testtest

Springfield XDM-Elite 3.8 inch 9mm

This one is on my short list of possible next handgun purchases. Does anyone have this model and, if so, willing to give some comments on whether or not you think it would be practical for concealed carry? I have a Springfield XD MOD 2 4-inch Grip Zone .45 CAL and the Elite looks to be a quarter of an inch taller, but also a couple of ounces lighter and just a tad thinner as far as grip width compared to the Mod 2 .45. I do not carry my Mod 2 concealed, it seems a bit bulky for concealed carry, it's my primary home defense handgun, so that's my frame of reference. I'm curious how easily the XDM Elite 9mm would be to conceal and if anyone has any info they could share. It seems that it would be a bit heavy loaded up with 21 rounds of 9mm. Thanks as always for any input, it's appreciated.

My XD-M Elite 3.8 9mm came with 2 20 round mags. The Grip on the gun is "Full Size" it makes it difficult to conceal appendix under a T-Shirt during the summer, with a jacket on its no problem. I am currently using a T-Rex Arms Sidecar style holster. The xdm elite is a great handgun , the ergonomics and trigger are excellent.

My XD-M Elite 3.8 9mm came with 2 20 round mags. The Grip on the gun is "Full Size" it makes it difficult to conceal appendix under a T-Shirt during the summer, with a jacket on its no problem. I am currently using a T-Rex Arms Sidecar style holster. The xdm elite is a great handgun , the ergonomics and trigger are excellent.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. At this time, I have my next purchase down to either the XDM-E 3.8 9mm or the CZ P10C....decisions, decisions...lol

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. At this time, I have my next purchase down to either the XDM-E 3.8 9mm or the CZ P10C....decisions, decisions...lol
Hey Ghost, you may want to also check out the CZ P10S. I recently purchase one and it looks to be a bit better for Conceal Carry (at least for my taste). It's their new "Sub Compact", and the link below shows the comparison between the two (and you could always carry the larger capacity mags):
My buddy the sales guy was trying to interest me in the CZ Shadow 2 Orange, but at $1995.99, I declined and picked up the CZ P10S and a Springfield Armory Saint Victor 300 BO Pistol, together for less then the cost of the Shadow 2.
But good luck whichever way you go.

Hey Ghost, you may want to also check out the CZ P10S. I recently purchase one and it looks to be a bit better for Conceal Carry (at least for my taste). It's their new "Sub Compact", and the link below shows the comparison between the two (and you could always carry the larger capacity mags):
My buddy the sales guy was trying to interest me in the CZ Shadow 2 Orange, but at $1995.99, I declined and picked up the CZ P10S and a Springfield Armory Saint Victor 300 BO Pistol, together for less then the cost of the Shadow 2.
Thanks for the info BET7. I've held both the P10C and P10S. I have very large paws and, although I'm a fan of sub compact pistols, the P10S just didn't feel right. On the flip side, the P10C I picked up was magical..lol. It was one of the best feeling handguns I've ever picked up, BUT so was the SA Elite 9mm. As far as concealment, the P10C gets the nod on that count, but 20 rounds of 9mm in the SA? That's almost too good to pass up. I seriously considered the P10S but it would involve buying some new base plates for the 12 round stock mags, there are several kinds that you can buy for the P10S, but without going hands on, it's hard to know which ones would fit my big old mits better. Like I said, the P10C felt very natural in my hands and I have a holster that will conceal it very nicely.

Did you have to put mag base extensions on your P10S? Was curious what kind you went with if you did. Would you have any pics handy? The P10S is not TOTALLY out of the running yet, but so far what I'm looking at is buying the P10C with factory night sights, then I'd just need four extra mags for my standard "six mags per handgun minimum" OCD rule I have in my head, and that would be about it as far as investment goes in the P10C. I like the grips as they come so it's ready to go right out of the box for me.

Expanding on my already too length response, I love that handgun hero site...lol. I have a Taurus G3 9mm, superb handgun btw, and I've been using it to compare to the P10C on that site, they're just about even. I also have a Taurus G3C, which I compared to the P10S. The G3C, with the stock 12 round mag, I can get my pinky around the flared bottom of the mag for a really good grip but it's tight, and the P10S is even shorter than the G3C, then when I actually held one a few week ago, there wasn't room for my pinky at all on the P10S. I have a very hard time shooting that small of a handgun, so it would definitely have to have an extended mag for me to even consider it. I haven't been able to find any extended stock mags for the P10S, just base plates. No big deal to replace them, but like I said, I'm just not sure about the P10S. It does look much more concealable for sure.

