thinking a regular single vision with astigmatism correction would be the way to go......but wanted to solicit perspective from the forum. Thanks.

When was your last eye exam? This should be an annual ritual.

I would recommend a proper exam and with the aid of an optometrist, they can give you an exam to fit your needs with your arm extended and a prescription to meet all your vision needs no matter what they are.
I wear contact lenses of different powers to compensate for seeing distance and for reading rather than going with wearing eyeglasses (bifocal) for both. I guess the same could also apply by having eyeglasses made with powers set accordingly for that too, I never asked.
The right eye if dominant/strong hand would be the reading power for sight focus.

I wear trifocals for walking around everyday. I had the eye doc calibrate the middle lens Rx to focus on my front sight of my pistol. I took a blue gun in for my eye exam. It also works well for computer screens. I also have a set of plano lenses with that Rx for range days.

My skeet glasses are calibrated for far vision.

When was your last eye exam? This should be an annual ritual.

I would recommend a proper exam and with the aid of an optometrist, they can give you an exam to fit your needs with your arm extended and a prescription to meet all your vision needs no matter what they are.
I wear contact lenses of different powers to compensate for seeing distance and for reading rather than going with wearing eyeglasses (bifocal) for both. I guess the same could also apply by having eyeglasses made with powers set accordingly for that too, I never asked.
The right eye if dominant/strong hand would be the reading power for sight focus.
Eye exam was last Thursday - glasses exam the following day.
I asked about shooting - doc was not helpful. He wasn't an ass - but said something to the effect of shooting is complicated with sight and different distances - but did not offer any help. Last years exam, I brought a slide in with a dot on it and asked some questions as well - not really helpful. Ptobably should have changed eye doctors.

Last edited:
When I got my glasses, I got them in polycarbonate so I can just use them for shooting, mine are progressive lenses, I have no problems with them at my range, I did get a medium tint on them, not to dark, but enough for glare.

Nearsighted....I can't talk firearms with my ophthalmologist....she's a communist (what used to be a democrat). BUT, with my astigmatism I went to a prism optic instead of a red dot on my AR & Hellion, and I shoot w/o glasses since I can focus on the front sight well enough for both pistol and rifle sights. Love a scope, but hard to put one on the rifles I like (1903, Garand, M1A...). I'll never win a sharpshooting contest, but I couldn't care less about that.

Eye exam was last Thursday - glasses exam the following day.
I asked about shooting - doc was not helpful. He wasn't an ass - but said something to the effect of shooting is complicated with sight and different distances - but did not offer any help. Last years exam, I brought a slide in with a dot on it and asked some questions as well - not really helpful. Ptobably should have changed eye doctors.

I have an age appropriate optometrist to match the needs of my vision care for years, more tolerant and respectful to certain hobbies.
This is an independent optometrist office one doctor/one receptionist and not a national chain type.

Not sure what he called it, perhaps “mono-vision” comes to mind?
Near-sighted too, but my issue was not wanting to have reading glasses to tote around and lose, but continue to use my contact lenses and have one eye with enough distance power to read street signs while driving or motorcycling the other enough to read the fine print on a can of tuna. This was the optometrist’s idea to alter lens powers not mine.

Good luck and good health hope this helps.

i have a set of polarized safety GLASS aviators for sunglasses and range glasses
makes a huge world of difference, no glare etc

my regular lenses are progressive plastics with the self darkening, but they are no match for the glass lensed polarized one i have , they are also progressive in focus.

its getting harder each year to get the glass lenses here, it used to take a week, now its almost 3. but they dont scratch or glare

Hi @dadoser,

I've been using these "Top Focal" shooting glasses from SSP Eyeware: https://sspeyewear.com/collections/top-focal

1695959547409.png

They can put the bi-focal part (the diopter) on the top of the lens so that you don't have to put your nose up to see your front sights.

Since I've had cataract surgery on my right eye, and I'm right eye dominant, I used the corrective lens only on the right side. You can custom order your sets with diopters on one or both eyes. I think they're pretty slick for use on the range.

I'm also thinking about using one of these...

1695959233352.png

...on my new prescription glasses. I can cut these up to put a small diopter in the upper left corner of my right lens to help me see the front sight without yelling to the bad guy, "Hey! Wait! Let me put my shooting glasses on first!" :ROFLMAO: See: https://www.amazon.com/Hydrotac-Magnification-Reusable-Bifocal-Lenses/dp/B01N5E3DCI/

But enough of my old eye problems. I hope you can find your solution.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Hi @dadoser,

I've been using these "Top Focal" shooting glasses from SSP Eyeware: https://sspeyewear.com/collections/top-focal

View attachment 44325

They can put the bi-focal part (the diopter) on the top of the lens so that you don't have to put your nose up to see your front sights.

Since I've had cataract surgery on my right eye, and I'm right eye dominant, I used the corrective lens only on the right side. You can custom order your sets with diopters on one or both eyes. I think they're pretty slick for use on the range.

I'm also thinking about using one of these...

View attachment 44324
...on my new prescription glasses. I can cut these up to put a small diopter in the upper left corner of my right lens to help me see the front sight without yelling to the bad guy, "Hey! Wait! Let me put my shooting glasses on first!" :ROFLMAO: See: https://www.amazon.com/Hydrotac-Magnification-Reusable-Bifocal-Lenses/dp/B01N5E3DCI/

But enough of my old eye problems. I hope you can find your solution.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
Great information! Thanks for sharing!

I'm 59 with astigmatism in both eyes. (Also Type 1 diabetic - but no eye damage - just possible inconsistency in vision with fluctuating blood sugars). My distance vision is decent for my age, but the issue is mostly reading and the astigmatism. I have noticed deterioration over the last 7 yrs.

When I shoot indoors, I use my prescription progressive lenses. Outdoors, typically a set of non-prescription sunglasses.

I'm wanting to get a set of prescription glasses for shooting - indoors and out. Trying to figure out if I go with progressives for shooting or drop the progressive and go with single vision - slight distance and astigmatism correction only?

Also looking at glasses with interchangeable lenses - clear/tinted - and with a prescription insert.

Questions -
Should I go with progressive lenses for shooting or go single vision?
Any recommendations for specific glasses to do the above - interchangeable lenses w/prescription insert?

Thanks for any advice, perspective, recommendations.
i am type 2 diabetic.

i also wear reading glasses.

if i wear my glasses, i cannot see down range, but can see my front sight.

if i wear magnifying glasses, i can see the front sight, but i cannot see down range.

so i just wear ordinary shooters safety glasses. but the front sight is slightly blurred.

i have posted many of my targets over the months here, i seem to do ok.

if i had to wake up during the night cuz of an intruder, i don't think i have time to grab my reading glasses, or magnifying glasses either. hell not even my ear protection.

you will just have to try different glasses...thing is, the over all cost involved.

good luck.

Back