testtest

Shoulder Holster Pros And Cons?

The Night Rider

Professional
I'm considering getting a shoulder holster.

My primary use for it would be VA appointments and the gym. I currently use my Safari Land paddle holster for the VA but I don't know if I'm wearing it wrong or what but it seems like it's almost impossible to get it off my belt and back on my belt while I'm still in the car. To clarify I unholster the gun and lock it up before I try to take the holster off my belt.

It would probably be easier if I was standing outside the car when I took the holster off and put it on but that kind of defeats the whole purpose of having it And it's only a matter of time before somebody sees me doing that at the VA. (Side note I don't care how things work at your VA Clinic. I don't care if the VA cops where you're at don't give a damn if you walk in with a shotgun on your shoulder I'm not doing anything to draw negative attention to myself. )

I don't know how much they actually care but with my luck, the first time I stepped out of the car to take that holster off my belt I would find out.

I've seen people walking in and out of the VA with empty holsters but to me it just seems like poking the bear.

My second issue is at the gym I currently carry my glock 26 in a pocket holster in a fanny pack. The first thing is it really seems to me like that Glock takes up a lot of room in that fanny pack and I think it's fairly obvious what's in it. The second thing is that there are some exercises that I do seated or squatting where the fanny pack really gets in the way.

I usually wear a sweatshirt or a hoodie with the sleeves cut off to the gym. There are only two exercises that I do on my back I think those are the only two that having a shoulder holster might be an issue because there's no way to secure the holster with my gym clothes and it would be difficult to keep it from flapping. Although, if I got a shoulder holster that connects to my belt I could wear shorts to the gym and use it that way to tie it down.

I'm considered a smart carry but since that's basically a fanny pack under my pants I feel like I'd run into the same problems with my squats and some of my leg exercises.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

This might or might not work for you. You can strap it on in a wide variety of positions, and it stays where you put it. I think it's superior to a shoulder holster, and much less of a PITA.

A shoulder holster is like most other pieces of equipment; you really won't know until you live with it.
Bellyband. Some love them, while others hate them. It is an option to consider. They work very well for some people while exercising.
Agree with Mr Wizard, until ya try it, won’t know how well it works. That being said, I think the ‘belly band’ type is best for your situation cuz you can hitch it around & it looks like pants/shorts waistband adjusting if u do it carefully & depending on your specific waistline or stomach dimensions as well as clothing worn (sleeveless hoodies ?), who’s gonna notice ? It’s not like you are some smoking hot chick that’s being scrutinized, (you aren’t, are you ?). I have a few ‘girthy about the middle’ friends who use it at their gyms to carry & haven’t been made yet. They aren’t hiding Desert Eagles or 44 mag revolvers but normal Glocks & S&W semis. Cheaper to try a good belly band than a cheap shoulder rig too

I used to use them way back when it was the “in” thing to do. After going to IWB, I never looked back.

One pro to them, I suppose, is it makes a nice, self-contained unit. Shrug it on, and you have a gun, reload, and carry method. There is little excuse not to have a gun when you go out the door if you have a shoulder rig and a jacket.

Having said that, I wear a gun constantly now, and don’t have to “put one on” on my way out.
I guess that might be a clue. Using something other than a shoulder holster might be why I can wear a gun constantly now.

I've seem to be the unconventional guy around here with many different choices that others make? My 2 favorite ways to carry is shoulder and drop leg. Shoulder carry in muzzle down position. Chest carry isn't much of an option unless, hunting. I carry in a manner that works with my body mechanics (not T800 🤣 ).

I've seem to be the unconventional guy around here with many different choices that others make? My 2 favorite ways to carry is shoulder and drop leg. Shoulder carry in muzzle down position. Chest carry isn't much of an option unless, hunting. I carry in a manner that works with my body mechanics (not T800 🤣 ).
Drop leg has to be open carry given you’re in Texas. I thought we were trying to confuse, I mean, help Night Rider w/ options - unless u were helping him clear people off the gym equip he wanted to use 😉

Drop leg has to be open carry given you’re in Texas. I thought we were trying to confuse, I mean, help Night Rider w/ options - unless u were helping him clear people off the gym equip he wanted to use 😉
Most don't like or not allowed to carry that way. Just 1 of my preferences. OWB is 1 of the hardest for me to operate at my 3 or 9 o'clockish positions. When it cones down to shoulder or owb/iwb, I'd choose shoulder every time! Easier for me to use.

