testtest

Some 1911 Help

I’m looking at another Springfield 1911 or I should say 3 and I need some help from 1911 experts on the pro’s and con’s of each. Below is the 3 I’m looking at.
Please let me know what would best serve me in EDC and home defense.
A66096C5-B37D-4C01-8E70-CD7DFD93C032.jpeg
AA654790-E4AA-4550-B24F-0C848674D7EB.jpeg
0A18B268-B875-4FC6-85A2-97F2809E60FA.jpeg

Personally l like the Elite Operator, I don’t like adjustable sites on a 1911 unless your just going to use it as a target or competition gun, for self defense, to me, fixed sites are better and more durable. I don’t currently own any 1911’s, I had wrist surgery and now can’t handle the slide coming back on one during recoil with a .45, I plan on getting one after taxes come back hopefully in 9mm, at one time, I owned several 1911’s, all Springfield’s. Anyway, with the ones you got picked out, I don’t see you going wrong on any of them.

I agree with the above so I would discard the top one because of the adjustable sights .

I have owned a Colt Combat Commander , Colt Gold Cup ( yes it had adjustable sights ) , and a Kimber Tactical Ultra II with 3 " BBL . I traded the Gold Cup ( well worn :) ) in on the Kimber so I could carry concealed when out of ILL. before we got the right to carry in this state. I have a Utah carry license also.

I traded the KImber in on my XDs.45 and a Ruger LCPII with extra mags for both.

I would agree with @Annihilator regarding adjustable sights; not necessary in a self defense situation. Any of those 1911s would suffice. The other question involves the necessity of a rail. Do you plan on using a gun light and/or laser? If not, and money is a concern, don’t spend extra on a 1911 with a rail. Lastly, I would personally invest in replacing the factory fiber optic sights with night sights. Most self defense shootings involve “point shooting,” but in a situation where you may be able to sight in your target, I would want tritium sights, as your self defense situation in your house will most likely involve low light.

Last edited:
Fixed sights...I see you have chosen all 45's but maybe you might like a 10. I use a RO Elite 10mm with a light very frequently for my home defense. I also put TFX Pro Orange Day/Night sights on practically all of my pistols. Of the 3 I would go with the RO Elite Operator

It has been a while since I carried a full size 1911 .45. I do remember it is a heavy large weapon for EDC. It will be hard to conceal and by the end of the day you will be glad to get rid of the weight especially if you carry extra magazines. You might want to look at a Commander sized 1911 or one of the compact 1911s. What type holster are you thinking of carrying it in? Just my two cents from carrying for 45 years.

Last edited:
Personally l like the Elite Operator, I don’t like adjustable sites on a 1911 unless your just going to use it as a target or competition gun, for self defense, to me, fixed sites are better and more durable. I don’t currently own any 1911’s, I had wrist surgery and now can’t handle the slide coming back on one during recoil with a .45, I plan on getting one after taxes come back hopefully in 9mm, at one time, I owned several 1911’s, all Springfield’s. Anyway, with the ones you got picked out, I don’t see you going wrong on any of them.
I second that.

Thank you for all the information guys.
I wasn’t thinking about the fixed/adjustable site issue.
The picture below is the holster I have on order so I don’t believe if I’ll have an issue with The adjustable site on my RO.
I’m leaning in the direction of the Ronin for my second 1911 although I’m having a hard time finding one just to hold and look at. the price on one site was $699 which also made it more attractive.
E7DD82AF-C5A6-404E-9D3C-E0831E795217.jpeg

Thank you for all the information guys.
I wasn’t thinking about the fixed/adjustable site issue.
The picture below is the holster I have on order so I don’t believe if I’ll have an issue with The adjustable site on my RO.
I’m leaning in the direction of the Ronin for my second 1911 although I’m having a hard time finding one just to hold and look at. the price on one site was $699 which also made it more attractive. View attachment 2337
Very nice looking holster.

All the 1911's shown are nice guns. Personally I do not like a rail on a 1911 but that is just me. If it was going to be an EDC I would like a Bobtail like you show in the holster pic. Sig makes a nice one as well as the Kimber Aegis.

What do you plan on doing with this 1911? Will you carry it? A range gun? HD gun? I see you have a RO, do you carry that one on your person now? If it is a range gun nothing wrong with adjustable sights. If it will be a HD gun then the one with the rail may be a better choice for a WML. Either one of the 3 will serve you well nonetheless.

Back