testtest

Stamped Concrete Patio Question (sealer question)

Jfal

Professional
Any input welcome. 2 years ago I hired a guy (based on a couple recommendations) to install a 900 square foot, shaped, colored, antiqued, stamped concrete back-yard patio to replace an old rotted deck. Looks great, enjoy it a lot, but I know I'll need to seal it again soon. I know you can't apply solvent-based sealers over water-based. I have no idea what the guy installed, and he may be out of business...he does not return calls or e-mails. I just want to know if he used solvent or water-based sealer. I tested a small amount of solvent sealer and it did NOT absorb at all...which leads me to believe he may have used water-based. Does anyone know how to test for what was applied? Is it as simple as getting a small amount of water-based sealer, try it on a test spot, and go from there? Is it maybe the antiquing coloring that prevents a sealer from absorbing?

Yes, I will go talk to another professional...but I thought maybe one you might have insight.

Homeowner handyman opinion:

Did you try flipping over one of the pavers to see if and how it will absorbs compared to the top side ?

A contractor tends to use the least expensive product, likely what’s sold at the big box store. But some use generic Thompson’s water seal but that stuff smells for days. If you didn’t smell solvent when the bricks were installed, it’s a sign of water-based product.

Generally a concrete sealer is more cosmetic than protective regardless what they claim.
Both water and solvent based will wear away over time, in 2 yrs it depends on what weather it’s exposed to...full sun, snow, heavy rain and of course foot traffic.
In some areas/blocks/pavers porous concrete will retain/absorb more product and at different rates than others just like cedar or pine boards.

Does the water still bead? That’s an indicator there’s still sealant on the surface. I would gently power wash and scrub and allow the pavers to Thoroughly Dry before re-sealing.

Sealing as I said is more “wet look” to hide imperfections- it’s why Hollywood always has wet streets in movies, adds drama. I have red/brown driveway brick pavers that were set 15 yrs ago, very little deterioration and it’s in Midwest sun/rain/snow & ice. I’ll seal only when I’m ready to pack up and leave (IL.) for curb appeal.

Water based sealers do not last as long as solvent, it doesn’t penetrate deep, so a bit of TSP cleaner and scrubbing will be needed if it’s still on your pavers blocks.

Solvent can be applied over water based sealers but water-based cannot be used over any previously solvent coated materials, results will vary as solvent repels water, but that always be the rule of thumb in paint and flooring.

Sealing as I said is more “wet look” to hide imperfections- it’s why Hollywood always has wet streets in movies, adds drama. I have red/brown driveway brick pavers that were set 15 yrs ago, very little deterioration and it’s in Midwest sun/rain/snow & ice. I’ll seal only when I’m ready to pack up and leave (IL.) for curb appeal.
yeah, it's what makes all the vehicles in car chases slide better.....

Homeowner handyman opinion:

Did you try flipping over one of the pavers to see if and how it will absorbs compared to the top side ?

A contractor tends to use the least expensive product, likely what’s sold at the big box store. But some use generic Thompson’s water seal but that stuff smells for days. If you didn’t smell solvent when the bricks were installed, it’s a sign of water-based product.

Generally a concrete sealer is more cosmetic than protective regardless what they claim.
Both water and solvent based will wear away over time, in 2 yrs it depends on what weather it’s exposed to...full sun, snow, heavy rain and of course foot traffic.
In some areas/blocks/pavers porous concrete will retain/absorb more product and at different rates than others just like cedar or pine boards.

Does the water still bead? That’s an indicator there’s still sealant on the surface. I would gently power wash and scrub and allow the pavers to Thoroughly Dry before re-sealing.

Water based sealers do not last as long as solvent, it doesn’t penetrate deep, so a bit of TSP cleaner and scrubbing will be needed if it’s still on your pavers blocks.

Solvent can be applied over water based sealers but water-based cannot be used over any previously solvent coated materials, results will vary as solvent repels water, but that always be the rule of thumb in paint and flooring.
Thanks for the reply, lots of info...my patio is a slab of stamped concrete. Attached is a pic. After significant time spent online researching...I came up with bupkis on determining what kind of sealer may be on it, I'll have to talk to someone. Can't turn over a paver...don't have any.

Solvent sealers can NOT be applied on top of water-based. The water-based sealer must be chemically stripped before a solvent sealer can be applied...that's one thing I can verify by the manufacturer of a sealer I am looking at (Foundation Armor AR350), as well as a number of sources on the inter webs.

Attachments

• Patio.jpg
    Patio.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 95
If in doubt, strip it! It will cost you a bit more, and take a little longer but you are then starting from scratch and you have the choice of whatever product best suits your needs without having to worry about unintended consequences if you're wrong.

I have stamped concrete back and front I don’t remember the name of the product I use every other year I seal it I think it’s called wet look got it at Home Depot works great still has a nice shine to it if you do it every other year . I buy a cheap pump sprayer st harbor freight and Toss it out after I am done stuff is made by DuPont I think all the Home Depot has them good luck

I use the stuff from Home Depot I think it’s called wet look for concrete it work well I do it every 2 years around pool and front drive way it always stays nice looking

I have a greenish color in the front driveway ours wash like that before they seal it with wet look they did power washed it first

Depends on your sealer. I applied the first coat of sealer to my stamped patio this fall, couldn't get the 2nd coat on due to work and/or rain (and eventually cold temps). Whether the gray color goes away depends on the type of sealer you chose I think. I used Foundation Armor AR350 Solvent-Based Acrylic....it looks wet whether it's wet or dry, which is what we wanted. It turned out fantastic, btw. I do not know if water-based sealers can look wet when dry. I also don't know about "gloss" for a sealer description....plenty of sealers have a "dry" look or a "wet" look...I would assume "gloss" means a "wet" look.

In short, I think a wet-look sealer will eliminate the haze. No idea about a dry-look sealant. Either way, holy crap is this stuff expensive ($250/5gal...needed 10gal). At least it only needs recovering every 4-5 years.

Back