testtest

Should Concealed Carry Rookies Appendix Carry

For the most part, I agree.

That being said, I do carry a J-frame AIWB fairly often...but I have a very, very specific regimen for it.

First, I have a good holster that provides full coverage of the trigger. It’s also a stiff leather holster, not a floppy, soft “sticky” holster, or a POJ “Uncle Mikes” or similar soft holster. If the leather ever gets soft, and deformable...the holster will be replaced.

Second—I will ONLY carry a J-frame, with a long, heavy, DAO trigger. You can carry a striker with a light trigger AIWB all you want; I will not.

Then-my process to carry is I place the loaded pistol in the holster, then put the entire pistol and holster inside my waistband; I also slightly lean back so that I don’t muzzle myself while doing it.

Lol, I don’t like appendix carry myself, don’t like something pointed at important body parts.............
Truth be told on this. I’ve carried AIWB sense I started to carry a firearm. I’ve yet to have a accident. That being said I also make sure when I re-holster I do it in the safest way I know how. If the situation ever arose where I had to pull a firearm in public I’d re-holster reluctantly and I’d go off my training and pull the holster out my firearm back in it and place it back where it goes.

I'm another who has never felt really comfortable with any firearm carried IWB. I've always carried OWB, regardless of what firearm I carried, at about a 10-11:eek:clock position. When wearing jeans, I'll put the holster on my belt between the first ans second belt loop on my left side, then once my belt is buckled I slide the holster as far to the front (right directly behind the first loop) as I can.

My favorite holsters are fairly rigid leather, usually lined, and always .... always.... covers the trigger guard. In fact I'm awaiting my newest one made expressly for my new Hellcat as I type this. Shipping notice says it'll be here Saturday pm.

regards,
jumpinjoe

I'm another who has never felt really comfortable with any firearm carried IWB. I've always carried OWB, regardless of what firearm I carried, at about a 10-11:eek:clock position. When wearing jeans, I'll put the holster on my belt between the first ans second belt loop on my left side, then once my belt is buckled I slide the holster as far to the front (right directly behind the first loop) as I can.

My favorite holsters are fairly rigid leather, usually lined, and always .... always.... covers the trigger guard. In fact I'm awaiting my newest one made expressly for my new Hellcat as I type this. Shipping notice says it'll be here Saturday pm.

regards,
jumpinjoe
What holster did you end up ordering? I’m waiting for a MASC holster that I ordered on Amazon. It’s made in Turkey. I have one for my Kimber Master Carry Pro and it is beautiful, fits like a glove, and very reasonably priced. Only thing, they ship directly from Istanbul, so it won’t be here for more than a week.

Good article, thanks for posting. I carry IWB and AIWB, depending on situation. To me it’s quicker to draw from appendix than from the 3-4:00. As stated a good, quality holster that covers the trigger guard is key. When re-holstering have you trigger finger on the slide and not the trigger/trigger guard (of course).

I tried it, and at first really liked it. That was until I tried it for a whole day. I had a full day of activities, including a road trip (4 hours total), get into/out of a car half a dozen times, lunch at a restaurant, range time, etc. When I finally returned home I found that I was sore from the holster digging into my thigh and groin. In addition, one of the holster clips slipped off the belt once (probably due to my gut!). Based on these, I realized that it isn't for me, so I went back to my 3 o'clock carry. Note. I have tried it a couple of times since.

What holster did you end up ordering? I’m waiting for a MASC holster that I ordered on Amazon. It’s made in Turkey. I have one for my Kimber Master Carry Pro and it is beautiful, fits like a glove, and very reasonably priced. Only thing, they ship directly from Istanbul, so it won’t be here for more than a week.
My favorite is a BH21-P from "Black Hills" Leather (BlackHills Leather.com). Note: mine is for left handed carry, but I don't think that's part of the model number. Just be sure to specify which hand you need if you like it and buy it. You won't be sorry. About $70 as I recall. I'm currently using one for my PF9 that is reasonably rigid leather and unlined, but nicely finished. It holds the gun reasonably snug but with no binding. I recently ordered another one, but lined, for my Hellcat. In fact I'm expecting it in today's mail.

The Hellcat will fit into the PF9 holster, but it is a tad tight, and also with the SMSc red dot sight, it just barely touches the front edge of the PF9 holster. The new one will be an exact fit for the Hellcat w/SMSc sight. It rides pretty high on my belt and the trigger/guard is covered. And the best part is it fits the grip right into the softest part of my belly so it's comfortable and doesn't print even with a light T-shirt on.

I wear them on my left side, put on between the first and second belt loop on "Wrangler " jeans, then pushed forward as far as possible till it contacts the first belt loop on my left, about a 10-11 o:clock position. Over many years I, like most, have acquired a pretty good assortment of holsters of all kinds, sizes, and prices and found this one to be my all-time favorite.

regards,
jumpinjoe

Truth be told on this. I’ve carried AIWB sense I started to carry a firearm. I’ve yet to have a accident. That being said I also make sure when I re-holster I do it in the safest way I know how. If the situation ever arose where I had to pull a firearm in public I’d re-holster reluctantly and I’d go off my training and pull the holster out my firearm back in it and place it back where it goes.
I use the exact same technique myself especially if I'm using a leather IWB holster.

Back