testtest

Shotguns?

I truly don't know enough about shotgun shells, shot or slugs. I thought for example 12ga 2 3/4" vs 3" shells were length different? I had a box of both and both measured the same length. Is there pressure difference between them on standard type loads? Wondering why some say 2 3/4" only where as some accept both? Internet searching made it more confusing! With the knowledge/brain power of members on here I know there is good info for me too remedy a cure!

I truly don't know enough about shotgun shells, shot or slugs. I thought for example 12ga 2 3/4" vs 3" shells were length different? I had a box of both and both measured the same length. Is there pressure difference between them on standard type loads? Wondering why some say 2 3/4" only where as some accept both? Internet searching made it more confusing! With the knowledge/brain power of members on here I know there is good info for me too remedy a cure!
Neither unfired shell is actually the the specified length of 2-3/4in or 3in until fired and the shell opens up to the size stated on the box. Both shells should be a different length unfired with the 2-3/4 shell being slightly smaller than the 3in.

The main pressure difference in shotgun shells is between hi-brass vs low-brass shells with the higher brass shell having more charge to it.

A 3in shell will typically have more weight in shot associated with the added length of the cartridge but not always more chamber pressure.

@Bassbob is the resident shotgun expert maybe he could shine some more light on this.

Neither unfired shell is actually the the specified length of 2-3/4in or 3in until fired and the shell opens up to the size stated on the box. Both shells should be a different length unfired with the 2-3/4 shell being slightly smaller than the 3in.

The main pressure difference in shotgun shells is between hi-brass vs low-brass shells with the higher brass shell having more charge to it.

A 3in shell will typically have more weight in shot associated with the added length of the cartridge but not always more chamber pressure.

@Bassbob is the resident shotgun expert maybe he could shine some more light on this.
None were fired when measured. Like you stated the fired length could be the difference? It's "Greek" to me! I'm not looking for load data type info, just what the difference is. I see where there is velocity difference between the 2 (according to the box info). The strange thing is tube mag capacity difference with the shorter having 1 more total. The gun company info made no sense when I tried both length shells and both had the same capacity with the 1 less total.

What shotgun did you get TFL? (Not that it has anything to do with your question, I’m just curious).
Nothing new, just 2 I've had for a while. KSG (6+6 or 7+7 depending on 2 3/4 or 3") and standard manufacturing dp-12. Taking the choke out of the dp was a pita, but the new brakes almost gets recoil down to 0. I'm going to install a V6 on the ksg.
16292462515117820339783554150641.jpg

The difference is definitely the length. 2 3/4" , 3" , 3 1/2". 3 and 3 1/2 are usually magnum loads and contain a bigger charge ( more powder) and usually generate higher velocities.

I am surprised you say the brakes drop recoil to zero though as brakes on shotguns can't really do much to mitigate recoil since you aren't shooting a rifled projectile stuffed tight into the barrel. Still plenty of people claim recoil reduction with them, using slugs anyway so what do I know.

I can tell you this, firing slugs, especially 3" magnums, through the KSG25 and no extended recoil pad or limb saver gets a little unpleasant after 10 rounds or so. I imagine it's worse with the KSG or the KS7 since they are so much shorter. I can shoot 00B all day long. I have decided that the KSG is a Buckshot gun. This is my slug gun. I can ( and have) done multiple 16 round dumps with slugs of all flavors and it was perfectly pleasant.
JRBNgLu.jpg

Also for the record, I am far from the resident expert. I may be the most enthusiastic shotgun hoarder here, but there are several guys here with much better shotguns than I have. Though I suspect I am in the running for the most shotguns. I think I have 20 or so.

One other note. Actual hull length often varies significantly between manufacturers. The majority of the time if your shotgun won’t hold the stated number of rounds it’s an issue with the shells not the magazine. There are exceptions. Some of the early TS-12s for example would not hold five 2 3/4” shells in one or more of the mag tubes. I have ran every shell I could get my hands on through mine though and it has held the stated capacity. Manufacturers usually leave a little extra room to account for shell length variance. If you stick 7 rounds in your Mossberg 500 you’ll notice that an 8th shell will slide about 1/4 of the way in.

The 2 I have will fit the 3" almost 1/2 way in on the 7th round on the kgs. The 2 3/4 and 3" shells measure ( before fired) darn near the same length ( but different brands and same type hulls). I was shooting 00 ( same brand) with and without the brake and it kicked very little with the brake on. The big difference was with slugs that would generate over 4,000 #s of ME.

The 2 I have will fit the 3" almost 1/2 way in on the 7th round on the kgs. The 2 3/4 and 3" shells measure ( before fired) darn near the same length ( but different brands and same type hulls). I was shooting 00 ( same brand) with and without the brake and it kicked very little with the brake on. The big difference was with slugs that would generate over 4,000 #s of ME.

I think when I get a chance I'm going to get the extended butt pad and I may break down and put the brakes on just to see what difference it makes with slugs. As for the capacity both tubes on my 25 will take 12 rounds of federal FC 00B, but only 11 rounds of the cheap, green ones. They will take 12 rounds of the 1600 FPS Truball slugs too.

Back