I'm considering getting a shoulder holster.

My primary use for it would be VA appointments and the gym. I currently use my Safari Land paddle holster for the VA but I don't know if I'm wearing it wrong or what but it seems like it's almost impossible to get it off my belt and back on my belt while I'm still in the car. To clarify I unholster the gun and lock it up before I try to take the holster off my belt.

It would probably be easier if I was standing outside the car when I took the holster off and put it on but that kind of defeats the whole purpose of having it And it's only a matter of time before somebody sees me doing that at the VA. (Side note I don't care how things work at your VA Clinic. I don't care if the VA cops where you're at don't give a damn if you walk in with a shotgun on your shoulder I'm not doing anything to draw negative attention to myself. )

I don't know how much they actually care but with my luck, the first time I stepped out of the car to take that holster off my belt I would find out.

I've seen people walking in and out of the VA with empty holsters but to me it just seems like poking the bear.

My second issue is at the gym I currently carry my glock 26 in a pocket holster in a fanny pack. The first thing is it really seems to me like that Glock takes up a lot of room in that fanny pack and I think it's fairly obvious what's in it. The second thing is that there are some exercises that I do seated or squatting where the fanny pack really gets in the way.

I usually wear a sweatshirt or a hoodie with the sleeves cut off to the gym. There are only two exercises that I do on my back I think those are the only two that having a shoulder holster might be an issue because there's no way to secure the holster with my gym clothes and it would be difficult to keep it from flapping. Although, if I got a shoulder holster that connects to my belt I could wear shorts to the gym and use it that way to tie it down.

I'm considered a smart carry but since that's basically a fanny pack under my pants I feel like I'd run into the same problems with my squats and some of my leg exercises.

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.
at my VA hospital in Bonham, you would most assuredly get an extra look if walked in with an empty holster
no firearms are allowed on the reservation and there is no way to get in the hospital without being on the VA federal property.

i bet PC would be enough for one stellar police to stop and search .
but at the VA clinic in tyler, you can park in the shopping mall across the road and leave your stuff locked in the vehicle and no body minds,
they are anal about smoking, dont open door flick your buttt

Just don’t carry on VA property or in ANY federal building/office. It’s verboten, and will most assuredly get you in Serious hot water. Anybody walking with an empty holster is asking for trouble-certainly in some areas that could be perceived as “probable cause” for a vehicle search, which could then wind up being a federal charge for possession on a restricted reservation. The juice ain’t worth the squeeze. If you’re carrying and headed to a federal compound, as a minimum get the weapon (and holster) safely locked into a truck, lock box, etc. Before driving onto the federal reservation..

Just don’t carry on VA property or in ANY federal building/office. It’s verboten, and will most assuredly get you in Serious hot water. Anybody walking with an empty holster is asking for trouble-certainly in some areas that could be perceived as “probable cause” for a vehicle search, which could then wind up being a federal charge for possession on a restricted reservation. The juice ain’t worth the squeeze. If you’re carrying and headed to a federal compound, as a minimum get the weapon (and holster) safely locked into a truck, lock box, etc. Before driving onto the federal reservation..
Thanks for your input

It seems my VA practices don't ask don't ask, don't tell WRT to leaving a weapon in your car but I don't want someone to see me taking off my holster and raise a stink or misconstrue what I'm doing and go tell the VA cops I'm an active shooter.

I've mentioned the guy who wore the empty holster into the clinic. There was also a guy who walked in with a dagger sticking out of each boot. No one said anything to him either.

I park in the farthest lot from the building and usually not near any other vehicles. So I'm willing to chance leaving a gun locked in a lock box in my car.

It seems my VA practices don't ask don't ask, don't tell WRT to leaving a weapon in your car but I don't want someone to see me taking off my holster and raise a stink or misconstrue what I'm doing and go tell the VA cops I'm an active shooter.

I've mentioned the guy who wore the empty holster into the clinic. There was also a guy who walked in with a dagger sticking out of each boot. No one said anything to him either.

I park in the farthest lot from the building and usually not near any other vehicles. So I'm willing to chance leaving a gun locked in a lock box in my car.
Wise choice

There's nothing worse than sitting on your gun for hours.
Screenshot_20240310_142809_Samsung Internet.jpg

You sure about that?

Back