testtest

Subcompact brief test

youngolddude

Professional
I cleaned and lubed 4 subcompacts and took them to the range today. 10 rounds of range FMJ on targets at 15 yards. Never shot them before. The results might surprise you. The Ruger had a few extra rounds on the same target in case you're counting holes. This was just to get initial shooting and handling impressions. Next time, I'll take a mag loader because my thumbs gave out in record time. Either that or a bunch of volunteers to load mags. I hoped to use about 300 rounds, but those mag springs felt tougher than the recoils springs. Admittedly more rounds are necessary before getting really excited, so we'll see. In hand, they were different, but were comfortable.

The CSX clearly didn't like the ammo, I'll try other brands later. Must have had a 12" pattern. It had the heaviest felt recoil, nothing painful. I was disappointed........
The Hellcat seemed to move most in my hand, but all rounds were on target.
The Ruger and Shield were the easiest to shoot with the softest recoil. Both were purchased new @ $389. Since the Ruger had an optic cut and a Tritium fiber optic sight, I would call this the winner in this brief test. For complete specs, see tests online or manufacturer for details that may interest you.

I am hoping the CSX tightens up the group or it will go back to S&W.

Attachments

• S&W Shield +.jpg
    S&W Shield +.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Ruger Max 9.jpg
    Ruger Max 9.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Hellcat.jpg
    Hellcat.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 71
  • S&W CSX.jpg
    S&W CSX.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 75
I cleaned and lubed 4 subcompacts and took them to the range today. 10 rounds of range FMJ on targets at 15 yards. Never shot them before. The results might surprise you. The Ruger had a few extra rounds on the same target in case you're counting holes. This was just to get initial shooting and handling impressions. Next time, I'll take a mag loader because my thumbs gave out in record time. Either that or a bunch of volunteers to load mags. I hoped to use about 300 rounds, but those mag springs felt tougher than the recoils springs. Admittedly more rounds are necessary before getting really excited, so we'll see. In hand, they were different, but were comfortable.

The CSX clearly didn't like the ammo, I'll try other brands later. Must have had a 12" pattern. It had the heaviest felt recoil, nothing painful. I was disappointed........
The Hellcat seemed to move most in my hand, but all rounds were on target.
The Ruger and Shield were the easiest to shoot with the softest recoil. Both were purchased new @ $389. Since the Ruger had an optic cut and a Tritium fiber optic sight, I would call this the winner in this brief test. For complete specs, see tests online or manufacturer for details that may interest you.

I am hoping the CSX tightens up the group or it will go back to S&W.
Bummer about the csx. But it was its first time out. Thanks for the report.

I've been meaning to try the Ruger Max-9. I bought a Sig Sauer P365 and a Hellcat when they were released. The Hellcat is a fine pistol, but I was more accurate with the P365, and it felt better in my hand. The P365 was my EDC for several years, but I became curious about the S&W Shield Plus when it was released. For me, the Shield Plus offered the best mix of accuracy/concealability/capacity, so it became my EDC earlier this year.

I own a few Ruger firearms, and have always been impressed by the quality. I've received several positive reviews of the Max-9 from shooters who I trust. The only reason I haven't purchased one is that I can only justify owning so many micro-9 carry pistols. If shooters I trust keep liking the Max-9, I may have to break down and add one to my collection.

I own two Shield 9's, the 1.0 and 2.0 besides the Shield in .45. I've enjoyed them since their introduction as I've found them comfortable, soft shooting and accurate. I have multiple single action Rugers since my wife and I shoot cowboy action and previously owned an LCP II (another nice gun). When I saw the Ruger on sale, I snagged it over consideration of the LCP II Max. The features of the Max 9 overpowered the LCP Max and made the decision for me. Sights, optic cut slide, two magazines and in 9mm instead of .380 besides being within $10 of each other. Similarly, I saw the Shield Plus on sale and given my previous enjoyment of the line, it seemed like a no brainer.
My first impressions suggest both the Max 9 and Shield Plus will be keepers for me. I like the CSX too much to give up, so I need to find ammo it likes or return it to S&W if it can't group. Disappointed, sure, but sometimes handguns are fickle and will perform with certain ammo.
I certainly don't need half a dozen guns of this category and will be selling the excess.

Back