Thanks for the info BET7. I've held both the P10C and P10S. I have very large paws and, although I'm a fan of sub compact pistols, the P10S just didn't feel right. On the flip side, the P10C I picked up was magical..lol. It was one of the best feeling handguns I've ever picked up, BUT so was the SA Elite 9mm. As far as concealment, the P10C gets the nod on that count, but 20 rounds of 9mm in the SA? That's almost too good to pass up. I seriously considered the P10S but it would involve buying some new base plates for the 12 round stock mags, there are several kinds that you can buy for the P10S, but without going hands on, it's hard to know which ones would fit my big old mits better. Like I said, the P10C felt very natural in my hands and I have a holster that will conceal it very nicely.

Did you have to put mag base extensions on your P10S? Was curious what kind you went with if you did. Would you have any pics handy? The P10S is not TOTALLY out of the running yet, but so far what I'm looking at is buying the P10C with factory night sights, then I'd just need four extra mags for my standard "six mags per handgun minimum" OCD rule I have in my head, and that would be about it as far as investment goes in the P10C. I like the grips as they come so it's ready to go right out of the box for me.
Nope, no mags or extenders yet, it feels pretty comfortable as is. I literally bought the gun last week and haven't done anything with it yet. I usually will have at least 7 mags per firearm. At lot of my early EDC candidates are in the 3"-3.3" bbl range. Recently I've been getting/looking for pistols with a longer slide and thus sight picture, being at 3.5"-3.7" bbl, but still with smaller grips for less printing. It's the reason I went with the "S" vs "C" (even though I don't think they had the P10C there in stock). I felt the "C" would be more like the Glock G19, which I own & like, but is a bit to large to carry for my tastes. I'm more like you where the pinky extender is concerned, so an extender may be in order. I did install them on all of my Performance Center Shields, and they do give me a better grip there, for sure.

Nope, no mags or extenders yet, it feels pretty comfortable as is. I literally bought the gun last week and haven't done anything with it yet. I usually will have at least 7 mags per firearm. At lot of my early EDC candidates are in the 3"-3.3" bbl range. Recently I've been getting/looking for pistols with a longer slide and thus sight picture, being at 3.5"-3.7" bbl, but still with smaller grips for less printing. It's the reason I went with the "S" vs "C" (even though I don't think they had the P10C there in stock). I felt the "C" would be more like the Glock G19, which I own & like, but is a bit to large to carry for my tastes. I'm more like you where the pinky extender is concerned, so an extender may be in order. I did install them on all of my Performance Center Shields, and they do give me a better grip there, for sure.
I have a 45 Shield that I absolutely adore and would NOT trade for anything. Great carry gun, if not the best I've ever carried, then close to. I've been looking at the Shield 45 2.0 Performance Center ported version with much drooling..lol I go back and forth over what I want next. The last three handguns I've bought were subcompacts so I think I'm going to go with a mid-size with the P10C or the XDM-E 3.8 9mm.

Last edited:
The CZ P10 is an awesome gun with a great out of the box trigger.

The CZ P10 is an awesome gun with a great out of the box trigger.
Yeah, I think so 10 (when I tried it at the LGS). I watch Hickok45 do the review of the P10C, and he like everything the gun had to offer. He and others described it as the "Glock" killer, but like he mentioned, there are numerous similar manufactured like firearms on the market now (a good thing), that could also be called "Glock" killers. (Psst. 🤫, Don't tell TFL 😆 ).

I have a 45 Shield that I absolutely adore and would NOT trade for anything. Great carry gun, if not the best I've ever carried, then close to. I've been looking at the Shield 45 2.0 Performance Center ported version with much drooling..lol I go back and forth over what I want next. The last three handguns I've bought were subcompacts so I think I'm going to go with a mid-size with the P10C or the XDM-E 3.8 9mm.
I hear you, I got the PC 1.0 Shield's in 9, 40, and 45 (45 in which I carry a lot). I also got the S&W M&P Compacts (3.7" bbl) in 9 and 40, and ordered the 45 (that has a 4" bbl, so it may be more like the Glock19 to carry, I'll have to see when and if it comes in)

I hear you, I got the PC 1.0 Shield's in 9, 40, and 45 (45 in which I carry a lot). I also got the S&W M&P Compacts (3.7" bbl) in 9 and 40, and ordered the 45 (that has a 4" bbl, so it may be more like the Glock19 to carry, I'll have to see when and if it comes in)
I'm a big fan of the Shield series. Not so much the S&W compacts, the grip on just about every model S&W Compact I've put my hands on just feels strange and too wide. As I've gotten older, and I'm not sure why this is, my hands are the same meaty size they've been for years, I seem to be pulled toward thinner grips on a handgun. The grip on the 45 Shield is just about the best I've ever wrapped my hands around, and I tend to judge all grips by the ones on the Shield now. I used to carry nothing but Glocks but the last few years, the grip on them just doesn't feel right. I'm not knocking Glocks, I trust them completely but there is something to be said about the way a gun feels in your hand.......Does that read as silly as it sounded saying it in my head? I really hope not. I've branched out with the Springfield XD45 Mod 2 4-inch, feels great in my hand as do my three Taurus G series pistol. When I bought the Shield, I was really blown away at how comfortable it is in my hand, maybe kind of 1911 type grip to it? Not sure, but I definitely like it. When I held the CZ P10C I was blown away, it screamed "BUY ME!", but I didn't have the funds at the time. Next week I'll be on a search to find the best price on one I can either locally or online and I'll probably go with the P10C. The Springfield will probably be pushed to my next pistol purchase on down the line a few months.

