testtest

Squirrel Hunting Guide....

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
for you Easterners that like/want to hunt tree rats....

Hunting squirrels will make you more comfortable with the rhythm of the forest, improving yourself for other outdoor excursions, including hunting big game. Get started with squirrel hunting with this helpful guide:

Squirrel Hunting Guide

1644005939804.png

for you Easterners that like/want to hunt tree rats....

Hunting squirrels will make you more comfortable with the rhythm of the forest, improving yourself for other outdoor excursions, including hunting big game. Get started with squirrel hunting with this helpful guide:

Squirrel Hunting Guide

View attachment 24569
I'm gonna be doing some hunting this year (FINALLY) so this is perfect. Also kind of ironic, as I was looking at ways to improve my 10/22 because who doesn't like doing things like that?

Love me some squirrel. We got some big fox squirrels here. The last 10 yrs I've noticed more and more black squirrels which I never seen in my youth. It would take a lot of those little suckers ☺️
The black ones are just a color phase of either the gray or fox squirrels.

I'm pretty sure I wrote here on this forum that one of my two all time favorite hunts is an early morning stroll through the damp leaves under a big oak grove quietly searching the tree tops for squirrel. The other is an afternoon of quail hunting over a couple of near perfect Brittanies working together, each one backing the other's points at appropriate times.

As for the squirrels, I've often considered them the biggest of small game, or the smallest of big game there is anywhere. And they're one of my all time favorite dishes for a Sunday dinner.

When we first married, my new bride thought eating those cute, little, furry things was about as vulgar as anything she had ever heard of. But then my mom taught her just how to cook them, then smother and simmer them in a thick, brown gravy, then serve them over a big bed of white rice. Yep, that's all it took for her to fully understand how much god must have loved us to make us meat eaters and provide us all those tasty little tree rats treats. (y)(y)(y)

Well, I never really cared much for bear, and even less for racoon. Both are pretty greasy to me. Oh yeh, and I'm not real big on ducks either for the same reason. On the other hand, armadillo, especially young ones are a lot like fresh pork.
Well to be honest , I have never had Bear meat but would certainly give it a go. I have eaten Beaver tail , young ground hog ( woodchuck to some ) , Racoon but always BBQed ( love it ) , and have eaten a few bites of muskrat which tasted good until I swallowed it and then it left a greasy taste in my mouth. I have eaten Squirrel , Quail , Pheasant , Dove , Duck , Goose , Rabbit , and Deer.

One of the best ways to fix Duck and Goose is to fillet the breast out of each and then cut the breast into about 3/16" thick pieces . Put saltine crackers in a ziplock baggie and grind them into powder with a rolling pin. In a bowl beat 2 or 3 eggs . Get your skillet with grease hot , swedge the breast meat slices in the egg then into the cracker crumbs powder. Place in hot oil and fry about 3 min. until golden brown , turn onto other side and repeat. It tastes great and can cut with just a fork.

The black ones are just a color phase of either the gray or fox squirrels.
There is a distinctive species along the rockies that is black. Not a phase.
Cannot think of the name off hand, but they were around the summer house in CO.

Edit: Aberts squirrel
Can be black, gray or brownish colors

3548EC0B-819B-4925-B94B-D15A9F110E24.jpeg
EBEAB04A-5FC0-4213-99BB-96F71AA31891.jpeg

Last edited:
Well to be honest , I have never had Bear meat but would certainly give it a go. I have eaten Beaver tail , young ground hog ( woodchuck to some ) , Racoon but always BBQed ( love it ) , and have eaten a few bites of muskrat which tasted good until I swallowed it and then it left a greasy taste in my mouth. I have eaten Squirrel , Quail , Pheasant , Dove , Duck , Goose , Rabbit , and Deer.

One of the best ways to fix Duck and Goose is to fillet the breast out of each and then cut the breast into about 3/16" thick pieces . Put saltine crackers in a ziplock baggie and grind them into powder with a rolling pin. In a bowl beat 2 or 3 eggs . Get your skillet with grease hot , swedge the breast meat slices in the egg then into the cracker crumbs powder. Place in hot oil and fry about 3 min. until golden brown , turn onto other side and repeat. It tastes great and can cut with just a fork.
I fix wild duck breast from an old steakhouse recipe:
Soak in salt water in a baggie for 24 hours.
Then marinate another 24 hrs in Worcestershire, garlic, ginger powder, bay leaf, and some orange peel. Dash of soy. 1/4 cup red wine.

Sauce: 3 tablespoons raspberry jam and 2 cups of a hearty red wine like Cab or Merlot.
Bring to a slow simmer and reduce to a thicker sauce about 20 min

Pan fry duck over med low heat in a cast iron skillet with olive oil until med rare.

Plate duck and pour reduction sauce over the duck breast.
10074EF5-3ADF-43AE-85CB-55D598B8FF04.jpeg

Boy did I get my butt whooped over a black squirrel 55 odd years ago when I was like 6. My grand uncle, closest thing to a grand parent I knew as a kid hated the black squirrels, they ate the pears on his tree more than others, or so he thought. He also thought they came across from Canada when the Blue Water bridge was built. He always called them those black bast****. Yeah you can see where this is headed.

Well there was a family, black family, who were the nicest people, they sure helped my fathers family eat, poor, during some rough times when he was young. I loved the old matriarch, he was the nicest man and my parents first house was bought from him.

Well one day there was a black squirrel in the side yard, and Mr. Johnson was out in his side yard, but I only saw the squirrel. I yelled at dad that there was a black bas**** outside in our yard. Dad looked and saw only Mr Johnson and boy did I get it...

Know this family today, and they are what I can only aspire to be...

Last edited:
Back