testtest

Sighting in

Always hear that if you sight your rifle in at an inch high at 100 yards it will be dead on at 200 yards. Fact or myth
Like everything it’s subjective. Certainly it depends on the rifle and the caliber. It will probably be close. A lot of people sight their deer rifles in 2” high at 50 yards, assuming it will be on at 100 yards. Your best bet is to sight it in at the distance you want it zero’d for.

Thanks want to be dead on at 100. Not alot of long shots in maine woods
I would bet a 30-30 or 30-06 or .243 or something is going to be pretty damn close at 100 yards if you’re zero’d at 50. Especially if you use Kentucky windage. 😉

I’d still sight it in at the proper distance and then shoot it at other distances to figure out your hold off though.

Just got this sako in 270. Most deer in maine are shot between 40 to 80 yards
If you sight it in at 100 yards you’re gonna be a little high at 50. As long as you’re decent at guessing distances and remember your hold off you’ll be fine.

1” off on a deer if aiming for vital organs area wont matter much anyway at usual distances you are talking about.
300 yard shot that .270’s are capable of, yes, then I’d get nitty gritty.

Looks like a 50yd zero puts you an inch low at 100, give or take a tenth.

For the distances the OP is talking about, I'd zero at 75; that would put you about .5” high at 50, and the same at 100...and that’s a dead on hold at both distances in my book.

This data would pretty much be the same for any 130gr .270 at about that velocity at the ranges we are talking about...
133D2DFC-19B3-419B-B341-03A9A4195674.jpeg

I zeroed my Colt M4 at a "battle zero" of 50 yards, both my optics and my BUIS. It's about an 1.5 inch spread from zero out to 200 yards. Not a sniper zero by any means but anything from 25 yards out to around 230 yards, you'll hit your target.

Back