I'm a big fan of the Shield series. Not so much the S&W compacts, the grip on just about every model S&W Compact I've put my hands on just feels strange and too wide. As I've gotten older, and I'm not sure why this is, my hands are the same meaty size they've been for years, I seem to be pulled toward thinner grips on a handgun. The grip on the 45 Shield is just about the best I've ever wrapped my hands around, and I tend to judge all grips by the ones on the Shield now. I used to carry nothing but Glocks but the last few years, the grip on them just doesn't feel right. I'm not knocking Glocks, I trust them completely but there is something to be said about the way a gun feels in your hand.......Does that read as silly as it sounded saying it in my head? I really hope not. I've branched out with the Springfield XD45 Mod 2 4-inch, feels great in my hand as do my three Taurus G series pistol. When I bought the Shield, I was really blown away at how comfortable it is in my hand, maybe kind of 1911 type grip to it? Not sure, but I definitely like it. When I held the CZ P10C I was blown away, it screamed "BUY ME!", but I didn't have the funds at the time. Next week I'll be on a search to find the best price on one I can either locally or online and I'll probably go with the P10C. The Springfield will probably be pushed to my next pistol purchase on down the line a few months.
No Ghost, I know exactly what your saying about how a gun feels in your hand. Two of the best that fit fantastically for me are my FNS9c and my HK9SK. CZ's and Beretta's have come close. My Walther CCP M2 9mm fit fantasticly and could have been an EDC canidate, if not for the fact that I had several issues with FTF, FTE using Blazer Brass ammo, that my other 9mm compacts all ate up (but boy did that fit nice in hand).

No Ghost, I know exactly what your saying about how a gun feels in your hand. Two of the best that fit fantastically for me are my FNS9c and my HK9SK. CZ's and Beretta's have come close. My Walther CCP M2 9mm fit fantasticly and could have been an EDC canidate, if not for the fact that I had several issues with FTF, FTE using Blazer Brass ammo, that my other 9mm compacts all ate up (but boy did that fit nice in hand).
You know you’ve found a good feeling handgun when it feels like your pointing your finger instead of a pistol....lol
I almost bought a Walther CCP last year at a gun show, guy only wanted $299 for it back before all the craziness. It actually fit my hand really well. For a smaller pistol it had a great grip.

I picked up an XDM Elite 3.8" a few weeks back. I think your ability to conceal the pistol will depend a lot on your build and wardrobe. I can conceal it while carrying appendix, but I am a big guy (6'05", 270 lbs). Even with my size, concealing the XDM Elite still requires a loose-fitting shirt. Concealing the gun IWB is going to very difficult if your wardrobe consists of tight t-shirts and skinny jeans.

I picked up an XDM Elite 3.8" a few weeks back. I think your ability to conceal the pistol will depend a lot on your build and wardrobe. I can conceal it while carrying appendix, but I am a big guy (6'05", 270 lbs). Even with my size, concealing the XDM Elite still requires a loose-fitting shirt. Concealing the gun IWB is going to very difficult if your wardrobe consists of tight t-shirts and skinny jeans.
Thanks for the info. I'm leaning toward the CZ at this point due to it being a bit more concealable, but I definitely want to pick up one of the XDM Elite 3.8 9mms at some point for sure.

I know I'm a little late to this party, but if you haven't purchased one of these guns yet, I'd like to weigh in. And really, Springfield answered your call to this thread question. The new XDM Elite 3.8" subcompact... I bought the 3.8" full size grip a couple months ago and was absolutely shocked by the trigger. I have a Walther PPQ, HK VP9's and have shot a CZ P-10c. I think the XDM Elite trigger is every bit as good if not better than the above mentioned guns! I was not expecting such a high level performance trigger. The fiber optic sights make it super easy to shoot accurately.
I was very disappointed when Springfield discontinued the Mod 2., and though I still prefer that grip, the XDM elite trigger makes up the difference. Now they introduce this in a carry size? In my opinion, it's a win-win.

Back