testtest

SST vs GMX

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
I can't find my 165gr SSTs at the moment so I bought some closeout 165gr GMXs for my Victor .308. I loaded both to 2.800 inch. The SSTs are above 42.5gr IMR 4895, the GMXs are above 42.5gr of 4064. I compared both of them this morning. About 34 degrees with a 30mph wind from my rear left shoulder, gusting to 50mph. The GMXs hit about 1.5 inches right of the SSTs at 100y but but the same elevation. Both around 1.5 moa for a 5-group. The difference was in effectiveness. I bought a bunch of pineapples of similar size and ripeness. The SSTs took nice chunks out of the pineapples but it took a couple to completely dispatch the fruit. The GMXs obliterated the entire pineapple on the first shot. I can't imagine a deer taking that kind of damage to the kill zones and going very far so my mind is made up. I'm getting a few more boxes of the GMXs and load 'em up. I can't imagine needed more that 150 hunting rounds for that rifle the rest of my life. I'm aware Hornady discontinued the GMX and has a new ballistic tip monolith coming out, the CX. I'll look forward to comparing the two. Maybe a comparison with the TTSX, as well.

Back