testtest

SMSc vs WASP

I've not done a direct comparison of the two, but have had a SMSc on my Hellcat for about a year now and like it better every time I go to the range. (y)(y)(y)
Have you needed to replace the battery yet?
Does it co-witness well?
Have you had any snag occasions when unholstering from a conceal carry location?
Do you have any critiques about it yet?
Thanks

I'm still on the original battery. My plan was to let this one go till it dies just to know for sure about how long it will last in a 'case of have to'. But after I change it out at that point, from then on I'll probably change it once a year every year much like my smoke detectors and truck key FOB.

Snag has never been a concern in my CCW position .... left side about 11:00. Sorta a left side appendix carry using an OWB leather holster from "Black Hills Leather".

As for co-witnessing, it was designed just for that purpose and co-witnesses perfectly .... 100%. No 'lower third' or any of that. I have the dot sitting directly on top of the front sight as if the dot were my target and I was using the irons with a 6:eek:clock hold. I'm sighted at approx 27-30'.

Placing a red laser in the chamber and pointing to a flat wall at 30', the red dot of the SMSc and the chamber laser cover each other perfectly. In order to see the red dot, I have to put a finger over the muzzle to block the laser.

I don't think you will be disappointed with either, but for sure I can vouch for the SMSc. Good luck in your choice.

I'm still on the original battery. My plan was to let this one go till it dies just to know for sure about how long it will last in a 'case of have to'. But after I change it out at that point, from then on I'll probably change it once a year every year much like my smoke detectors and truck key FOB.

Snag has never been a concern in my CCW position .... left side about 11:00. Sorta a left side appendix carry using an OWB leather holster from "Black Hills Leather".

As for co-witnessing, it was designed just for that purpose and co-witnesses perfectly .... 100%. No 'lower third' or any of that. I have the dot sitting directly on top of the front sight as if the dot were my target and I was using the irons with a 6:eek:clock hold. I'm sighted at approx 27-30'.

Placing a red laser in the chamber and pointing to a flat wall at 30', the red dot of the SMSc and the chamber laser cover each other perfectly. In order to see the red dot, I have to put a finger over the muzzle to block the laser.

I don't think you will be disappointed with either, but for sure I can vouch for the SMSc. Good luck in your choice.
Thanks!

As an aside, I have tried using it to snag/cock the pistol with no bad results. I can hang it on my pants pocket or even the shooting bench and use it to cock the pistol and it has stayed perfectly on target.

I have the Wasp and do like it. No problems yet. I’ve been very pleased. Was spot on right out of the box and has held it’s zero. A difference between the SMSc and the Wasp is the SMSc is a polymer frame and a polymer lens. The Wasp has an aluminum frame and a glass lens. And they are the same price. Although, the Wasp is currently sold out on the SA website. Not sure how long until they get some in. I’ve had zero problems with carrying concealed both IWB and OWB. I carry in around a 3 to 4 o’clock position on my right side.

I have the Wasp and do like it. No problems yet. I’ve been very pleased. Was spot on right out of the box and has held it’s zero. A difference between the SMSc and the Wasp is the SMSc is a polymer frame and a polymer lens. The Wasp has an aluminum frame and a glass lens. And they are the same price. Although, the Wasp is currently sold out on the SA website. Not sure how long until they get some in. I’ve had zero problems with carrying concealed both IWB and OWB. I carry in around a 3 to 4 o’clock position on my right side.
Have you needed to change the battery yet?
There should be a price difference because of materials used and Hex's IPx7 waterproof feature but demands that are surpassing supply chains may prevent price adjustments.
If Springfield would discount the SMSc, it would make the purchase more tempting.

Have not changed the battery yet. But the Hex Wasp has only been out a couple of months. The battery is supposed to last around two years or 65,000 hours.

You would think there would be a price difference, but there isn’t. SA probably can’t discount the SMSc because it is not their product. The SMSc is made by Shield Optics over in the UK. The Hex Wasp is actually SA’s own product and they can price that as they see fit. IMO, you really get a lot for that $299 price tag...

The rmsc and smsc in my opinion are just overpriced.

Also, how does a British company perform r&d when guns and ammunition are almost nonexistent in their country of origin?

All warranty work has to be sent to England, and you must pay in pounds on their website if you’re American that can lead to additional fees with your bank.

I recommend the Springfield line, or swampfox. This way you can deal with a company that has an actual footprint within the United States.I have a sentinel on my hellcat

The rmsc and smsc in my opinion are just overpriced.

Also, how does a British company perform r&d when guns and ammunition are almost nonexistent in their country of origin?

All warranty work has to be sent to England, and you must pay in pounds on their website if you’re American that can lead to additional fees with your bank.

I recommend the Springfield line, or swampfox. I have a sentinel on my hellcat
I agree with those good points.
I would love to buy and support Swampfox being an American company and I live nearby them in Denver, CO. But I'm shocked their micro Liberty optic doesn't have a cut for co-witnessing like Holosun.

I've got to spend money for an adaptor plate & screws for the Holosun and may lose co-witnessing without suppressor sights, but its worth it to gain the red ring around the dot for faster targeting and the convenient battery tray access to remove the need for unmounting and re-zeroing.

Swampfox's website says they were founded on the Fourth of July 2018. They're too new of a company to not have more innovation like the Asian company Holosun whose optics for full size pistols that even have solar power. I bought a pair of Springfield hellcats this month instead of Sig's P365 or Ruguer's Max9 because I want American products that have industry standard features like an accessory rail for my Mantis x10 training system. I hope Springfield, Swampfox and the other American companies step it up in the optics arena because I want to support them but they're not meeting some innovation demands yet.

Attachments

• Holosun on Hellcat.png
    Holosun on Hellcat.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 2,645
  • Holosun on Hellcat mount needed.png
    Holosun on Hellcat mount needed.png
    3 MB · Views: 1,580
Back